sonata: cpu fan won't spin

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Micah

sonata: cpu fan won't spin

Post by Micah » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:37 pm

I recently switched to an Antec Sonata case since my old setup was quite loud. Unfortunately, the Sonata has not solved my problems.

My CPU fan is an 80mm Thermaltake Volcano that has a 3-pin motherboard connector. In order to utilize the special "fan only" outs on the TruePower power supply, I bought a 3-pin to molex adapter. However, the fan won't spin if I connect it to the "fan only" out. It twitches at startup, but doesn't start. If I give it a spin by hand, then it will keep spinning, although pretty slowly.

If I just let my computer run, it quickly (5-minutes) overheats and shuts down.

Anybody else have this problem? Anyone know of a solution?

-- Micah

P.S. Sorry if this is a repost. This place has so many posts on the Sonata that it was simply impossible to scan them all.

Dr.CrackEnHore

Post by Dr.CrackEnHore » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:54 pm

It is very simple problem. Your fan won't start at a low voltage. The fan only connector is set up to vary volatge with a temperature monitor. At startup the plug would probably give about 4-5V which is not enough to start that fan. Try a different fan, connect the one you have to the motherboard.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:54 pm

sounds like the voltage the fan only connector is providing is too low to start the fan. Either use a different fan or a better solution would be to attach a fan mate to your existing fan and reduce the speed that way. Far more safe imo and you still retain rpm monitoring.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:09 pm

Here is an excerpt from the instructions of the Sonata manual. Please note that a case fan is usually not considered to be the same as a CPU fan (although Antec could have done a better job of explaining the difference to a novice computer builder):

IMPORTANT MESSAGE - PLEASE READ BEFORE USING:

The Sonata is engineered to maximize your computing experience while minimizing the noise in your environment. To minimize system noise in the majority of computing configurations, Antec suggests that you connect your case fans using the "Fan Only" connectors. However, if you plan to use your computer system in high performance, heat generating configurations (such as overclocking, intense gaming, etc.) Antec strongly recommends that you connect your system fans to the standard connectors, NOT to the fan only connectors, as this will maximize your system's cooling capability and prevent overheating.

Micah

Post by Micah » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:29 pm

Thanks for the swift replies.

I've partially solved the problem using speedfan. Wow! What a great little app! I can dynamically adjust the fan speeds until they give the right balance of noise / airflow. BTW: is there a way to get speedfan to run automatically at startup?

I guess I'll just leave the rear 120mm on the fan only out from the PS and just keep using speedfan + my regular mobo connections for the fan. If only I had known about this sooner, I wouldn't have bought the 3-pin to molex adaptors. I might not have bought the Sonata, for that matter.

Again, thanks for the replies. Also, I only found speedfan by browsing these forums, so keep posting so dudes like me can benefit.

-- Micah

bomba

Post by bomba » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:34 pm

For Windows XP:
Sure, create a 2nd copy of the Speedfan.exe shortcut on your desktop. Click on START, select explore. The Start Menu folder sould be highlighted. Expand the programs folder and open the startup folder. Contents of this folder will run on windows boot. Drag the speedfan sortcut from your desktop into this folder.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:52 am

Micah - WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

Note the different responses to your question here at SPCR compared to the same question you posted over at Anandtech?

Over at AT everyone was sort of semi-clueless, here at SPCR you got exactly the correct answer from every poster, almost immediately. There's a lot of very knowledgable folks here, and tons of good info in the forums and over at the main site.

I hope you enjoy it here!