AL Case Resonation

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

EdT

AL Case Resonation

Post by EdT » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:38 am

I have a KingWin KT-424-S AL case and I notice that after several hours with a fanless PSU the case gets a bit warm and starts to resonate badly with the vibration from the HDD especially from the side panel top latching area, the vibration goes away if I pressure point with my finger on the top of the panel. Anyone expreince this and what is the best possible way to rid it, I don't think using dampening material on the case would help much. I'am thinking of enclosing my HDD is all else fails.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:41 pm

Try suspending your hard drives.
Don’t do anything elaborate to start, just see if that helps.
Also the door might be rattling, I fixed this once by putting adhesive doughnut shaped pieces of silicone on a few contact points inside the door and the rattling stopped.
Good luck with that.

mikellpp

Post by mikellpp » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:13 pm

I have the same case and solved most of the resonace problem by putting some stiff metal braces on the back side of the m/b tray. I used a very stiff steel bracket right behind the cpu area and some aluminum channel across the bottom half.

I also moved my scsi hard drive outside the case into a small external case. I found a 20 ft scsi cable on ebay and this lets me put the hard drive case in the adjacent room.