Anyone tried DynoMat on a pc? (intended to silence cars)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

NetTechie

Anyone tried DynoMat on a pc? (intended to silence cars)

Post by NetTechie » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:45 am

I've heard a lot of good stuff about DynoMat for using in a car, it absorbs and silences vibration real well. Has anyone tried using it in a pc case?

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attr ... e=googleel

it's kinda expensive, but maybe worth it?

pfft

Post by pfft » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:44 pm

I've used it. It's sold at some computer shops such as directron.

It is fairly useless to absorb sound but does an ok job at damping vibrations. The case I used it in was a rattletrap and it helped greatly. I think it's good to have around as bits of it here and there can help. Examples are a thin strip around the circumference of a fan, a spot on the tab that supports a power supply in the case,and cut as a gasket between a fan and the case.

I have the basic type without any metallic covering. The stuff has a bad smell, so I covered it with wide aluminum tape on broad exposed areas. A hard roller helps apply it. I used a veneer roller, but any hard cylindrical object you have handy should do.

If you're going whole hog and need absorption of sound as well, then there are better things to use. I believe that the "reviews" section of this site mentions some.

lucienrau

Post by lucienrau » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:16 pm

Roofer's tape (bitumen tape) is pretty much the same thing. pfft is pretty much right. I used it to dampen an aluminum case, but I don't think it'd do a whole lot to a steel one (easier to attack the vibaraions at the source).

ianken_ms

Re: Anyone tried DynoMat on a pc? (intended to silence cars)

Post by ianken_ms » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:11 pm

NetTechie wrote:I've heard a lot of good stuff about DynoMat for using in a car, it absorbs and silences vibration real well. Has anyone tried using it in a pc case?

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attr ... e=googleel

it's kinda expensive, but maybe worth it?
It is not worth it. The kind of noise it is intended to dampen does not happen in a PC unless somthing is horribly wrong! :-) You're better off going with something like "magic fleece" or "AcoustiPak" from folks like silicon acoustics and others. I've used Dynamat in cars, and tried it once it a PC. Not worth it in the PC. The fluffier dampening material I've found works pretty well, but it's not going to perform miracles, it's just one tool in the box.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:42 pm

I've had success with Dynamat eXtreme in my aluminum cases. It definitely does work.

I haven't noticed a difference when applying it to a louder system, but I do appreciate the stuff when applied to a system which already has very quiet components, suspension, etc.

For this reason, I'd recommend the stuff if you have an aluminum case and have already done a good job making it quiet.

Warning: years ago I tried Dynamat Original - that stuff smelled terrible and never went away. I had to throw out the entire case!! The smell remained in the house - I couldn't wait to move out (and did). The memory of this choking scent chills me to this day. I'm not sure if their current form of the Original stuff is the same, but I'll stick with the eXtreme series.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Anyone tried DynoMat on a pc? (intended to silence cars)

Post by aphonos » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:56 pm

ianken_ms wrote:It is not worth it. The kind of noise it is intended to dampen does not happen in a PC unless somthing is horribly wrong! :-)
Dynamat is a vibration dampener and it (or similar materials) can make a little difference if you are going for that last step for quieting. It is best to start quieting a PC by using quiet components, but if you do have vibration hum--which does show up in some people's cases--, then this type of dampening can help. I agree that in any case, brand-name Dynamat is not worth the expense. Bitumen roofer's tape is a DIY Dynamat alternative that works quite well. Search on bitumen---maybe start here.

What material you choose for dampening depends on what type of noise you are trying to dampen. For vibration hum, adding weight to the vibrating panel (ie with bitumen roofer's tape) will help. If you are trying to absorb whine (ie from a HDD or fan), then a sound absorbing foam would be what you'd need. ie the AcoustiPack or Magic Fleece mentioned above or some DIY alternative.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:56 pm

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:42 am

I have dynamat xtreme lined in the whole case for mechanical vibration dampening, but didn't notice much sound dampening from the fans and such. I also used the white ceiling tile foam melanie from mcmaster and volara from a local shop. I also used some acoustical foam to stuff the drive bays. I'm curious if the commercial stuff that Mike C and others have reviewed works better, but the biggest thing that helps is sorbothane for the drives and a super quiet power supply and vga/cpu/case fan.

Unless I'm mistaken I've looked at Mike C's pictures of his case and it doesn't have much lining, just an open case with power supply outside and some quiet fans. BTW, I also have my power supply outside it makes a big difference. Good luck.