Define 7 Gaming Build

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Japanese Capacitor

Define 7 Gaming Build

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:04 am

Heres my computer. Silent as off during tasks like webbrowsing and quiet enough to satisfy me during gaming load. I don't play with headphones, but I can hear it only if the game plays barely any sounds. Here's how it sounds during worse possible scenairo - most GPU intensive game I played (99% usage all the time, temps don't go down even in pause menu) plus hot summer weather. When I recorded this clip, ambient temperature was around 30C degrees. All needed info in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywct85u ... awKowalski or type in Youtube ,,Define 7 Gaming Load"

Full specs:

9700K Stock + Scythe Ninja 5 + Grizzly Kryonaut
ASRock Z390 Extreme 4
HyperX Predator 3200 MHz, CL16, 2x16 GB
2070 Super Gigabyte Gaming OC GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GC Stock (loudest component during load)
Adata XPG SX8200 PRO
XFX TS 650W
Define 7 Black Solid (default fans swapped to 3x Silent Wings 3 140 mm 1000 rpm)

GPU and case fans custom curves, cooler is audible only during stress tests, so I don't need to mess with motherboard's invention:

I like my computer working quietly and I don't like fans changing speed. That's why I divided curves into consistent parts. On the left you see case fans, on the right GPU. My CPU rather not go below 50C during gaming, so case fans are connected to it and go 1000 rpm after crossing this temperature. My GPU rather not go below 45C during gaming, so the same way. From 80C it goes 100% in case of warning me, that I should modify the curve. Never happened, but if so, I will know. The downside of my way is that sometimes a lot of browser tabs or youtube warms my CPU enough to cross 50C, but it's just amazing, how Define 7 handles fan noise. Even in the quiet room most of the time I don't notice the speed change. Computer sits on the floor like 60 centimeters from my ears and I have to have completely closed windows to notice it. I had SW3 before in previous case (also with sound dampening panels) and running 1000 rpm they were intorelable even during gaming, so the difference is just hard to believe (I wouldn't believe it can be such big ;) ) If we talk about GPU, I don't use semi passive mode, because this card turns on the fans really loudly for 1-2 secounds and then they start working according to curve. In Define 7 I can't notice the difference between GPU fans off and running its minimum 1000 rpm, so no problem.

What I like the most about this build is the case. It's because I had this config in different case, which wasn't bad (SIlentium PC Armis AR7 + Apaflex 0,5 cm sound dampening material). Define 7 does the work so great - cools well, make things quiet, protects from dust the best I have ever experienced. These are the most important things, which make the case good or bad - rest you have in reviews, but I can say, that it's definitely worth the rather premium money.

Japanese Capacitor

Re: Define 7 Gaming Build

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:15 pm

Forum came back from the dead, so let's celebrate it with photos of my updated build I use for few months - maybe it will be the last build this old forum, forgotten, but great piece of history of quiet computing will ever see...

13900K ; Scythe Ninja 5 ; Z790 ASRock Steel Legend Wifi + Sound BlasterX G6 ; 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade DDR5 6400MHz CL32 ; RTX 4090 ASUS TUF OC ; Kingston KC3000 2TB ; Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB ; Asus DRW-24D5MT ; Corsair RMx Shift 1200W ; Fractal Define 7 Black Solid ( fan swap -> 3x Scythe Kaze Flex Square 140 PWM 1200 rpm )

Btw this build, generally high-end components seem to don't like more and more quiet computing idea and do it in terrible way. Let's take as example 13900K: it can consume 200W or be at best, because only in heavily multicore workloads 10% faster for the price of consuming 300W. Bad thing is, it comes from the factory like Intel thinks you prefer this additional 10% for 50% more power consumption. It seems to me that most people seeing this numbers would think opposite. Even better example is 4090. It can consume 280W or be not more than 10% faster for 170 Watts more (60%). Yes, it also comes from the factory like Nvidia thinks you find it worth it. This sign of times is competition where Watts stopped being about power efficiency, but completely went crazy and serve only drawing longer test graphs. Bad thing is, everybody not liking it needs to deal with it alone and not everybody knows how or even know it's possible, so many will suffer due to damn 10% :]

From last post I also figured out ultimate case fan control way :D I always felt bad for modern cases not including fan controllers, so sentencing us to use never ideal fan curves or sometimes over-complicated fan software. My way is to set them in bios to always run (0-100C) inaudible speed. Before load I use my motherboard's software to switch them to constant great speed (performant, but still nicely quiet). Thanks to using case's fan hub, so running all case fans on one signal/mobo's connector, it's that much effort as moving one dot up or down and clicking Apply - so less effort than moving your hand to case's fan controller.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:41 pm

Wow, nice rig :)

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Mon May 01, 2023 2:18 am

I have no complains and can recommend every other component :]