Removing imbeded fan grill

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

NigthStalker

Removing imbeded fan grill

Post by NigthStalker » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:03 pm

Ok you all have the places on your pcs where you put your fan and at that place there is usally a roundish area full of wholes , and sometimes they can cause humming and other sound , and most of the ppl remove them , but before cutting it out , they remove the moto and all , but see , i'm looking for a way to cut this out w/o removing the moto cuz it was a pain in the a$$ to put it there and i would prefer jumping out the window over removing the moto , so what should i do ? i'dd like to remove the front one witch is about 20 cm away from the moto ( horrible humming noise ! eEven on lower voltage , it's not the fan , cuz i removed it and it doesn't op the humming when it's screwed at an other place ( rear exhaust )

So plz help me and im sure you'dd be help other ppl too

Thanks and sorry for the spelling errors.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:19 pm

Use tin snips. (read the stickies in the case forum)

Or just take the mobo out. You're taking the risk or destroying hundreds of dollars worth of hardware because you don't want to waste 15 minutes pulling the parts of out the case. That doesn't seem like a real smart way to go about it.

And I moved this to the case forum. :lol:

NigthStalker

Post by NigthStalker » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:46 pm

I would remove the moto if i only needed to remove the card and unscrew it , but the problem is that i had some short circuit issues ( RIP old moto ) when i screwed the moto in whit nothing between the moto the screws and the "feet" , so i put duck tape at each whole where i screw it , over and under ( that was suggested by my dad who owned a pc shop ) so im worried that if i remove it , the duck tape will go off , and it took me 30 min per each side and it's really a pain in the ass cutting the square pieces of tape , so if you have an idea for puting it back whit total insulation between the moto and the case , plz tell me

Thanks for moving the post

Thanks for reading and sorry for the spelling errors

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:26 am

I've cut these holes twice without taking out the MB. But as Rusty said, and I fully agreed, this is not a wise way to do it. So take the precautions and do it very very carefully.

1. I use old newspaper and paper tape to cover the mobo. In fact I covered almost everything except the place I want to cut. If you've seen how the car paint shop prepare your car before painting - that's how it is.

2. I put the left side case on the table while cutting. The thinking is that this position will make the mobo higher than the hole I'm cutting so gravity should help me a bit to ensure that those little nasty pieces of steel wouldn't fall onto my mobo side of case. Mind you, this is a very awkward position to cut the case.

3. After all is done, clean the mobo with air (canned air is best as it give a strong pressure). Once done, do it again.

So that's all it is. Again, be very careful.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:06 am

If you're going to choose to cut it with your equipment still in your case, just use tin snips, and be sure not to use a dremel beause that will spray tiny pieces of metal all over the place, and with tin snips usually only "big" chunks will fall into your case, and those are easy to spot and blow out with compressed air. Good luck!

NigthStalker

Post by NigthStalker » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:39 pm

Thanks ppl for the advice , won't try it now , i've been discouraged of doing it lol
Ill get my new CPU and HS and see if it's still as hot.

Thnks again For your Help ppl.