New PC-Case: Arctic Cooling Silentium

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:52 pm

Dago I've thought of that too, I would think even a low airflow system that is fighting against natural convection would give almost identical results to one going with it, (anyone want to experiment with their case upside-down? :wink: ) But that's purely conjecture. I'd welcome any comments to refute my statement!

The only problem you might get is hot air pockets near the top of the case, but the fans seem to deal with that with this one.

Of more concern is having fans fighting against each other's airflow, like in my case for instance which has the CPU fan, 120mm bottom mounted PSU fan and case exhaust fan all in close proximity to each other, pulling air in all different directions. This case still seems to be doing that to an extent though.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:34 pm

I'm quite interested in this case, is there any review yet?

Kingcow

Post by Kingcow » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:37 pm

I recheck those photoes from the German sites and found that may be the decription about thermodynamic confuses us as:

There are two major air inlets: rear bottom and behind CPU. Where the 4 fans operated (negative pressure) and draw fresh air from the two inlets.

Fresh air from rear bottom -> slot cards->HDD muffler->P.S.-> exhaust through front bottom vents. The fresh air cool the cards and P.S.

Fresh air from behind CPU->CPU->exhaust through top rear. The fresh air cool CPU and HDDs.

There are two inlets and two outlets - no conflict no dead corners! I believe Silentium is a product from lab and design with thermodynamic in mind, not like other companies just add two 120mm fans (front and back)!!

Finally is the exhaust fan (Arctic Fan 3), my friend got two to replace his cases fans. When in 12V, I CANNOT hear ANY bearing noise when place near my ear with distance 3" (only wind flow sound)!! Recheck the specification the max air flow is 32 CFM, i.e. total 64 CFM for two that beat those 120mm fans at 2000 RPM both in cooling power and noise level!

:lol: :lol:

Kingcow

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:08 am

Is there no new info on this case?

maxxxim

Post by maxxxim » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:45 am

We did some measurements with Arctic Cooling Silentium 1, here are results:

Spec:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
CPU Cooler Arctic Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra
MB Chaintech SK8T800
512MB RAM
120GB Samsung SP1213C SerialATA
VGA 256MB Radeon 9600Pro + Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev.3 (Low)
DVD+/-RW LG
Case: Arctic Cooling Silentium 1

Noise measurement devices:
Noise: Brüel & Kjaer 2260D
Microfon: Brüel & Kjaer 4189
Noise Calibrator: Brüel & Kjaer 4231

Measurement performed by Health Protection Inspectorate Central Laboratory of Phisics;
Normative documents and methods:
ISO 1996/1-1982, ISO 1996-2:1987, ISO 1996-3:1987, ISO 3095-2:1975, ISO 7196:1995

Measurement distance: 1m
And finally results:
CPU stress at 50%: equivalent noise level 29,4 dBA
Minimum noise level 28 dBA (1m from back)
Maximum noise level 32,2 dBA (1m from right side)

edz

Post by edz » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:41 am

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:54 am

edz wrote:review @ bit-tech: http://www.bit-tech.net/review/370
At last! :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:05 am

Rather mixed reactions by the reviewer -- as if he couldn't really get wrap his mind about it and was conflicted about whether it is basically good with some faws or basically flawed with some strengths.

tha_lode

Post by tha_lode » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:46 am

There is a norwegian review at hardware.no which says eventhough it´s a bit fiddly to install the mobo, the noise and the price outweigh these problems.

MikeC: Will we see a review here soon? I would never buy anything without checking by SPCR if it is up to your standards. javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:56 am

They're supposedly shipping one directly from China, but I am not holding my breath. Tis the shipping season. No US/Canada distr. yet, I think.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:06 pm

Dirkvader review (translated).

It doesn't translate the last paragraph, atleast not for me, so I've done it here:

"Result: The Arctic Cooling Silentium T2 left a very good impression. To that Swiss enterprises seems the entrance in the Case Business at first attempt to have succeeded. By the completely independent air flow concept, the computer offers not only an outstanding temperature behavior, but also a low noise level. Silents can actually make a risers somewhat wrong with the Silentium T2 hardly more. Because the Silentium T2 was already equipped by Arctic Cooling with everything, which for a quiet enterprise is necessary. Beside two temperature-controlled housing exhausts and that swinging stored non removable disk box, even a 350 Watt strong silent power pack with active power factor correction was integrated. The typical noise level is with approx. 29.0 railway (A), which represents a very good value for a before-configured silent system. The relatively wertige housing is cleanly finished and optically quite works responding. The somewhat unfortunate handling of the black housing base did not fall so well. The space conditions do not satisfy altogether regarded perhaps also everyone. But the installation of the optical drive assemblies can be realized due to the rail system which can be handled very simply in shortest time. Unterm line ties Arctic Cooling with the Silentium T2 an impressive total package, which is recommended particularly well for silent a riser. With a purchase price of EUR 79.90 the Silentium T2 can be called among other things by its extensive equipment good deals."

NeilBlanchard

it is small -- but there is no sense fighting it! :-)

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:08 pm

Hello:

The force of the rising warm air is small -- but there is no sense fighting it! :-) If you work with it, then you get a cooler case with less effort. And the difference between working with it -- and working against it is not negligible.

GameManK

Post by GameManK » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:13 pm

very intriguing.

no US vendors yet?

BigDu21

Re: it is small -- but there is no sense fighting it! :-)

Post by BigDu21 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:12 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello:

The force of the rising warm air is small -- but there is no sense fighting it! :-) If you work with it, then you get a cooler case with less effort. And the difference between working with it -- and working against it is not negligible.
I would tend to agree w/ Neil...It would seem to me that it would make more sense to have a PSU Duct that cuts it off from the rest of the computer as far as the airflow goes--doing a duct mod like I've read on here (and which I'll be trying here in the next few months) would seem to make more sense than that convulted thing they've got going there. Of course, I tend to be a fan of the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid!). :lol: 8)

But I suppose for a person who wanted a quieter PC w/o much work, this case would probably do the job adequately.