New Case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

greshoff

New Case

Post by greshoff » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:51 pm

Hi

I am thinking of replacing the case on my computer with a Lian Li PC-60. I have never replaced a case before and was wondering how difficult a job it may be. Are there any tips that can be offered. I have replaced the power supply, CPU heatsink & fan, installed fans, hard drives etc.

I look forward to your comments

Thanks
Martin

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:05 am

It sounds like you done a good amount of work on your computer before, so it should be pretty easy, just make sure you take your time.

One reservation I have though is using a Lian Li PC60 case, it's a very nice looking case and is easy to work with (been using one for a couple years), but it needs to be modded a little if you want to make the most of it. The 80mm rear fan grill needs chopping for a start and you'll probably need some dampening material on the side pannels. Having said that I get CPU temps under 50 degrees with just a 5v panaflo L1A and the zalman cooler set to 5v in the rig I have in a PC60 so it can't be that bad once you've done a little cuttung :)

greshoff

Post by greshoff » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:32 am

What are the fans like on this case? Are they quiet? I was thinking of replacing then with silenx fans, Is this a good idea?

Martin

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:11 am

The fans I got were ok for airflow, but poor for quietness. Definitely replace them!!! :roll: Silenx are good, panaflo also (and are a lot cheaper at least where I am). You might get away with just one rear exhaust fan - depends on how hot your other components are. If you've got a top fan hole you could use it for ducting to your psu (if the psu is of the right design type).

greshoff

Post by greshoff » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:33 am

Yes, I was thinking of using some dampening material to absorb sound. I am a little concerned how temps will be with dampening material applied. Any idea how much they may rise by?

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:49 am

Mine didn't rise more than maybe 1 degree if that and I've completely coated the PC60 in powersnooze, which just shows that the whole aluminium cases run cooler than steel is complete rubbish - they just look nicer!
You'll probably only notice a rise in temps if you're passively cooling.

Rook
Friend of SPCR

Post by Rook » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:53 am

When I started thinking of silencing my PC, dampening material was the first thing I thought of, too. Problem is, dampening is a lot more trouble than picking quiet components in the first place. Sound dampening should only be looked into after the loud components have been replaced with quieter ones, IMHO.

greshoff

Post by greshoff » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:40 am

All my components, Power supply, CPU heatsink & Fan, Case Fans, Hard Drives, Video Card have been 'silenced' I want the use the dampening material to reduce the remaining 'noise'

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:01 pm

Ok greshoff
If you've got all of your components as quiet as possible I say go for the new case, just make sure you decouple the HD, CPU and fans, plus make sure your happy not getting a case with better airflow the PC60 looks nice but a 120mm fan exhaust is always a good thing if you can get it. It may be a good idea to isolate where your remaining noise is coming from before upgrading as dampening material is not a universal fix - a good hard disk enclosure or replacing a fan or two may be a better way to more quietnesss. :D

NeilBlanchard

What case are you replacing?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:56 pm

Hello Martin:

What case are you replacing? :P

greshoff

Post by greshoff » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:08 pm

Hi,

My hard Drives are enclosed in Silentmaxx enclosures which work well. The PC60 case I assume has 2 x 80mm intake & 1 x 80mm exhaust fans.
My current case is a very, very cheap thin steel & plastic case. I don't know who it is made by or its model number.

Martin

NeilBlanchard

I would not get the PC60

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:06 am

Hello Martin:

There is a good reason not to get the PC60 -- the air grills look to be be very restrictive. There is a good reason why it is not on the recommended cases list!

Please, for your own sake -- look at the recommended cases list here at SPCR and choose a case from there. I'm not saying that all good cases are on the list; just that the list is a much better place to start than the PC60...