Antec Aria gaming rig with an Intel processor - My Story

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

nosaturn

Antec Aria gaming rig with an Intel processor - My Story

Post by nosaturn » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:42 pm

Intro:
First let me tell you I haven't built a computer in probably 5 years. Since then, I've been more involved in work, car audio, and my family. I've been using laptops at home and a Dell I purchased a year ago. The Dell was impressively quite (to me). But since I bought my wife a new laptop, I got to start building my new computer. I wanted something small, fast and quiet. So I choose the Antec Aria mainly because it's fairly small, mATX and well... small. I knew I could choose a "shuttle"-type barebones and it would be smaller, but I didn't really like the idea of being so limited on choice. I read a review (not here) and the guy talked about how quite it was.

Well, I'll tell you they were not exactly right. The Aria can be very noisy, so this is more or less the story of what I’m doing to make it closer in noise level to the Dell.

"A Dell computer as a reference?" you ask? Well it's a Dell 4550 with a P4 2.6. With everything off in the condo, I can barely hear it. It's at least as quiet as any of the laptops I've used (at idle).

Assembling the team:
First I picked up my mb used from someone at work – an Asus P4P800-vm. I wanted this motherboard because it had a fairly recent controller chipset, took PC3200 ram (up to 4gb), had S-ATA and was mATX. I would have considered another chipset (and AMD), but I've had bad experiences with VIA (a long time ago remember). It also has on-board video and sound, nice bonus :)

Then I ordered my Aria case, a new Intel Prescott 3.2 gig processor, and a Seagate Barracuda 160gb S-ATA hard drive. That came in and I picked up a Sony dual-layer DVD burner (DRU-710A) and a Zalman CNPS7000-cu HSF.

I didn't do quite the research I thought I had done. I also had not found SPCR yet. I didn't know the P4e would be a 100W proc and run so hot. I just saw "new technology" and 1mb onboard cache. I knew Barracuda's were supposed to be quiet drives, but I got a VII... oh well. I did however do a lot of research trying to figure out if the Zalman 7000 would fit. Finally, I bought it at a local retail store and figured if it didn't fit, I'd return it.

Initial system build:
Everything went together fine. You have to remove the power supply to get the MB and everything in. Well you don't HAVE to.... it's just a little simpler. But then I discovered that putting that ps back in can be tricky. In the end, I pulled the Zalman off so the ps slid back in easier. Get the power all connected and viola! - nothing. no POST, no BIOS, no beeps.... I can hear the fan switch on, but nothing. [insert many bad words]

Special note #1 to system builders.... If you buy a motherboard, make sure you get the BIOS flashed with the latest revision. When trying to find out what was happening, I did happen across people with no POST, no BIOS, no video output and I saw people recommending they flash the BIOS. In my simple mind, i figured it can't be that since I’m not even getting to the BIOS. 2 hours on hold waiting for Asus tech support and a 5 minute conversation with their support guy revealed that, yes indeed, if your BIOS is old, you won't POST or get video output. Now how does one update a BIOS on a system with no floppy and a too fast proc? Answer: gut the Dell. Oh, and send the wife out shopping because this is not pretty.

With an updated BIOS on board, the system boots now and it's install time.

Special note #2... Disable card readers when installing Windows on a S-ATA drive. Having your hard drive as F: is not as cool as it sounds.

System is up and running, and it doesn't sound too loud. Louder than I thought it would be... but after getting into SPCR, I’m starting to think I'll be able to play with that. I love ripping things apart and I’m used to long build times. It took me a couple years to build my car into a winning sound off machine. So a couple months working on this computer should be fun!

Loading Doom3:
The bonus feature of built in graphics is pretty worthless if you want to really game. If I was a crack smoker, it would explain my reasoning as to why I thought I could limp along on the Intel Extreme Edition 2 video. Maybe it was the early thoughts of building a HTPC that deluded me into thinking internal video could pass.... But with Tivo's running near $100 now, adding to my Tivo network makes more sense than building a HTPC.

So I order up the ATI Radeon 9800Pro with 256mb ddr ram. When it came to price/performance, this baby won. I got a special deal that made it an offer I couldn't refuse. So when the full retail box was opened, I started drooling looking at the beauty or if all. I also noticed the tiny little stock fan and the thought occurred to me, "Boy, I hope thats' not too loud!"

Epilogue:
This brings us pretty much up to date. I play mostly Sims2 and Doom3 on the computer right now because I'm still in "build mode." This beast is fasat, but noisy. I've installed Speed fan and found that turning the case fan down really helps. Pressing my finger on the video fan makes the biggest difference.

I worry a little about temperatures... I idle at about 54c and when playing the CPU sits at about 69c. I can live with that for now since I'm not done, but those numbers need to go down as well as the sound level.

So I'm planning on the following:
  • Artic Cooling ATI Silencer ver3 - and removing the cyclone blower that comes with the case.
    Artic Silver V thermal compound all around.
    new 120mm fan, either Papst, AcoustiFan or Nexus.
    increasing the number of vent holes in the PS.
    wire sleeves (I know it's mostly looks, but they will also route easier too).
    replacing the Zalman fan.
    and possibly opening some of the holes in the case for more air inlet.

Any comments or suggestions? I'm ordering the ATI silencer and Artic Silver V today....

-Brian Haley
cars, audio, computers, travel, and a two year old who sings the star spangled banner

Shad0WeN

Post by Shad0WeN » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:29 pm

The Antec Aria seems like a heat trap and has poor ventilation from what I can tell. When I was shopping around for a case to build a LAN gaming box back in June/July I was considering the Aria and read a few reviews on it and they said the same thing. I have also checked out the Aria in person and I would have to say that the reviews were accurate. There's not much of a place for it to pull in air through the front vents because of the face design and the vent area on the power supply is so small it's ridiculous. Some other things I would also change would be to get rid of the card reader to save space, add some holes in the front for mounting an optional fan or two (one larger fan would be better than two smaller), alter the mounting method for the expansion cards so that they are not screwed in on the outside, and redesign the aesthetics of the unit because it's a bit ugly in my opinion. While the size is very convenient and it has some really neat features, I think the Aria needs some redesigning and hopefully we will see a future revision(s).

As I'm sure you have guessed by now, I passed on the Aria and ended up getting an Inwin V500 micro ATX case. Yes, it's bigger than the Aria but I have to say that I really like the features and build quality of it and that I'm very happy with it. There's a couple of mods I want to get done, and then it'll be perfect. For example, the main thing is that right now I have an 80mm Panaflo in the front attached with double-sided mounting tape because there aren't any holes for a fan, but I plan to drill some and cut a section of the front out for a 120mm low speed Panaflo.

As far as the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencers go, I would check this thread out before buying:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=15746
Last edited by Shad0WeN on Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StealthGirl
-- Vendor --

Post by StealthGirl » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:33 pm

I'm going to be building one of these Aria's myself here shortly, and modifying it to run fanless (yes, it's a big project, which I will detail later). So, I've done a LOT of research about this box over the past several months. With your configuration it's going to run HOT... real fast. That ATI 9800 draws almost 70 watts all by itself ... and that's as much as the CPU.

So, you are going to have to get more air into the case. So yes, a side fan, or even a bottom-draw fan, underneath where that card-reader assembly sticks out is in order. I don't like the blow-hole on top approach because it will disrupt the airflow over the CPU heatsink. I think the right side (CPU side) is the best place for a side fan. Somethink like this:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stealthgi ... pg&.src=ph

Then cut-out the shelf on the bottom of the PSU to let the exhaust fan work better:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stealthgi ... m=4635.jpg

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stealthgi ... pg&.src=ph

But, the REAL secret to the Aria will be this (in an exclusive preview!):

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stealthgi ... m=1def.jpg

:)

Kate

Linus

Post by Linus » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:59 pm

Poor guy, he took the time to write up this much about his new computer and Shad0WeN bad-mouths the case and StealthGirl tries to hijack the thread with her own, more ambitious project.

nosaturn - I'm at the same stage as you, with a different but equally challenging small case (Silverstone SST-LC02). Keep us posted with how your mods go and the effect they have on those temps.

Shad0WeN

Post by Shad0WeN » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:15 pm

Linus wrote:Poor guy, he took the time to write up this much about his new computer and Shad0WeN bad-mouths the case and StealthGirl tries to hijack the thread with her own, more ambitious project.

nosaturn - I'm at the same stage as you, with a different but equally challenging small case (Silverstone SST-LC02). Keep us posted with how your mods go and the effect they have on those temps.
Bad-mouths the case?? I just gave an honest opinion of it and some insight into why I feel that particular case runs hot. And yes, I read his entire post. If you really see it as bad-mouthing something then I think you are taking things too personally or just looking to pick a fight for no reason.

Straker

Post by Straker » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:26 pm

honest and bad-mouthing are not mutually exclusive :P
besides, with enough work you can turn pretty much any case into any other, aside from the bezel.

Shad0WeN

Post by Shad0WeN » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:41 pm

Well you can look at it however you like. I didn't intend to bad-mouth anything or hurt anyone's e-feelings because my opinion of the product was somewhat critical. I mean if it really bothers someone that much then they really need to get out from behind the monitor and go out or something.
Last edited by Shad0WeN on Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nosaturn

Post by nosaturn » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:42 pm

I like the case so far. I'm partial to the looks and not really willing to loose the media slots. I use alot of media - SD, CF and memory stick.

I like the cut out on the PS. I'll have to keep that in mind. I think the PS is on my list next week.

As far as the VGA Silencer, I'll look out for what Shad0WeN mentioned. NewEgg seems to have a good return policy.

I forgot to mention, I'm still looking for a ieee1394 PCI card that has the same internal header as the case. In other words, not the standard plug.

-Brian Haley

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:06 pm

nosaturn wrote:I've installed Speed fan and found that turning the case fan down really helps.
SpeedFan's supported hardware wrote:ASUS P4P800-VM Both CPU and CASE fans are controlled by SPEED01
So if you need independend control of both your case fan and CPU fan you can't use SpeedFan (or any other software) with this mobo.

nosaturn

Post by nosaturn » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:09 pm

Tibors wrote:
SpeedFan's supported hardware wrote:ASUS P4P800-VM Both CPU and CASE fans are controlled by SPEED01
So if you need independend control of both your case fan and CPU fan you can't use SpeedFan (or any other software) with this mobo.
I forgot to mention I found that out too, so the CPU HSF is connected to the included fan mate (1 I believe).

Bean

Post by Bean » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:36 pm

StealthGirl wrote: Then cut-out the shelf on the bottom of the PSU to let the exhaust fan work better:

Kate
IMHO you reduce the air intake through the rest of the PSU by cutting out that area. Since you already did this have you noticed the PSU get hotter or fan speed increase?

Also, is the PSU fan driven by a thermal sensor and if so where is it located?

Shad0WeN

Post by Shad0WeN » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:45 pm

Bean wrote:
StealthGirl wrote: Then cut-out the shelf on the bottom of the PSU to let the exhaust fan work better:

Kate
IMHO you reduce the air intake through the rest of the PSU by cutting out that area.
I'm not so sure about that in this case. You should see the vents on it (two of which get blocked by the right side panel and case top panel, respectively).
Last edited by Shad0WeN on Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bean

Post by Bean » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:46 pm

I put a bunch of holes in the bottom of my aria. about the first inch and a half. Note that it may be possibile an electrical fire can somehow flame out through the holes and start a fire. the shuttle's Zen has holes on the bottom of its case.

Bean

Post by Bean » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:01 pm

Shad0WeN wrote:
Bean wrote:

Kate
IMHO you reduce the air intake through the rest of the PSU by cutting out that area.
I'm not so sure about that in this case. You should see the vents on it.
Welll I'm not so sure either but I got an aria and yes there arent many vents on that PSU. My point is that you arent increasing ventilation to the PSU by cutting that out. I'm afraid you reduce the negative pressure generated within the PSU thereby decreasing the airflow through the little bit of venting the PSU does have.

StealthGirl
-- Vendor --

Post by StealthGirl » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:30 pm

H-e-l-l-o ...

No, I haven't tried it yet, because I said I don't own it yet; at the same time, yes, it's going to work. That PSU is getting vented by a 120mm fan. Opening that slot on 25% of the available area is only going INCREASE the cooling on the PSU heatsinks, not decrease it. In fact, the guy who designed this piece of poo couldn't possibly have graduated from college; the venting of this case is so incredibly bad that everyone in the world knows it. Do a Google search on "Antec Aria" and find out for yourself ... poor guy will probably never design another case.

And, no, I'm NOT hijacking this thread.

"You all play nice, OK?" :roll:

Kate

Bean

Post by Bean » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:09 pm

StealthGirl,
:oops: Sorry I didnt catch in your post that you dont have the aria yet (I thought those pictures were yours ). In case you didn't know, there is no heatsink within the cut out area in the pic. When you open that slot, all you see is the bottom portion of the fan.

nosaturn,
In your silencing plan, you didn't mention anything about the two fan grills on the PSU. On mine, I cut out the case's mesh grill (belived it to be the most restrictive) and put wire grill on the outside of the case. In hind sight, I like the looks of the mesh better. Also, ditching the wire girl allows you to attach the fan to the PSU easier.

Linus

Post by Linus » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:54 am

Sheesh, all I was trying to imply was that we could be a little more supportive. No need to get so riled up, Shad0WeN.

nosaturn - For the 1394, you mean a motherboard pin header as opposed to the 6-pin female receptacle, right? If so, this might be what you're looking for.

nosaturn

Post by nosaturn » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:56 am

When I get a new PSU fan, I'll be taking apart the PSU and taking some pics. I'll have to borrow a dremel or snips from some friends in order to do any cutting. I know I don't have pics here right now but that is because there is really nothing special to see.... yet ;)

Linus, thanks for that link. I think I like that one and having a few more USB ports never hurt. Especially since I plan on getting the new Microsoft Bluetooth Elite Desktop and would love the Bluetooth dongle to be inside the PC (harder to loose that way ;)

Rory B.

Post by Rory B. » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:24 am

be real careful working in your PSU. Big capacitors. As long as you stay away from the circuitry until the capacitors discharge (24 hours, to make sure) you should be fine.