Slightly different Case Design

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:16 pm

I couldn't sleep last night so I worked some more on it. I'm going to draw out how much space a Ninja would take up as that's probably the biggest HS I'd ever put in it. Otherwise I need to figure out how the front and hard drives are going to work.
Last edited by BillyBuerger on Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:44 pm

Very nice idea. Have you played with the thought of using a slim-line CD/DVD drive. This could be mounted vertically and would further decrease the height of the case, though this would also mean less space to fiddle with the CPU cooler.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:55 pm

With a slim CD/DVD drive, even horizontal would leave plenty of room to not interfere with the HS. But the price premium isn't worth it to me. I'm okay with the couple inches of extra height to fit the CD drive above the motherboard. I plan on having a second... if not third 5.25" drive bay in there. Although if you put a CD drive in one of those, you would probably be getting in the way of a large HS. We'll see if I add some more depth to make room or leave it. I don't plan on using more than one CD drive myself. And I've dropped my SB Live! drive since I first started drawing up this idea. So really, a single 5.25" drive bay would be enough.

Oh, I just ordered a Mini-P180 for $80 shipped from Newegg the other day. So I don't know if I would even use this thing if I ever build it. But it's still fun to play with.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:43 am

Oh, looks like NZXT went and actually built a case using a similar layout... NZXT Panzerbox

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:20 am

BillyBuerger wrote:Oh, looks like NZXT went and actually built a case using a similar layout... NZXT Panzerbox
Yeah, but implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Your wood box would be far better, imo. ;)

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:22 pm

I never did get around to linking my Enlight case mod here: Single fan madness pt 5

I no longer use that Enlight case for a server. Now, I use it for my RAMboot workstation...I never got around to making a gallery entry, but I should.

Essentially, the PSU has a single 80mm fan blowing inward. I got rid of the ugly cardstock partitions--unnecessary. I installed the PCI slot backplanes, so the only air openings are the removed ATX backplane, the original PSU mount, and the PSU fan.

So air is sucked inward from the bottom rear, via the PSU fan. It exhausts out the upper rear via the removed ATX backplane and the original PSU mount.

If you look at the rear view, you'll notice that the CPU heatsink is way too tall to fit if the PSU were placed in the original location.

Anyway, I've also acquired a second Enlight case of that model, which I also modified. The two are essentially twins--same mobo, processor, modifications...only with different Ati Radeon video cards. Someday I'll post pictures to the gallery...