Fitting extra drives in the SS LC04?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ED

Fitting extra drives in the SS LC04?

Post by ED » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:59 am

Hello all,

Is it possible to hack the SS LC04 to fit extra 3 1/2 inch hard drives? As 1 isn't enough :)

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Cheers - Piers

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:49 am

Hi ED/Piers!?

I just got an LC04, you could probably fit in another 3.5" drive next to the original hard drive position if you have a half-height vga card and a miro-atx motherboard. You'd have to do a bit of drilling and sticking to fit it properly. There is also just about room to fit one in the gap next to the psu and cpu (depending on where your cpu sits on the motherboard). I wouldn't recommend trying this as space is really tight and I can't see an easy way of supporting the disk.

I think a better option would be two 2.5" drives because you could not only fit them in, they also could be decoupled easily and so eliminating the largest noise source in this case. A spinpoint is easily the loudest thing in my system as it's not properly decoupled (yet)!

ED

Post by ED » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:48 am

Laptop hard drives aren't as desireable as they're a bit small (biggest I could find was 100Gb). I'm going for an mini-itx motherboard anyway so there should be a bit of room. Bit worried about fitting more than one hard drive though. Thanks for your answer though :)

Cheers - Piers

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:29 pm

If you are going the mini-itx route then there is room to fit four 3.5" hard disks in the LC04 (two vertical and 2 horizontal) - I just checked with a tape measure. So 2 disks will be no problem. Infact you could have both drives mounted horizontally decoupled on some foam (or something like that) making things nice and quiet.
Come to think of it, with a centrino mini itx board this could be a very nice quiet system...
...need more money :)

ED

Post by ED » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:45 pm

4 hard drives... but how to mount them that's the question... ;)

I could put the hard drive in some SilentDrive enclosure, put foam under it and duct tape it in the case I suppose :)

Thanks for your help again

Cheers - Piers