NICE noise dampening material w/ little/no thermal "hol

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

boardsportsrule

NICE noise dampening material w/ little/no thermal "hol

Post by boardsportsrule » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:12 am

ok, im looking for some noise dampening material for my antec 3700....any ways, a couple things on it, i dont want it to look ghetto, or even ugly, it should look NICE( modding the case too, window on top & side, with LED's so it will be brightish and exposed) and i am going for top notch cooling too so i dont want it to retain heat much, if at all...is there anything that will fit this without breakin the bank much? thanks!

Numbers

Post by Numbers » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:50 pm

So you want a super large compact car that costs $1000 and looks like a Bentley? =)

I'd go with plain old dynamat-like material. It'll just be a plain black sheet, and it'll look as good as you can cut it. But ALL absorbsion materials convert the vibrations/sound to heat. It's how energy works.

boardsportsrule

Post by boardsportsrule » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:14 pm

ok, never mind,after thinking about it, i cannot have the best of both worlds...thanks for knockin some sense into me

Numbers

Post by Numbers » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:31 pm

I'm just glad you realised I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it. Going with a dynamat type sheet will give you a flat look, and you can get all black if you cut in the right areas.

BUT, usually, dampening and LOOKING nice don't go hand in hand. The temp differences wont be too different though.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:42 pm

I have a little question, would spray painting the whatever dampening material work?? or will it release some sort of toxins?? I have no experience whatsoever in this area.

Numbers

Post by Numbers » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:19 pm

Well, it's flexible, so I'm not sure it would stick much. You'd have to do it while it's already applied too, as you have to mold the sheets to your case, and you can't do that AFTER you paint.

But like I said... If you get enough and cut around the print or find a brand that doesn't USE print, your case will look black inside anyways.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:34 pm

I was looking for silver..... or even UV reactive.

Numbers

Post by Numbers » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:42 pm

Ummm... UV I'll say no. You can use dynamat Xtreme, Raammat, or the like and it has an aluminum backing. Just use fine sandpaper to get the logos off. Again, you have to mold the stuff, so I DOUBT you'll be able to get it looking straight.

Edit: OH! For UV reactive, you can always use the aluminum backed stuff and spray it with UV spray. xoxide.com usually carries it.

EvoFire

Post by EvoFire » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:44 am

Yeah, Iw as thinking of the UV spray stuff... I was thinking of sanding my PSU down and spray it with UV too, then the whole case would start glowing inside.

fetish for glowing computers....

greeef

Post by greeef » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:15 am

I never got round to makiing it, but if you know someone who does a little upholstery in their spare time, you could make wood framed cushions..

griff