Silent PC build with HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 and Intel Core I9

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mqhout

Silent PC build with HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 and Intel Core I9

Post by mqhout » Mon May 25, 2020 2:06 am

Hi,
I want to show you my silent PC build with the following components:
  • HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 fanless case with the 400W AC-DC+400W HiFi DC-ATX Combo power supply
  • HDPLEX Passive Video Card Heatsink System
  • HDPLEX Silicon PCIEx16 3.0 Riser
  • Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard
  • Intel Core I9-9900 processor 3.1 GHz
  • G.Skill Ripjaws V - 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz (2 modules of 16 GB)
  • 2 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1000 GB (M2 SSD storage)
  • Asus Nvidia GeForce - ROG-STRIX-GTX1650-4G-GAMING video card
  • ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q 4K monitor
First of all, the HDPLEX H5 is a very well manufactured product. It comes in thorough packaging and you get a comprehensive installation guide.
The build does take time, but it is not difficult.
And Larry from HDPLEX is very helpfull and quick with email response if you have any questions.

Both sides of the case are a big and heavy heatsink and they each have a maximum Thermal Design Point (TDP) of 95W, but around 65-75W is recommended. Therefore I chose the I9-9900 with a TDP of 65W, which is not the fastest I9 processor. And I also chose a mid-range NVidia Geforce card with a TDP of 75W.
Still I think I have a fully silent system that has above average performance.
I will use it for software development, deep learning algorithms, music production, video editing and some moderate gaming.

The motherboard is very nice, with a huge amount of connectors.
The M2 connector for the SSD storage is super easy. They do not take any space in the case and do not need any extra power connections.

At first, I did buy a graphics card that did not fit with the heatsink copper base. This plate supports 48mm, 51mm, 53.3mm, 58.4mm or 61mm mounting patterns (distance between the screws). The card I got had a distance of 43mm between the screws.
So a bit more research is needed to find a card that does fit. Before buying another card, I searched for a picture of the backside of the card, where the screws of the heatsink are visible. In this picture I measured the number of pixels for the width of the PCI-E connector on the card, which is about 70mm. Then I measured the pixels for the distance between the screws and could calculate that it was about 51mm. And indeed, when the card arrived, the heatsink did fit nicely.

First, the powersupply, motherboard, memory, CPU and CPU heatsink copper base are mounted.
The 2 SSD drives are already mounted under the heatsinks between the PCI-E slots.

Then the heatpipes for the CPU are installed.

Then the copper base plate is mounted on the graphics card.

And the graphics card is mounted in the case, using the flexible PCI-E riser.

Then the heatpipes for the graphics card are installed.

And all is complete.

I am very happy with my new fully silent PC. Much better and hugely faster than the noisy I7 laptop I was using.

One more tip for using a 4K display: Aquasnap software is great for managing windows.

CA_Steve

Re: Silent PC build with HDPLEX 2nd Gen H5 and Intel Core I9

Post by CA_Steve » Mon May 25, 2020 4:41 am

Very nice. What temps are you seeing?

mqhout

Post by mqhout » Tue May 26, 2020 12:47 am

(all in celcius)
CPU cores average around 45, often goes to 53-55 and sometimes a peak to 63.
Motherboard on various locations between 33 and 53.
GPU core around 38-40.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 26, 2020 6:18 am

Awesome.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue May 26, 2020 8:01 am

mqhout wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:47 am
(all in celcius)
GPU core around 38-40.
Pretty impressive, now you are making want to build like you.

arjepsen

Post by arjepsen » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:47 am

mqhout wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:47 am
(all in celcius)
GPU core around 38-40.
How are the temperatures under full load for an hour?

samlarson

Post by samlarson » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:48 pm

(all in celcius)
GPU core around 38-40.
Seems like a pretty good build but I have a couple of questions
1. This computer is for work or for gaming
2. Does it overheats when you are trying to play something in 4k resolution
3. Ho much does it cost you
4. Did you order parts from Amazon or somewhere else
5. The only noise in the system comes from the graphics card fan?

dlaloum

Post by dlaloum » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:11 pm

Hi,

I recently completed a similar build...

In my case, I opted for an AMD 4750G Pro APU (Vega8 onboard, 8 Core 16 thread)

Motherboard is Gigabyte Aorus Pro-P Mini ITX (B550 chipset)

With the APU, I opted for no GPU for the time being (future plans would involve a 90W GPU from the next generation...)

The APU is specified as a 65W device, however under load testing it tends to max out around the 84W area... - this should still be well within the H5 specs (it is specified for 95W)

Actual results showed that under load, the fully built setup would quickly raise the CPU sensor temp to 95 C, before performance constraining both CPU and GPU to keep temperature from rising further.

So it appears that the 95W dissipation of the side heatsink of the case is more nominal than actual....

The PC is intended for use as a HTPC and a Lounge Room Gaming PC. - Video streaming puts the system under totally negligible load

In actual use, and most of my games are not heavily 3D, being more strategy than FPS oriented, but actual load never goes anywhere near the limits that were found with AIDA64 or 3DMark, the case runs totally silent, and becomes only warm to the touch.

I had a couple of conversations with HDPlex about ways of dissipating additional heat, and enabling the system to dissipate the maximum that this APU can put out, apparently over the next few months, a new set of Heatpipes will become available, which will allow connection of the APU (/ CPU) to both sides of the H5 case.... obviously not usable if you have a GPU in place, but given the excellent performance of the onboard GPU on the APU, and it's overclockability (with only marginal increase in power consumption / heat) - taking the real heat dissipation from circa 65W to 140W+ by using both sides of the case, will allow an additional margin of performance and cooling.

Other things of note: - I am overclocking the RAM to 4000MHz which boosts the AMD fabric - improving both GPU and CPU performance, The RAM is rated at that speed (RipJaws DDR4 4000MHz CL18).

With regards to future reconfiguration of the setup, once HDPlex release the two sided heat pipe kit, I will need to decide between staying with the APU alone, and using the kit, or waiting for an appropriate GPU rated around 65W.... which would need to provide me with a substantial boost on the performance of the APU to make it worthwhile.

P.S. thank you for your posting on your efforts with the H5, it helped in my decision to go down this path

dlaloum

Post by dlaloum » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:07 pm

Quick additional note:

The "double sided" Heat pipes for the H5 case (ie: cooling the CPU from the heatsinks on both left and right of case rather than just from the right side which is the standard setup) - have apparently been tried by HDPlex, and results have been "disappointing" - so chances are this will not be brought to market.

I am still hoping to get a set and try out this strategy.... It may not be able to dissipate double the single sided capacity, but if it increases dissipation by 30% or 40% It will allow the CPU/APU to run to its max potential....

I will post results if and when I can get this off the ground.