josephclemente's Lian Li PC-A05NB + Blow hole-cooled HD5850

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Parappaman

Re: josephclemente's Lian Li PC-A05NB + Blow hole-cooled HD5

Post by Parappaman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Checking back at the last picture, I finally noticed the aluminum cap you made for the fan. That's so sweet! :mrgreen:

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:47 pm

delete
Last edited by josephclemente on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:06 pm

I upgraded this system to Sandy Bridge.

To my surprise, power consumption is very similar to the original setup. Idle has improved - it is now about 10W lower.

Before:
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S
RAM: A-DATA 8GB DDR2-800

After:
Motherboard: Intel DP67BG
CPU: Intel Core I7-2600K
RAM: G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600

The HD5850 video card is now one slot lower than before. I added two gutted 120mm fan frames to the top blowholes to use as shrouds. Also, I had to swap the position of the optical drive and the Antec Easy SATA. The optical drive is now on top.

I used Prolimatech's socket adapter kit IAK-01 for the Prolimatech Megahalems. The new motherboard had some surface mount components which got in the way of this adapter. I had to cut a small part of the adapter to fit, using a jeweler's saw.

While I was at it, I also cut out a square in the aluminum behind the motherboard, using my nibbler. Now I can remove the heatsink without removing the motherboard.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:42 am

Great to see you are still cranking out systems that are so visually pleasing (as well as quiet).

Will you be posting pictures of the new setup? I'm interested to see your adaptations to the setup of the top fans.

Plus, your stuff's just fun to look at and inspires the rest of us to try to match it.

MikeK
Patron of SPCR

Post by MikeK » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:01 am

I'm also wondering what you mean by the top fan frame change. I kind of like having the lack of fan grills on top. Sure things might fall in but it looks pretty badass for sure. Maybe use those standard wire grills (since they have best airflow) and spray paint them gloss black :)

Definitely nice that you can use the heatsinkfan still.
While I was at it, I also cut out a square in the aluminum behind the motherboard, using my nibbler. Now I can remove the heatsink without removing the motherboard.
This is a godsend I imagine. I just put together my new system and would have had a hell of a time with the Scythe Mugen 2 if I couldn't have had the mobo already mounted in the case.

fun stuff!

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:43 pm

MikeK wrote:I'm also wondering what you mean by the top fan frame change.
Since the video card is now one additonal slot away from the top of the case, I have gutted fan frames (one on each fan) for use as a perfectly sized duct between each fan and the video card. Video card cooling works just as well as before.

I have three 900 RPM Scythe Kama Flow 2 fans arriving tomorrow to replace the current fans. I'll probably take new pictures during the weekend. :D

ame

Post by ame » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:01 pm

josephclemente wrote:My DP67BG boot times are faster. Power button to "Starting Windows" screen is 19 seconds. With Hyperboot enabled, I get 14 seconds.

Also, I am not getting any cold boot "second restart" issue.

EDIT: I have updated my BIOS for the motherboard and upgraded the firmware on my Intel SSD. Hyperboot is now giving me a speed of only 8 seconds. 8)
josephclemente,

Very nice buid.

What BIOS version are you using? I'm getting EDIT: ~28 seconds from power on to Windows password, it seems very fast to me. I did have some no posts after restarts, but I added 40mv in the BIOS and it never happend again. I have voltage overide set to none.

Are you OCing and how? I cant seem to be able to change the non turbo multi (like I think is optional in GIGA and Asus). Any way around this? Im OC with both Tubo and EIST=on.

I'd love to see some new pics with the updated build :)
Last edited by ame on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ces

Post by ces » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:35 pm

josephclemente wrote:
Before:
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S
RAM: A-DATA 8GB DDR2-800

After:
Motherboard: Intel DP67BG
CPU: Intel Core I7-2600K
RAM: G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600
How would you compare performance? I have an old q9550 chip and a compatible Zotac ITX board I purchased at a good price a while back. But have been thinking about skipping over that and going with a Core I7-2600K (a third option being to hold my breath for 12 months for an Ivy Bridge).

In your opinion:
1. Why would I choose a new I7-2600K or my q9550 chip?
1. Why might I just keep the q9550 chip instead of going with a new I7-2600K?

Unlike many other people here, I don't like to move from platform to platform too frequently. The fewer jumps I make the better.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:30 pm

This system worked out great for meeting my silence goals. But I am going to disassemble this system.

A replacement motherboard is still unavailable after the Sandy Bridge recall, so I am returning the current motherboard for a full refund.

I am going to use this opportunity to switch to a much smaller ITX setup. The new case is going to be a Lian Li PC-Q11B. I'll start out with onboard graphics and see what I can fit in there later on.

I'll probably just keep the PC-A05NB case stored away in case my needs change in the future. :D

aztec

Post by aztec » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:34 am

@joseph

what are those screws you used for the fans on the top panel? and where did you get them?

great build!

thanks!

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:42 pm

They are Lian Li plastic fan rivets. I had them leftover from a much older Lian Li case I used to have.

aztec

Post by aztec » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:37 am

thanks for that!