Silverstone LC10 & LC11 Home Theater PC cases review wan

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mindwalker

Silverstone LC10 & LC11 Home Theater PC cases review wan

Post by mindwalker » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:38 pm

I'd like to see a review of the Silverstone LaScala LC10 & LC11 cases
here at SPCR. I've only seen one review of the LC10 at Anandtech and
none of the LC11. The Anandtech review stated the the LC10 was very
noisy but I'd rather see a review from a site that I trust more as
regards the subject of noise like SPCR. SPCR reviews also tend to
provide possible solutions to problems instead of just noting them as
other sites do.

Strand

Post by Strand » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:30 am

Game PC has posted a review of the LC-11. Seems to be a very nice case!

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content ... 11s&page=1

dis

Post by dis » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:11 pm

I've got one an LC11 now and until i can get a mini-review done i thought i'd post some comments here.

Now i can't speak for everyone with an interest in buying a HTPC case but i'll assume i'm not the only one who vitually wanted 'the moon on a stick' ie lots of PCI slots, adequate cooling potential and a something smaller than a desktop tower slamed on its side with a nice faceplate.

The LC11 looks like a good option, its got a clean design and the size is definately in 'under the TV' territory, although it is deeper than i'd prefer. Since it poped up yesterday for sale and in stock in the UK i picked it up, after much debate on the sliver vs possibly horrible fake wood issue (the wood won). My main hope being that an ATX board would squeeze in.
GamePC->
While the case appears as if it should fit full-sized ATX motherboards from the outside, you can see that the integrated power supply unit of the case gets in the way and puts a stop to that.
Now A) i hadn't seen that review and B) they're wrong anyway ;-)

You can see from the installation instructions on SilverStonesTek's site that the PSU isn't the problem(theres a good 1" to spare), instead its the optical drive. Basically some rough tape measure / pen mark calculations show a 3x1" strip thats overlaped by the optical drive i have here but it may not be a problem...

If your not using an optical drive your laughing, otherwise the drive has a standoff from the case roof of slightly less than 1/2 an inch. Depending on the motherboard used it should be possible to fit it in, the limiting factor being mobo 'bits' which require headroom, floppy drive connectors and their ilk. A quick look rules out A-bit or Gigabyte 939 boards but both Asus and MSI look promising.

The PCI-E issue
GamePC->
Unfortunately, there are no options from Silverstone for PCI Express riser cards
They've hit it on the head this time. My e-mails to Silverstone was answered with a 'we have no plans at this time' type reply, though a google turned up no riser cards at all. I'd bet once they become readily available Silverstone may either supply them or direct you to a stockist.

I'm highly optomistic about the ATX issue, mainly as i'll dremel an optical drive till its fits, regardless. As for improvements i'd like to see either the 3 1/2 bay under the optical drive removed and the optical moved away for the motherboard making the ATX issue a lot easier. OR remove the other 3 1/2 bays and shorten the case by nearly 4 inches.

Once i'm back from my festive holidays i'll expand on the above, no doubt cooling is going to be a big issue.

EDIT:
Theres another limiting factor on ATX boards, the AGP slot on a full ATX board isn't required to and often doesn't use the first expansion slot in an ATX case. If its uses the second it'll cause problems, even though it *could* fit both PCI slots will be lost :-(