Silver or Black colour scheme? Help me decide!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Silver or Black colour scheme for my new system? Help me decide

Silver
60%
Black
40%

Total votes: 30

davidstone28

Silver or Black colour scheme? Help me decide!

Post by davidstone28 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:08 am

Silver or Black colour scheme for my new system?

Can't decide, so most votes wins!

Silver:-

Image Image Image Image

Black:-

Image Image Image

bomba

Post by bomba » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:26 am

I think you're wacky for asking us, I'd pick the color that goes best in it's intended surroundings. However, I voted silver, 'cuz black seems to be equivalent to the beige of yesteryear. Silver is more elegant.

prof99

Post by prof99 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:32 am

How about a mix? These two colors go along together very well, so you could get, say, a black case, a silver monitor, and either a black or silver keyboard/mouse. Besides that, go with black.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:48 am

I honestly can't decide, hence the poll.

Personally, I have a slight preference for silver because it blends better with the pine desk that I have. Having said that, the photos of the silver Lian-Li don't look so flattering (maybe its just a bad photo). Also stealthing the 5.25inch drive bays in silver is a pain and I would also wouldn't be able to use my slot loading DVD drive. Finding a silver / aluminium keyboard in the UK is pain as well. The there's the overall problem of whether all the components match each other in terms of silver / aluminium colour......

Black is alot simpler to set up and everything will match very easily but as a colour seems to be a bit obtrusive.

Personally, I'm not keen on a mix. Silver screen and black keyboard etc looks weird IMO ;)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:33 am

I voted black. It's hard to match silver bezels.

shathal

Post by shathal » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:25 pm

Black.

Trying to find those can be bad enough, trying to find good 5.25" devices which go with silver is a RPITA.:)

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:30 pm

I voted silver -- just so I could make it a 5-5 tie :lol:

Dave

PS and I'm already tired of my black system... :cry:

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:05 pm

To me, black is more elegant and less flashy (literally). Silver is fine, though.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:14 pm

I voted silver...doesn't that case have a cover for the optical drive anyway? so matching the colour shouldn't really be an issue...

Black seems...dunno...just dull somehow...the safe option I suppose. I expect though you'd be less likely to look at it in a year's time and say to yourself...oh, no...what on earth was I thinking... :cry:

I've just bought an Iiyama Prolite E431S btw (black...ahem)...it's the dog's whatsits... :wink:

edit: oops, I missed the bit about the slot-loading drive. That could indeed be a problem...I'd still go for silver though. I think deep down, you'll know what you really want...it's like buying a car in a way. You like a car in spite of its faults, or you hate it in spite of its virtues...you find yourself rationalising trying to justify a gut-feeling decision you've already made.

Ummm...I think I'll shut up now... :roll:

msde

Post by msde » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:27 pm

I'd go silver. A little bit of difference in reflectiveness doesn't bother me in silver components, but I find it glaring when there are several black components with varying degrees of matte. I don't like matte in the first place, I like my black shiny and smooth.

Just make sure none of that silver is just grey.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:59 pm

Black; as Ralf so graciously pointed out in another thread a while back, Dan from Dan's letters has always made the point that black computers are simply faster! :lol:

luggage

Post by luggage » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:50 pm

Since you are here at SPCR you care about your ears - go black and care about the ergonomics for your eyes too.

As for fast colours I've allways thought that red was the universially accepted fastest colour ;)

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:53 pm

Red? Well, that would be the case for cars, at least. :-)

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:27 pm

Why not a bit of visuo-acoustic homeopathy: safety/day-glo orange?

The loud color will make the computer quieter.

BTW, I've tended toward all black. I'm still impressed with the industrial design of Steve Jobs' NeXt cube. And the Connection Machine was all black with black translucent front panels with a myriad blinking red LEDS (one for each processor). And a black Bugati is classic.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:38 pm

Based just upon looks, I think silver is better. However it sounds like it will be hard for you to find silver parts. So I say either go black or go 2-tone. My setup is black/silver, and I really like it.

peerke

Post by peerke » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:02 pm

Edward Ng wrote:Black; as Ralf so graciously pointed out in another thread a while back, Dan from Dan's letters has always made the point that black computers are simply faster! :lol:
Ah, but of course silver is quieter as it as it dissepates heat much, much better :twisted: !