For those wanting a G5 looking case...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Shadowknight

For those wanting a G5 looking case...

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:48 am

Well, I've periodically seen people post requests for PC cases that look similar to Apple's. Apparently, Lian-li decided to be the one to rip off the design. Pictures here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=e ... did=732325

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:01 pm

Whoa, did I just see that correctly? Did they put the power supply location at the BOTTOM of the case?

I wonder how that'll work for cooling (or is that BTX design?)

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:14 pm

Boy, that case looks like it would be a DREAM for people like MikeC who believe in having a separate PSU cooling channel. :lol: Methinks it would also be perfect for those with low-airflow PSUs like SilenX.

joecuba

Post by joecuba » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:35 pm

On first look, the case is good. However, on closer examination, there are some problems:

1. Mac rip off looks cheap
2. Case is way too big for most people (7 external bays, 10 internal HDD bays!)
3. Those wheels are kinda lame
4. Weird reverse layout puts processor at bottom of board, pci slots at top. Its going to get hot up there (and no fan)

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:52 pm

Um, joe... you do know that there are multiple cases shown there, right? The first two pictures represent the interesting case for most people.

The rest of the pictures interest people like me, who still have really long term dreams of a huge file server.

joecuba

Post by joecuba » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:42 pm

Ah right, the 1st 2 pics are a smaller case, 5 external, 6 internal bays.

The design just looks like some kinda weird mix of G5, ATX, BTX, and a double decker bus...

:wink:

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:14 pm

Looks very nice from the outside, and if I'm not mistaken on the inside those look like 120mm fans - a fist for Lian-Li me thinks :) Lets just hope the airflow isn't resitricted by the exhaust vent.

Do like the look of the separate cooling for PSU and HDs, mmm, but the HD mounting look side onto the intake fan... I don't care it looks cool

aston

Post by aston » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:47 pm

I'm with Joe on this one... I don't like how it's such a blatant ripoff of the G5. I might like it if the G5 never existed, but ripoffs inherently look cheap to me.

I do like the air channels, though.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:34 pm

The separate air paths look like they would work for very hot running systems with many hard drives.

It just looks louder for a person like me. I have one hard drive (I don't like having multiple hard drives, except for an external backup-only drive). My PSU is perfectly happy exhausting case air from my hard drive, Zalman heatpiped videocard and cold-running ducted 2.53GHz P4 CPU. Exhausting PSU air feels WAY cooler than what I've felt from most computers.

I wouldn't dare give a system like mine more channels requiring their own fans. It would simply be louder, especially with all that mesh.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:33 am

Very interesting cases were it not for the lack of upper/rear fan and PSU place being at the bottom.

Those two things combined are probably going to kill the natural airflow in that case. One probably has to mod the case (top exhaust hole).

Try putting those 7 opticals and 10 HDs in a case like that and expect all of them to function with that one tiny fan in the wrong place?

I don't know who Lian-Li was thinking as their audience, but imho the design, while interesting, falls short of the server crowd requirements as well as the silent crowd requirements.

I think we whould really design our own case. Putting all the collective wisdom of the SPCR to work and design a case that blows all cases out of the water, in terms of silent cooling.

regards,
halcy

PS The wheels are probably removable, they usually are.

ashtray_head

Post by ashtray_head » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:37 am

Hmmmm... a mixed response..

I like them...a lot :) But I've only just bought my 6070 :evil:

Bah! nevermind

aston

Post by aston » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:48 pm

halcyon wrote:I think we whould really design our own case. Putting all the collective wisdom of the SPCR to work and design a case that blows all cases out of the water, in terms of silent cooling.
I like that idea! We just need to find someone to mass-produce them for us. Any takers? :)

Also, it has to come in different colours, and there must be a wide variety of fronts to choose from. As much as I love a good silent PC, it's gotta be pretty. :lol: