Raidmax Virgo 811

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Megaweapon

Raidmax Virgo 811

Post by Megaweapon » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:25 am

I'm considering the Raidmax Virgo 811 as a reasonable-looking case with four internal 3.5" bays (not turned sideways) and space for 120mm fans on the front and back. Does anyone here have any experience with this case? Newegg has good pictures (although I'd be getting the "titanium" aka black model).

The one review I've found seemed generally positive, but I'd like to know what people think about it from a silent perspective.

pwjone1

Raidmax Virgo 811

Post by pwjone1 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:31 pm

The Raidmax Virgo 811 looks reasonably interesting, possibly fairly quiet, but it's hard to tell:

1. Grill in front looks a bit wide open
2. Grill in back looks wrong sized for 120mm fan

Not sure what the front fan is. Is it 120mm?

Megaweapon

Post by Megaweapon » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:28 pm

Looks like there are actually two reviews of this case: one and two.

All the specs and reviews say that both the front and rear fans are 120mm.

I don't think the grill on the front is as open as the bezel pretends. One of the Newegg pictures shows what I mean. Look at the metal next the the fan on the front and notice that there are no holes:

Of course this picture also shows off the largest flaw of the case: The ridiculous "cheese grater" vent holes on the back. I can definitely see having to remove these to promote air flow. Hopefully they haven't made it overly difficult.

Something else interesting about this case is that the stock Raidmax KY-520 power supply (420W) comes with a 120mm fan. It claims to be quiet, but I doubt very much that it can stack up to my Enermax EG465P-VE(FC). The paper clip test will tell, if I end up getting this.

Megaweapon

Post by Megaweapon » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:16 am

I ended up buying this case. The fans on the front and back are 120mm x 25mm NAC NA1202512S. I can't hear them from more than a foot or two away even at stock voltage, but searching the forums doesn't bring up any information on them...

The power supply is similarly very quiet. I've never isolated my Enermax but I already know this is quieter ("whisper" my ass). The fan on the side of the case is set up to blow out and is of unknown make (it has a Raidmax sticker covering up any identifying markings it may have). The side fan is temperature controlled however so I haven't gotten an honest noise reading from it yet.

Next week I'm going to put everything (see this thread in the System Advice forum) together with the case in stock configuration and see what happens. If I don't like the temps or the noise I've got a sizable list of things I can change.

charlaph
Patron of SPCR

Post by charlaph » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:05 pm

I bought some memory from ebuyer recently and added 4x 120mm case fans to the order just for the sake of it as they were cheap and didn't bump up the postage. They cost 65p each for LED ones (quickfind code 65696 - now up to 80p) and 56p (!) each for black ones (63281 - now up to 82p)

The black ones are NAC NA1202512S's, I haven't tried them yet, but have just changed the 4 pin molex to a 3 pin header, so I'll fit one tomorrow and report back how good they are. Could be a bargain.