My new server

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PeterWelzien

My new server

Post by PeterWelzien » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:43 am

Hi. I've finally managed to build myself a new server. The old one was built with the cheapest case and PSU I could find and sounded like a jet plane. When the PSU died I got my rear in gear and built a new one.

Parts:
Antec NSK3480 (I love this case!)
Athlon 5050e
Thermalright HR-01+
2 WDC WD5000AACS

Mods:
I've replaced the chassis fan with a Noctua NF-S12-800. The PSU fan with a Nexus Real Silent Case Fan SP802512L-03. It's connected to the PSU, so the PSU controls the speed, but the yellow wire is connected to the motherbord PSU fan header so I can monitor the revs.

I've cut out the fan grills. Both on the back and on the front. Inspired by Swede (viewtopic.php?t=52300) I've cut some holes and routed all the cables on the back.

The harddrives are both suspended. One in the top and one vertically infront of the CPU heatsink.

What's not shown in the pictures is the duct I've made between the chassis fan and the CPU heatsink. I've also covered the original cable holes from the top compartment.

Temps at idle:
Mainboard: 36 C
CPU: 36 C
HD1: 32 C (the top one)
HD2: 31 C

I don't know the ambient temp.

The PSU fan is spinning at 600 RPM.

I'm going to block the top vent in the case and see if I can get a better airflow over the top harddrive, lowering the temp.

Unfourtunatly I don't have any temps at full load yet.

It's so quiet, I've got to put my head under the table to hear if it's running.

AMDforlife

Post by AMDforlife » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Looks decent from the (sarcasm) 2 whole pics you have shown us! (/sarcaasm)

:twisted:

Just kidding around, but I would definitely like to see more pics. Like how you wired the back, perhaps some more of the HDD suspension. Hey why not one of the case in its natural habitat?

I really do like the clean look though. Funky carpet btw.

ACook

Post by ACook » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:42 pm

why would you want to lower temp of the hd? <40C is cool for hd's.

gandolfo

Post by gandolfo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:27 pm

Looks cool and minimalistic :)

PeterWelzien

Post by PeterWelzien » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:03 pm

AMDforlife wrote: Just kidding around, but I would definitely like to see more pics. Like how you wired the back, perhaps some more of the HDD suspension. Hey why not one of the case in its natural habitat?
The wiring is almost identical to Swed's, so I never took a picture of it. I'll see if I can get some pictures of the HDD suspension though.
AMDforlife wrote: I really do like the clean look though. Funky carpet btw.
It's not a carpet, it's a table cloth. I used the kitchen table when mounting all the parts.
ACook wrote:why would you want to lower temp of the hd? <40C is cool for hd's.
Yes, but if I can't lower the temperature even more with minimal effort, I'm willing to try it. The lower the better. Right? Unless you're going sub-zero temperatures I guess...