Newbie needs advice on a Chieftec BX case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

egalitarian

Newbie needs advice on a Chieftec BX case

Post by egalitarian » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:25 pm

I'm new to silent computing and I need an advice about the Chieftec BX case that I consider buying soon. I did a search here on the forums and didn't find anything about it. Is it any good in terms of silence?

It's gonna be eventualy the 120mm rear fan version equipped with a Seasonic 400FT (rev.A3) PSU. Other cooling components include a Zalman 7000-AlCu and a Zalman ZM80C-HP VGA cooler with a silent 80mm fan. So what do you think about the Chieftec BX? Is it good vibration-wise? Does the HDD cage helps silencing the HDD? Any comments greatly appreciated as I'm new to all this stuff.

egalitarian

Post by egalitarian » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:30 am

I've been reading the SPCR articles and forums for some time and from them I guess that the case being made of steel instead of Al is a plus due to the lower resonance, being heavier also helps to reduce vibration noise. But at the end I don't have enough experience to decide if I'm on the right track.

Sorry for bumping but I would really appreciate an advice from a science-experts like you. I'll be buying it the next week so some info will be very usefull.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:52 am

egalitarian wrote:I've been reading the SPCR articles and forums for some time and from them I guess that the case being made of steel instead of Al is a plus due to the lower resonance, being heavier also helps to reduce vibration noise. But at the end I don't have enough experience to decide if I'm on the right track.

Sorry for bumping but I would really appreciate an advice from a science-experts like you. I'll be buying it the next week so some info will be very usefull.
Yes, you're definitely on the right track about the steel vs. aluminum thing.

As far as the BX itself, I've never actually used that exact model, but all the BX is, is a standard Chieftec Dragon (also known as the Antec SX1030 or SX1040 or SX1080) with a different front bezel design. I've used the SX10x0 cases for years and really like them. The Dragon/SX10x0 cases are built very well and are very good cases. Rumor has it that this series of cases are the most popular aftermarket cases ever made.

It's a pretty big case though. If you don't need all the room that it provides, I'd suggest looking at the Antec SLK3700AMB, or the Compu-case 6A19 or the Evercase 4252. All of them have the same amount of external and internal drive bays as the BX, but have somewhat better ventilation, and should, all other things being equal, run a bit quieter than the big Dragon/SX10x0/BX cases.

egalitarian

Post by egalitarian » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:47 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:...I'd suggest looking at the Antec SLK3700AMB, or the Compu-case 6A19 or the Evercase 4252...
Unfortunately I don't have access to anyone of those available at the local retailer. What I have from Antec is:
SLK1600, SLK 2600AMB, Super LANBOY, SONATA, SX1040BII, Plus 1080AMG and thats it. No Evercase or Compu-case around. Thanks for the advice though.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:55 pm

egalitarian wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:...I'd suggest looking at the Antec SLK3700AMB, or the Compu-case 6A19 or the Evercase 4252...
Unfortunately I don't have access to anyone of those available at the local retailer. What I have from Antec is:
SLK1600, SLK 2600AMB, Super LANBOY, SONATA, SX1040BII, Plus 1080AMG and thats it. No Evercase or Compu-case around. Thanks for the advice though.
Where do you live?

egalitarian

Post by egalitarian » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:17 pm

Bulgaria

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:23 pm

Hmm. I don't think that Newegg ships there.... :)

There's a guy on the forums with the username burcakb that lives in Turkey. You might look at some of his posts and see what he's using. I think he's running a 6A19. Even if he's not, you could ask him for some sources somewhat local to you.

egalitarian

Post by egalitarian » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:04 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:Hmm. I don't think that Newegg ships there.... :)

There's a guy on the forums with the username burcakb that lives in Turkey. You might look at some of his posts and see what he's using. I think he's running a 6A19. Even if he's not, you could ask him for some sources somewhat local to you.
Infact I can order online but the cost will go higher than acceptable. Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure that the difference between SLK3700AMB and Chieftec BX is worth the extra effort and if you're saying that it's not bad I think I'll go with it. The other options were the Coolermaster cases Pretorian and Centurion but I excluded the one being aluminum and the other having this punctured bezel that doesn't stop the noise much. They're also selling Xpider II or Gaming Bomb but they just look silly to me.