Quality sound dampening material in Australia?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bosk

Quality sound dampening material in Australia?

Post by Bosk » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:46 am

Hey guys,

I'm planning to purchase some sound absorbtion material for my new SLK3700BQE by the end of next week, and all i've been able to find from aussie online vendors so far has been this Noise Isolator Flex Pad Kit from PC Case Gear, and this Spire Sound Pad from Lownoise PC Supplies, neither of which particularly impress me - one being 4mm thick and the other 5mm thick.

What I really would like is some fat, juicy foam stuff like the Acoustipack I've seen used here... does anyone know of where i can buy anything similar in AU please?

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:31 pm

Try Clark Rubber they have a large inventory of rubber and plastic products . none I know of marketed for the purpose, but most likely they have something of use

Bosk

Post by Bosk » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:55 am

pony-tail wrote:Try Clark Rubber they have a large inventory of rubber and plastic products . none I know of marketed for the purpose, but most likely they have something of use

I remember buying some rubber grommets from Clark Rubber in the past but hadn't considered them for dampening stuff.
Thanks pony-tail i'll look into it.

kogi

Post by kogi » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:57 am

Clarke rubber was really expensive
Bunnings also sell a blue carpet underlay or (yoga mat)
AU$17 /sq mt
kogi

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:40 am

IIRC, there's a fairly big thread from one of our Aussie members that details his search for dampening materials found locally in Australia. I think it was originally posted about the second half of last year. He found something that worked well but I don't remember any further details. Maybe some creative use of the "search" function would turn it up.

Bosk

Post by Bosk » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:22 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:IIRC, there's a fairly big thread from one of our Aussie members that details his search for dampening materials found locally in Australia. I think it was originally posted about the second half of last year. He found something that worked well but I don't remember any further details. Maybe some creative use of the "search" function would turn it up.

Thanks for mentioning it Ralph I did manage to find that article :)
The Soundsorber Barrier looks particularly hefty and tons better than the generic stuff that came in the GMC Trinity i was using (till the door broke off, very sad story actually).