HTPC based on Antec Solo & Mugen 2

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

acorn

HTPC based on Antec Solo & Mugen 2

Post by acorn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:13 pm

A Scythe Mugen 2 fits fine in an Antec Solo case...

Case: Antec Solo
PSU: SeaSonic S12II 330
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2
CPU: Athlon X2 5050e
Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 2, no fan
Case Fan: 120mm Scythe PWM fan from Mugen-2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 40GB IDE (from my old quiet system)
CD/DVD-ROM: Panasonic DVR-116 IDE

No picture yet as I'm a new poster.

I have used the fan supplied with the Mugen 2 as the case fan, and connected it to the motherboard PWM CPU fan header. There is no fan on the heatsink. There is no graphics card as the IGP works fine for my HTPC needs. I use the coaxial SPDIF connector to run audio to my receiver. Mass storage for media files is on a NAS in the basement.

When I ordered the Mugen 2 I was concerned that the original heatsink retainer on the motherboard would be difficult to remove, but it came off very easily.

The motherboard/BIOS fan controller seems to hold the CPU at 45C with a fan speed of about 400 RPM when watching movies.

I can't hear the system when I'm more than a few feet away from it.

-Scott
Last edited by acorn on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:48 am

HTPC made in Solo and cooled with Mugen2. Sounds intresting. I hope you get pictures soon ^^

salsa

Post by salsa » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:17 am

thejamppa wrote:HTPC made in Solo and cooled with Mugen2. Sounds intresting. I hope you get pictures soon ^^
Ditto I'd also love to see pictures of this setup. I really like the current range of Antec cases.

sonic6k

Post by sonic6k » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:23 am

My good friend I think now you have enough post count, make some salsa :P

acorn

Post by acorn » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Okay, this post makes 3.

I better go clean up my cabling and get some better pictures. Some of the systems pictured on this forum are so neatly wired it's frightening.

I should have pictures here in a day or two.

-Scott

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:56 am

salsa wrote:I really like the current range of Antec cases.
The Solo isn't really current generation. It's technically from 2005, being a revised version of the P150. Antec's current generation cases are questionable, and one can only wonder of their next generation. But I digress...
acorn wrote:I better go clean up my cabling and get some better pictures. Some of the systems pictured on this forum are so neatly wired it's frightening.
Don't get an inferiority complex over cable origami. Do what you can; you're not expected to be an master of wiring renown.
acorn wrote:I should have pictures here in a day or two.

-Scott
Looking forward to it. Don't get nervous now. Remember to set your alarm, make a diary entry, tell the neighbours etc. :lol:

sjsharky

Post by sjsharky » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:01 am

Shamgar wrote:
The Solo isn't really current generation. It's technically from 2005, being a revised version of the P150. Antec's current generation cases are questionable, and one can only wonder of their next generation. But I digress...

I know many dislike the design of the newer cases. But the p183 has been, at least performance-wise, a step in the right direction for Antec.

qviri

Post by qviri » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:05 am

Shamgar wrote:
The P150 is as current of an Antec case as it gets in its class.

acorn

Post by acorn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:08 am

Okay, the alarm went off, the neighbors called, and my diary reminded me what I had to do.

The picture taking was complicated by the reflections off of the heatsink...

I'm not showing exterior views as there's nothing to see that you can't see better on the Antec site or something similar.

-Scott

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:28 pm

Excellent !!!!
nothing to add...
(maybe a round IDE cable but really, that would be me being picky more than anything)

great job ! I wish my solo looked that clean !!!

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:57 pm

Clean and to the point, grats :)

Did you softmount your harddrive? doesnt really look like it is, I'd recommend you do that to take care of the last vibration noise from it.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:13 am

qviri wrote:
Shamgar wrote:
The P150 is as current of an Antec case as it gets in its class.
Okay. The Solo is a Sonata family case, whose most current member is the Sonata Elite, reviewed recently on this site. You can disagree whether it is same class from the point of view of us SPCR folk, but technically speaking and according to the marketing, the Sonata Elite is the most current Antec case in this class: ATX midtower damp'd panel case designed for quiet computing.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:36 am

acorn wrote:Okay, the alarm went off, the neighbors called, and my diary reminded me what I had to do.

(...)

-Scott
I'm glad you took my "advice". Great job on a pretty clean (HT)PC build, considering the lack of space in the Solo (I would know as I own one too). Pictures are fine. I was worried about the clearance for a Mugen 2 in this case, so glad to see that it is indeed useable. The way you have your cabling is similar to the way I had mine. (Before I disassembled my build of course, which is another story for another time.)

I don't think you need to change out the IDE ribbon cable for a round one, unless you have one spare to see which one you prefer. The ribbon ones have the advantage of being folded and taped down, however, they do look somewhat awkward nowadays. I have both types. But I have a SATA DVD-R drive now, so no more need for the ribbon cables there. Only for an IDE HDD and FDD, which I still insist on using.
Wibla wrote:Did you softmount your harddrive? doesnt really look like it is, I'd recommend you do that to take care of the last vibration noise from it.
I think he meant "suspend" as it is already "soft-mounted" using the silicone grommets on the HDD tray as it appears. Try the suspension if you haven't already. It will give you an idea of the difference in acoustics. If you are happy with the grommet mounting provided, that's good as well, and more secure, especially if you move your case around a lot, which I also tend to do.

Well done on a clean and to the point build. Don't underestimate your abilities!

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:56 pm

Or you can mount your HD under the tray. It's almost just like suspension when you think about it and still very secure.

chahahc

Post by chahahc » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:59 am

A setup that has less hd space than mine! :shock:

Never thought I'd see the day.

Clean build btw. :o

acorn

Post by acorn » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:57 am

In response to some of the comments...

Somewhere in my parts bin are some silicon rubber fan mounts, which I'll use to replace the screws on the case fan. I will likely experiment with elastic mounting the HDD after things settle down a bit with the system and the things it's connected to. I'm still arranging furniture, etc.

The HDD is small, but it only houses the OS and applications. All the media files are on a NAS in a different part of the house. It'd be nice to replace the HDD with an SSD, but it's pretty quiet as is, and I suspect it's one of those drives that will never break, even if you wish it would.

I have some round IDE cables, but they are only for a single drive. For now the airflow seems fine with the flat one.

-Scott

repel

Post by repel » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:53 pm

acorn wrote:Okay, the alarm went off, the neighbors called, and my diary reminded me what I had to do.

The picture taking was complicated by the reflections off of the heatsink...

I'm not showing exterior views as there's nothing to see that you can't see better on the Antec site or something similar.

-Scott

hello, which is a distance from mugen2 to side door of antec solo?
2,3,4 cm ?

thanks

repel

Post by repel » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:49 am

answer ?

thanks

acorn

Post by acorn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 am

I measured, which is difficult to do exactly since one has to estimate where the side panel will be, and it is about 15mm from the top of the heat pipes to the side panel, and about 28mm from the top of the fins to the side panel.

When I say the top of the heat pipes I am referring to the decorative nuts that protrude beyond the fins.

I hope this helps.

-Scott

repel

Post by repel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:18 am

acorn wrote:I measured, which is difficult to do exactly since one has to estimate where the side panel will be, and it is about 15mm from the top of the heat pipes to the side panel, and about 28mm from the top of the fins to the side panel.

When I say the top of the heat pipes I am referring to the decorative nuts that protrude beyond the fins.

I hope this helps.

-Scott

thanks a lot