is there a more silenceproofing case than antec p183(2007)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

anaturelover

is there a more silenceproofing case than antec p183(2007)

Post by anaturelover » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:42 pm

hi
i have a p183 bought in 2007 2008 when usb3 was not popular.

i ask myself if i keep this case cause it is so great or if other case have been made after that are better? i dont build a new pc now but might in 8 month but it takes space in my home..

i know a cons of keeping it is that it has no usb3 . ARe there other cons ?

how can i go around this usb3 lack ?

ps i have the psu with it too.

Japanese Capacitor

Re: is there a more silenceproofing case than antec p183(2007)

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:50 am

For sure there are better sound-proofing cases. Case market, especially silence-focused moved forward and use different, better solutions to keep things quiet. Let's start with example, duel of P183 with first Fractal Desing Define case as representative of new wave:

https://pclab.pl/art40680-9.html

It's polish, but you don't have a choice, so need to use translator or believe me :> They tested P183 and R2 with default set of fans, but also populating every fan slot with the same Noctua's fans. It can seem not fair, that R2 got more Noctuas, but it will lead us to answer to your question.

It can be hard to translate, what's on the picture, so I will do it for you:

What you need to look at in terms of your question are two measurements: ,,Antec P183 NF-P12 700 obr/min", what means ,,Antec P183 with NF-P12 fans running 700 rpm" and ,,Define R2 NF-P12 700 obr/min, boczny otwór zasłonięty", which means ,,Define R2 with NF-P12 fans running 700 rpm, side panel hole closed". What's the most important, both records differ with amount of Noctua's fans. Antec has them four, R2 six. More sources of the same noise increases overall noise. Comparing noise and temperatures measurements leads us to conclusions - R2 can handle more noise still being a little quieter, but it also then outperforms Antec in terms of temperatures, so give you bigger headroom to make computer even quieter by dicreasing the speed of components fans. This aspect wasn't included in test's procedure, because they used on CPU and GPU coolers additional NF-P12 fans running constant 700 rpm, so both cases were dealing with the same noise of components.

This duel is example of how things changed with the time. P183 - if I remember well - represents times, when Antec was sound-proofing its cases by placing layer of plastic between two layers of metal. Fractal experimented with three types of foam and established standard of construction and one particular sound-deadening material, which Antec and other brands followed, so it's rather superior.

Still thinking about USB problems or just want to buy new, better case? It will be better in any way, not only sound-proofing, but also ease of maintenance and build, possibly dust filtration or more modern, maybe richer amount of USB ports. If secound option, only the matter what you need the place for. I mean mostly some HDD collection, EATX board or 5,25 devices. All lead us to bigger cases, so don't count to get something much smaller than P183. If your needs are small enough, we can go with something more compact. Advantage of bigger cases is more place for big CPU and GPU coolers - the quietest ones. The size of them tends to increase, so I wouldn't go with compact cases, if you want to use new one for years and few upgrades.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:11 am

P183 is still a good case today, its a little harder to work with than todays offering like the Define R7, but as long as you are fine with what the P183 offers there is no reason to upgrade, probably the fans overtime will wear down and a replacement might be worth it.

As for the USB3, if you are skilled with tools / moding, you could buy a internal cables like
MMNNE Dual USB 3.0 A Female Screw Mount Type to Motherboard 20pin Header Adpter Cable 50cm
Cablecc USB 3.1 Front Panel Header to USB-C Type-C Female Extension Cable 40cm with Panel Mount Screw

anaturelover

Post by anaturelover » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:08 pm

hi
thanks for your answers,
i imagine the 2 cables are connecting to places that we usually find in modern mobo right . cause it didnt follow evolution
in other words those 2 optoins can fit most recent mobo ?
cand they with 450

MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BHBhP6 ... g-plus-max

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:34 am

From what Abula posted, you could plug 3.0 blue cable to B450 Gaming Plus, but not black USB-C one, because board doesn't have such connector. Hard to say, if you would be able to connect such cables to front panel of your case. Chosen board has generally poor amount of USB connectors, so maybe you would find better going with better equipped board - for example mine just mid-range Z390 board on only external panel has one Type A, one Type C and four 3.2 Gen 1.

Btw if I were you, I would instead playing with some cables leave this ancient case in the past and bought something better and modern. I don't sell you anything and I don't care, where you keep your components - just you would do yourself a favour ;)