Question for Ralf Hutter about the SLK3700-BQE

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Compddd

Question for Ralf Hutter about the SLK3700-BQE

Post by Compddd » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:48 pm

Hi Ralf, would a SLK3700-BQE work well for a Athlon64 FX-53 939 setup with a 6800 Ultra? I have a Enermax Noisetaker 420W power supply and it is very quiet, Im using it with an Antec P160. I run a Zalman 7000 on the FX 53 at 5V and it cools it enough, I also run the 120mm fan on the P160 at 5V and everything stays pretty cool. However the P160 and its side panels are resonating very loudly and its driving me insane. Do the panels on the SLK3700-BQE resonate or do they stay quiet because it is a steel case?
Last edited by Compddd on Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Dooley

Post by Michael Dooley » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:10 pm

Hey, Compddd:

His name is Ralf Hutter, not Hunter. Please make an attempt to get it right, OK? Using other members name in a thread, even if they are Reviewers or Staff of any kind, is really not the best approach as far as I can tell. No disrespect, but this kind of thing can be pretty irritating, especially in a public forum. Maybe Ralf can give us his point of view. And maybe not.

Please use the search function under the Cases and Damping forum to search for info on this particular case - lots of info available. This is not a question that only Ralf can answer, for instance, as numerous others (not me BTW) have built computers using this case.

Have a little mercy on Ralf, Compddd. :) Good luck.

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:32 pm

But isn't Ralf the expert to ask go-to guy?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:03 pm

Typically, if Ralf suggests something, it's wise to follow his words. But there are others on these forums who are just as capable as he is.

But here's the kicker, Ralf usually gives advice on things he's worked with directly. So chances are, he won't be able to help you that much, since I don't recall him talking much about AMD systems or nVidia videocards. But here's a better suggestion. You could
a) Send him an email or a private message if you want his help directly. Here's a link to his info.
b) Read or Post to this thread here: Antec SLK3700BQE "Black Quiet Edition" case Review
c) Just ask for help in general.

Now, even though you didn't ask ME for help, I'll answer you with my experience. The BQE side panels haven't really resonated for me. But you know what has? The door when it's closed. I suspect it's a function of the hard drives more than anything else (I have 4), but I think the DVD drive will cause it to resonate as well.

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:12 pm

There isn't an audible hum though caused by the case sides or case door is there though? This P160 creates a very loud hum :/

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Post by CharlieChan » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:31 am

Looking at your sig. I going to guess the noise is caused by the 74G RAPTOR. You can verify this by placing the drive on a piece of foam on the bottom of the case. If the hum goes away then the BQE is not going to solve your problem.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Question for Ralf Hutter about the SLK3700-BQE

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:44 am

Compddd wrote:Hi Ralf, would a SLK3700-BQE work well for a Athlon64 FX-53 939 setup with a 6800 Ultra?
Sure it would. It's a standard ATX case.
Compddd wrote:However the P160 and its side panels are resonating very loudly and its driving me insane. Do the panels on the SLK3700-BQE resonate or do they stay quiet because it is a steel case?
The P160 resonates more then most smaller aluminum case becase it's side panels are fairly large aren't made of particularly thick aluminum.

If you don't want to shell out the bucks for a new case you could try working with your current case. I'd highly suggest decouple mounting your HDD (and to a lesser extent, your fans and perhaps the PSU as well), either by suspending it or mounting it on something like Sorbothane. Both of these techniques are well written up here at SPCR. There's and article about suspension mounted HDDs on the main SPCR site and many threads about both styles in the forums.

Another thing to do would be to try dampening the side panels and rear panel of your case to reduce their sympathetic vibrations. Lots of good discussions about this sort of thing in the forums too.

If you want to go for the 3700BQE, I'm very confident that your resonation problem will be helped considerably. However, a steel case isn't necessarily a panacea. Steel cases can resonate too, just generally not nearly as bad as aluminum cases.