ThermalTake, Lian-Li, Coolermaster... Some Advice Please!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Which of these cases is the best overall (quality, ease of use, expansion, etc.)?

Thermaltake TSUNAMI VA3000
19%
Thermaltake SOPRANO VB1000BWA
No votes
Thermaltake S-VIKING VA4000BWS
No votes
Coolermaster PRAETORIAN
No votes
Coolermaster WAVE MASTER
19%
Coolermaster STACKER
56%
Lian-Li PC-6070
6%
Lian-Li PC-60H1P
No votes
Lian-Li PC65U
No votes

Total votes: 16

ShockWave

ThermalTake, Lian-Li, Coolermaster... Some Advice Please!

Post by ShockWave » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:43 pm

I'm in the market for two new cases, both of which I need to have ordered very soon. I seriously need help pruning my list of candidates to help me make a decision.

The first case is already taken care of: after reading through the posts on this forum I have an Antec SLK3000B on the way (replacing a Turbo Case X-Pider II) which will house a quiet machine. I'll be sure to post my impressions of it when it arrives as it will be my first purpose built quiet system case.

I'd also like to get something to upgrade from my excellent black Chenming 601AE that focuses less on silence. Here are the requirements for this case:

1.) It must be extremely well made and reek of quality.

2.) It must be easy to work in and have loads of expansion room.

3.) It must have excellent stock cooling potential without being excessively noisy.

4.) It must be rugged enough to provide years of service. Lots of plastic components are out, as are easily scratched pain jobs, flimsy doors and other possible points of failure.

5.) It must be a major improvement over the Chenming 601AE - otherwise there's no point in upgrading.

Here's my list of eligible candidates:

Thermaltake TSUNAMI VA3000 ALUMINUM CASE 4X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT NO PS BLACK MIRRORED W/ WINDOW

Thermaltake SOPRANO VB1000BWA MIDTOWER BLACK ATX CASE 3 CASE FANS 4X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT NO PS WITH WINDOW

Thermaltake S-VIKING VA4000BWS CASE 4X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT BLACK NO P/S W/ WINDOW & TEMP. DISPLAY

Coolermaster PRAETORIAN ATX 18IN ALUMINUM TOWER CASE 4X5.25 2X3.5 2X3.5IN BLACK

Coolermaster TAC-T01 WAVE MASTER BLACK ALUMINUM 21IN CASE ATX 4X5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5INT NO P/S

Coolermaster STACKER BLACK ATX 21IN TOWER CASE 7X5.25 1X3.5 3X3.5INT NO PS

Lian-Li PC-6070 18IN LOW NOISE CASE 4X5.25 3X3.5 5X3.5INT W/O PS BLACK

Lian-Li PC-60H1P BLACK CASE 4X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5 INT NO PS W/ WINDOW

Lian-Li PC65U 18IN BLACK CASE USB 4X5.25 3X3.5 5X3.5INT W/ SIDE WINDOW

From what I've read I'm thinking Thermaltake isn't in the same league of quality as Coolermaster and Lian-Li. If that's the case it'll help me carve out three contenders.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

- ShockWave

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:34 pm

Any reason why silverstone isnt on the list and thermaltake is if its supposed to reek of quality? Voted for the stacker as well.

ShockWave

Post by ShockWave » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:41 pm

tay > Any case omissions from my pick list aren't meant to be a commentary against other manufacturers. My choices were based on my personal asthetic tastes, black case colour and availability here.

Am I right in saying that most Thermaltake cases are basically cheapened knock-offs of designs by other companies (Coolermaster in particular)?

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:05 pm

To narrow down your search some more,

Aluminum = bad for resonance
Windows = prone to rattling

I suggest looking through SPCR's Case Basics and recommended list if you haven't already. Granted, many of your considerations aren't on our list (we haven't reviewed them), but it's an excellent place to start. I second that vote for the Silverstone Temjin TJ06, this is a well liked case.

ShockWave

Post by ShockWave » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:25 pm

Devonavar > I've not only looked at your recommended case list, I've also read every review linked in it. That list is what lead me to choose the Antec SLK3000B as the case for my secondary system.

My secondary system will have two optical drives and one hard disk drive. While I might add a second hard disk drive to it later, I'll still be keeping the drive count low. The system will be running a mobile processor (Socket A Athlon XP 2500+) running at a low voltage to enable me to run the processor cooling fan at a low speed.

My primary system is a monster that won't lend itself to being silenced.
It will have five hard disk drives and three optical drives, and will be running a desktop processor (Socket 939 Athlon64 3200+) overclocked like hell. That's why I'm not too concerned about noise in this system since I'll be relying on air cooling.

The Silverstone SST-TJ06 does look like a great case - I just didn't like the look of it in silver. The black version looks far better in my opinion, and I've just added it to my pick list as a result.

If you wouldn't mind voting in the poll for a second choice that's in my pick list I'd appreciate your further input.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:45 pm

I'm afraid I'm not really qualified to vote ... I've never personally looked at any of your choices. I'm not that familiar with the high end case market ... all I've seen is what comes through our lab. As I said though, I'd immediately discount the aluminum cases. The resonance is very difficult to deal with. This is especially an issue with multiple drives, which imo are the most difficult component to silence.

Blooz

Post by Blooz » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:31 am

With the number of drives you are looking to install, my vote definitely goes to the Stacker!

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:38 am

My first vote would also go to Silverstone TJ06 if it were on the list.

Otherwise I'd go with a Stacker. If you're going to spend that much on a case, it would be wise to have one that can be made to work in a number of configurations and the stacker looks like it could do just about anything that doesn't require "small" :)

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:21 am

My vote, amongst the ones on the list would be the stacker. The stacker would be nice because you could suspend all your HDD's in the 5.25" bays.

I'd cross off every Thermaltake product on the list. If you like the looks of any of them, buy the product that they stole the design from, rather than their knockoff. (Tsunami= CM Wavemaster, Soprano=Antec Sonata, etc, etc)

If I were going to have to buy a Lian li, I'd look at one of their V series, rather the ones you've got on your list. The V's have much thicker side panels, which helps reduce the notorious "aluminum hum" that more typical flimsy Lian li panels amplify. With 5 drives vibrating away, those cases will sound like a tuning fork. :lol:

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:51 am

what about the vm7000bwa Shark by thermaltake.
It has 1mm side al.
Tall case.
But do you think the side panel open honeycomb mesh would
let out just too much noise. Do you think it would let out significantly
more noise than the antec slk-3000b.

What do you think abou the antec slk1650? It has thinner stell than the 3000b but is smaller. It has mesh below down where the pci cards are and the round port tunnel above the processor. It is smaller than the 3000b which is what I want

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Oliver wrote:what about the vm7000bwa Shark by thermaltake.
It has 1mm side al.
Tall case.
But do you think the side panel open honeycomb mesh would
let out just too much noise.
Yes
Oliver wrote:Do you think it would let out significantly
more noise than the antec slk-3000b.
Of course it would.
Oliver wrote:What do you think abou the antec slk1650? It has thinner stell than the 3000b but is smaller.
You could find info on both of these cases by using the "search" function here at SPCR. Not only does the search work great, but both of these cases have been discussed before.