Mini-ITX HTPC - HDD suspension & modded HSF in an M350

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

akwok

Mini-ITX HTPC - HDD suspension & modded HSF in an M350

Post by akwok » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:50 pm

I recently decided to replace my (gigantic) full-ATX HTPC with a mini-ITX build. After a lot of going back and forth between an Atom Ion-based system and an LGA775 based system, I went with the latter. I also wanted to make it as small as possible (if you're going for ITX, go for broke!), so I went with the Pico-PSU & M350 combo.

I was originally planning on using an Intel E3200, as it's a full 10W less power consumption under full load over the E5200, but unfortunately it was out of stock at every single store here! Here was the build I eventually went with:

Intel E5200
2GB DDR2-800
160GB Seagate 2.5" HDD, ripped from my Thinkpad
Zotac 9300-ITX
Pico-PSU 150W w/ 105W brick
Minibox M350

I installed all of the parts into the M350, with the stock HSF and with the HDD screwed into the drive rack. Unfortunately, I think I got a bad HSF sample, as the fan was rubbing into the heatsink and making a ton of noise even at extremely low RPMs. I cut the fan off completely from the heatsink and ghetto-modded a Zalman 80mmx15mm fan onto it at 5V... unfortunately it's still audible, but I can't find any other alternatives for a 15mm thick fan (even 15mm /barely/ fits).

So, after this, I plugged everything in, and found that the HDD was extremely noisy on seeks. I then proceeded to try to suspend the HDD.. however this was pretty difficult as the chipset heatsink, with the stock mounting, was around 5mm below the HDD. I decided to forgo the stock mounting bracket altogether and suspend the HDD directly onto the case cover. I use a gluegun to join the elastic together, and used long screws so that the HDD would rest on the elastic loops.

Pictures:

Before:

HDD suspended onto case cover:

Reassembled:

The suspension helped, but seeks are still clearly audible. As a whole, the system isn't very quiet... the only way to make it inaudible is to use an SSD and a quieter fan, but unfortunately I do not have enough funds at the moment for an SSD, and I can't find a quiet 15mm fan as previously stated.

Oh yeah, the HDD is really, really hot since the GPU sits directly underneath it (around a 5mm clearance). This is a problem... and I really want an SSD if not for this reason alone.

So there goes my first foray into the world of mini-ITX!

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:44 pm

this may be my bad logic, but if a SSD was in that kind of situation, it wouldnt be much better that a normal HDD...the heat could adversely affect the flash based memory in a bad way...i think?

akwok

Post by akwok » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:55 pm

bonestonne wrote:this may be my bad logic, but if a SSD was in that kind of situation, it wouldnt be much better that a normal HDD...the heat could adversely affect the flash based memory in a bad way...i think?
The heat tolerance of SSDs is much higher than that of HDDs. Couple that with the fact that SSDs really don't generate any heat at all, and you've got a much better alternative :P

nyu3

Post by nyu3 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:21 pm

Remove those tacky stickers, noob :twisted: :twisted:

Try some ERS paper inside. It should improve your acoustics.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:47 am

Maybe you can access the HDD firmware and quiet the drive. I have had some Seagates in the past were this could be done, but I have forgetten the details.

I like your idea though. I may try that myself, as my current build is in an audio case with a perforated cover. I have two drives to contend with though.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:08 am

As open as that case is, a lot of noise is going to leak out. Mounting it out of the way (behind a monitor, under your desk, something like that) might be worth looking into.

edit: Also, how do you have the fan set up? Perhaps it would keep the HDD and chipset cooler if you set the fan to suck air up through the CPU heatsink and out the case, then block off the perforated holes of the case in a way that forces air to be pulled in from the other side and across the HDD/chipset.

I've included a pic that might better explain it. You could experiment with it a bit as well, for example block off part of the left side intakes to duct air more over the HDD/chipset as opposed to letting it come in and flow over the front and back of the motherboard (to relate it to the picture, that means air would only be able to enter through the middle arrow/middle part of the side intake).

akwok

Post by akwok » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:18 pm

frostedflakes wrote:As open as that case is, a lot of noise is going to leak out. Mounting it out of the way (behind a monitor, under your desk, something like that) might be worth looking into.

edit: Also, how do you have the fan set up? Perhaps it would keep the HDD and chipset cooler if you set the fan to suck air up through the CPU heatsink and out the case, then block off the perforated holes of the case in a way that forces air to be pulled in from the other side and across the HDD/chipset.

I've included a pic that might better explain it. You could experiment with it a bit as well, for example block off part of the left side intakes to duct air more over the HDD/chipset as opposed to letting it come in and flow over the front and back of the motherboard (to relate it to the picture, that means air would only be able to enter through the middle arrow/middle part of the side intake).

Good call. I'll try doing that when I get an SSD to replace this loud monstrocity.

vandal138

Post by vandal138 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:53 pm

thats a nice build you got going there.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:49 pm

That`s a speedy system smaller than many nettops :)

The position of the hdd is a bit of a challenge indeed. I agree that an ssd would help. A more radical solution would be to place the ssd outside the case on the underside. This would isolate it from the heat produced by the chipset and free those vent slots above it as well.

If you have enough space for a 10cm wide fan then there are some good news. There is an excellent slim fan, the skythe kaze juy. The 2000rpm model controlled by the motherboard should be a good match.

So those two mods combined should make your system inaudible @ 3 meters.

ajira99

Post by ajira99 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:51 am

This is pretty much the build that I chose for my bedroom HTPC. I'm using an E5300 and a 320GB WD Scorpio Blue HDD. My GPU and CPU temps are pretty low according to Real Temp, but I have an annoying problem with the HDD either parking the heads (loud click) or seeking maybe. Plus, the computer will often shutdown when this happens. I need to double-check the current draw since I'm using a 90 picoPSU w/80W adapter.

Does anybody know how to access the power management in the HDD (WD3200BEVT)?

SteveRCE

Post by SteveRCE » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:51 pm

nyu3 wrote:Remove those tacky stickers, noob :twisted: :twisted:

Try some ERS paper inside. It should improve your acoustics.
Isn't ERS paper theoretically for electronic signal RF/EMI interference? You are referring to it for use in spatial dampening. Think foam versus faraday cage.

Back on topic:
Nice build! Depending which OS you are using, an SSD might not be for you. However, it is worth the upgrade. I recently put a 30gb SSD in my notebook and have been loving it ever since! Next is the desktop (when cost per gigabyte drops.)