new 3700bqe grills cut but extra leds?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Noizz

new 3700bqe grills cut but extra leds?

Post by Noizz » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:15 am

hmmm i just bought a 3700bqe and cut the grills out lol. but i duno wat to do with the 2 extra leds. where do i plug em in??? i have 2 hds on my computer, 160 samsun spinpoint and 120 wd, both sata. i want to put at least one of the leds on the other drive if possible?

anybody else think it was a good or bad idea cutting the grill off my bqe? it seemed like it really didn't matter b/c the grills had very good airflow. the rear grill seems to be more efficient tha tthe front one. the grill thickness is a bit larger on the front grill.

anyways, i cut a great big square in the front grill (formed from each of the 4 mounting holes for the 120mm fan). its huge, anythink its a good improvement so far?

as for the rear grill, cut out grill in a circle and slapped a nexus and wiregrill on it. should i lose the wire grill?but it offers protection. :?

well im my opinion it didn't have to be done, but the bqe rear grill sure does look ugly :lol: and the front grill isn't anybetter.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: new 3700bqe grills cut but extra leds?

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:54 am

Noizz wrote:hmmm i just bought a 3700bqe and cut the grills out lol. but i duno wat to do with the 2 extra leds. where do i plug em in??? i have 2 hds on my computer, 160 samsun spinpoint and 120 wd, both sata. i want to put at least one of the leds on the other drive if possible?
I think the only way that you can "hook it up to the other drive" is to hardwire it directly into the correct wire on the second drive's IDE cable itself.
Noizz wrote:anybody else think it was a good or bad idea cutting the grill off my bqe? it seemed like it really didn't matter b/c the grills had very good airflow. the rear grill seems to be more efficient than the front one. the grill thickness is a bit larger on the front grill.

anyways, i cut a great big square in the front grill (formed from each of the 4 mounting holes for the 120mm fan). its huge, anythink its a good improvement so far?

as for the rear grill, cut out grill in a circle and slapped a nexus and wiregrill on it. should i lose the wire grill?but it offers protection. :?

well im my opinion it didn't have to be done, but the bqe rear grill sure does look ugly :lol: and the front grill isn't anybetter.
I think it's a good idea to cut the grills. It can only help, even with fairly non-restrictive grills like those on the BQE.

If you don't have kids/animals around, I'd suggest running w/o the rear fan grill at all. MikeC has numbers that suggest even a simple wire grill reduces the airflow measurably.

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:07 pm

thx ralf :) hmmmm my hds are SATA i duno where i plug em :?:

i'll consider taking the grill off but i like how the wire grill looks lol :P

well i was just rethinking about my cuts to my case, cas the back is perfect, but the front cut i did, was a giant square from each of the mounting holes. however i do not rely on front intakes, cas for me it doens't do anything, and raises ur noise.

running super T 400w, nexus 120, NV5, allexhasting air. i think if i put a front 120, it wouldn't be help or even decrease my airflow cas it can't push as much air into my case that is needed by the 3 exhasut fans.

i'ld like to hear ur opinion :D thx

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:51 am

Noizz wrote:
running super T 400w, nexus 120, NV5, allexhasting air. i think if i put a front 120, it wouldn't be help or even decrease my airflow cas it can't push as much air into my case that is needed by the 3 exhasut fans.

i'ld like to hear ur opinion :D thx
Front fan probably wouldn't help your overall airflow but may possibly keep your drives a bit cooler. Try it and see, it's easy to do.

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:56 pm

lol i can't i cut off the mounting hoels too, its a huge square lol
but i don't think i'ld need to b/c drive temps are 35 for wd and 33 for samsung.
plus adding another fan would make my computer louder wouldn't it?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:44 am

Noizz wrote: plus adding another fan would make my computer louder wouldn't it?
Righty-o, unless it was a very quiet fan.