The Case Hunt, Continued...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ShockWave

The Case Hunt, Continued...

Post by ShockWave » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:43 pm

Thanks to your excellent comments in this thread and a lot of additional research on my part I've narrowed my case choices down considerably.

Here is the revised list of case choices I'm mulling over, along with my current thoughts on each:

Lian-Li PC-65USB (Dropped Due To Comparably Poor Cooling)
A great looking case packed with features I'll use, and at a great price, too. Four 80 mm fans provide cooling which may not be able to match many of the other cases I'm considering. While I do like the larger PC-75, the lack of a removable motherboard tray and blowhole eliminate it from consideration.

Lian-Li PC-V1000
I love everything about this case except the lack of a removable motherboard tray and reset button. The optional windowed side panel available for this model is a plus.

Lian-Li PC-V1200
The PC-V1200 loses the window option, but offers EATX support and a roomier power supply enclosure. For only a few dollars more I could get the PC-V2000, though I'm not sure how the tower version will affect the overall asthetic, and I'm also not so sure I need/want such a large case.

Coolermaster CM Stacker (Dropped Due To Poor Asthetics)
This case requires substantial investment (over the already high base price) to add the optional components (crossflow cooler, extra fan bays) required to get the most from the design. I find the branding on the top of the bezel mars the otherwise clean appearance, and I'm not a fan of the huge round vent on the door, either.

Coolermaster WaveMaster (Dropped Due To Comparably Poor Cooling)
A beautiful case with cooling and expansion potential that seems below the other cases I'm considering.

SilverStone SST-TJ06 (Dropped Due To Motherboard Compatibility Problems)
I'm not yet sold on the plastic duct idea (it's really ugly, too). The hard drives have lots of room around them, but lack direct air from a fan blowing on them to keep them cool.

SilverStone SST-TJ03 (Dropped Due To Comparably High Price)
A beautiful case, but it seems very overpriced compared with the excellent (and far less expensive) Lian-Li options.

I'm currently leaning heavily toward the Lian-Li cases, and would have already purchased a PC-V1000 were it not for the space and motherboard tray concerns. The PC-V1200 adds room, but for a lot more money (and with no case window option in sight). The PC-V2000 just seems like overkill if I'll never use the space, and I'm thinking a 20% price premium for unused space is a little steep.

Again, any further information you can provide - especially on the Lian-Li cases - to make my decision easier is greatly appreciated. Feel free to argue what I've written, too.

Thanks in advance!

- ShockWave
Last edited by ShockWave on Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frankgehry

lian li

Post by frankgehry » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:10 am

S,

I'm sure you've read that aluminum cases vibrate a lot more and are inherently noisier than steel cases. The task of making them quiet is a lot more work. However, there are people with lian-li's and I suggest you do a search in the case forum for lian-li pc v1000.

I would get the lian-li pc v1000 because it is about the right size (you would have to determine that for yourself) and it is organized differently from most pc's which would make it a lot more fun to work on. That would be my choice and I would just assume that it could made quiet with some extra work. - FG

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:13 am

The Silverstone TJ06 might indirectly cool your hard drives with a 120mm Fanned PSU.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:34 am

I just read the other thread you linked and I noticed a few things. First of, you state you want a rugged case. As a semi-frequent LAN party visitor I can tell you that the LL cases scratch pretty easily, so be prepared to wrap it up every time you want to move it somewhere... that or ignore possible scratches (which I find impossible to do). My previous LL had a few scratches on it and that never stopped bugging me.

If you are really going to mount 5 hard drives in there, I'd reconsider the V2000... I know the V1x00 series can hold 6 but I think that will end up being one toasty hard disk compartment. Also, my V1000 already hums with just 2 Maxtor DM9s in there (semi-hard mounted) so for that amount of drives, the alu hum will get to you, even with the thicker side panels. Why would you want the larger PSU compartment of the V1200? Do you intend getting a modular or non-standard sized PSU? Also, the lack of a removable mobo tray may be less of a problem than you think: the case is pretty roomy (even the V1000) so installation is pretty simple anyway. And a reset-button is pretty easy to rig up (although I fail to understand why LL did not include one).

Regarding the PC-65: the blowhole does not add a lot IMO (my previous LL 6089A had one as well, I stopped using it after 3 months) and it only allows for 80mm fans which in general will make more noise for the same amount of airflow when compared with 120mm fans. In general, the PC-65 design has been surpassed IMHO.

Although I've never seen or handled the Stacker or TJ06, they look like strong contenders, at least from a silencing perspective. As to looks: that's a personal matter. For the TJ06, you could always add a fan below the PSU as someone in the gallery has already done. Remember that there are also Silverstone clones out there with the same interior but different looks and a different pricetag (like the Sharkoon Silvation).

To cut a long story short: for silence with 5 hard drives, I'd forget the PC-V1000, I'd consider the V2000 but with a heavily modded drive cage. Otherwise, my vote would be on the TJ06 or the Stacker.

OT: funny to see that you only considered an Antec 3000B a viable option for a secondary rig (I just bought one for that specific purpose).

Gholam

Post by Gholam » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:31 am

I just bought a CM Stacker, and I'm in love with it. Forget about the crossflow fan - the case is well enough ventilated three times over without it, it'll just add noise. The thing on top seems to be attached by screws (in general, CM Stacker seems to use screws in a lot of places where other cases have rivets) so I think it can be taken off, although I haven't tried it yet. The side vent panel can be replaced by an optional window side panel. Extra 4-in-3 modules aren't really necessary either - the case already has excellent ventilation, and if you need more than 4 hard drives, you can easily suspend them in 5.25" bays on your own. I'm also considering buiding a sound-absorbing enclosure for the hard drives that will sit at the floor of the case and draw air through the hole there.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Re: The Case Hunt, Continued...

Post by tay » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:17 am

ShockWave wrote:Thanks to your excellent comments in this thread and a lot of additional research on my part I've narrowed my case choices down considerably.

Here is the revised list of case choices I'm mulling over, along with my current thoughts on each:
Not to be a jackass, but youre kidding right? Noone reccomended the Lian-Li in the previous thread since they are not to good for silencing. If you simply want a moderately quiet case just buy whatever you want and run quieter components.

ShockWave

Post by ShockWave » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:37 am

frankgehry > I've personally never had a problem with aluminum cases vibrating as I've solved all vibration issues easily through a few quick modifications. I'm also thinking I agree with you about the size of the PC-V1000 being just right, especially if I migrate to external water cooling.

sthayashi > I definetely want direct cooling to ensure the maximum reliability of my hard disk drives. My choice of power supply will likely be the Antec NeoPower 480.

teejay > Excellent reply - thank you for writing it. The main reasons I've been considering the Lian-Li cases are because I'd like to treat myself to a system that looks clean yet impressive and powerful. I don't plan on moving it without taking GREAT care with it.

The PC-65USB offers a (relatively) lower price, removable motherboard tray and a case window (which I like). Too bad about the blowhole not doing much for the cooling, because if the cooling isn't any better than my current Chenming 601AE there's no point in going with it. The PC-V series now comes with optional windows, and considering the built quality of the newer cases is supposed to be much improved I think I'll drop the PC-65USB.

The PC-V2000 sure is tempting, but I just don't know if I want a case that big. If I stick to 4 hard disk drives I should be able to leave a decent gap for air to circulate in between them. I'm in the market for a Koolance EXOS system soon anyway which should make heat and noise problems largely irrelevant. Any leads you've got on a matching reset button would be appreciated!

The Antec SLK3000B will be my secondary air cooled system case. I don't have enough money to water cool my primary system let, let alone both of them (and let's not even get into the price of phase change systems... yikes).

Gholam > Please do let me know if that ugly branded plastic piece can be removed, as that would go a very long way toward restoring my interest in the case. With the appearance improved, the Stacker would be at the top of the list should I decide to use air cooling.

tay > ...

Thanks again for the all the input!

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:59 am

I hear you on the case size, moved my server PC from a full tower to a mid one a year ago and never looked back. With 4 drives you'll be able to rig up some sort of drive suspension in the V1000 if you find the alu hum getting to you... at least I can rest easy knowing that I warned you about that :lol:

The V1000 looks great, you won't be dissappointed in that department, I'm sure. I saw that window panel a while ago for something like 50 euros... I'm still working up to that: problem is that my rigs have the right side to the wall so there is no real benefit... but it would look sweet with a few red CCFLs in there :) BTW, don't forget to cut out the rear fan guard/grill, it makes a ton of noise, more even than the stamped openings on my LL6089 I had before... and that's saying something. Check out the various V1000 entries in the gallery section if you haven't already.

Our similar feelings on the SLK3000B amused me... it's functional but it won't evoke... emotions? Something like that. Perhaps I'll change my standpoint when it arrives, who knows.

joshd2012

Post by joshd2012 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:59 am

I own a TJ-06 and will be doing some modifications to remedy the problems you have already mentioned. Today I will be customizing an aluminum shield to replace the plastic wind tunnel (not a solution if you are running a window. And I will be tackling a custom hard drive relocation once I get the parts Monday and can stop by Home Depot for the rest.

The only thing I don't like about this case, is that my Seasonic S12 power cable is going to be drawn tight (need about 3" more) and the drive mounts are pretty cheap. Besides that, a great case. I'm doing a ton of mods to it (cut the grills out yesterday), so look for some details soon.

ShockWave

Post by ShockWave » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:09 am

Well, I'm happy to say I've finally made a choice on which case to buy.

Let's review the other contenders, and why they each in turn weren't selected:

Coolermaster CM Stacker
This is a very well designed case (if a big too large in size for my needs), though it requires substantial investment (an additional 50% of the base price) to add the optional components I would need to get the most from the design. I find the branding on the top of the bezel and both side door choices ruin the otherwise great appearance of it. Were the CM Stacker II available for sale I would probably have bought it if the appearance is consistent with what I've seen so far.

Coolermaster WaveMaster
I do love the appearance of this case (with the exception of the big Coolermaster logo on the front), but it just doesn't offer much improvement in cooling and features over the Chenming 601AE. The new WaveMaster II seems like it would be a far better contender.

Antec P180
This case has tremendous potential for silence, but I can't escape the fact that it uses tremendous amounts of ugly cheap looking plastic everywhere. The overall appearance is rather plain, and the multiple layers in the panels will make modifications more difficult. A definite function over form design in my opinion. The P160 is another antec case I personally just can't stand the looks of, but the SLK3000B sitting here in front of me is a class act all the way.

SilverStone SST-TJ06
I'm still not sold on the (ugly) plastic duct idea, and as it turned it the duct not fitting the new DFI nF4 motherboards is what ended up making me pass on this case. The inside of the case isn't very attractive, either, and hard drives should not lack direct air from a fan blowing on them in a case this size.

SilverStone SST-TJ03 (Dropped Due To Comparably High Price)
I love the clean look and features of this case, but it's priced even higher than Lian-Li full tower models. I don't see how they can justify the cost.

Lian-Li PC-65USB
A great looking, classic case design which I'd still love to take a look at (I've yet to see any Lian-Li case in person). Every Lian-Li owner I've come across seem to agree that these excellent cases have been greatly surpassed by the newer PC-V series in most aspects, and I'm inclined to agree with them.

Lian-Li PC-V1200
With no side window option and a much higher price than the PC-V1000, I would never use the EATX support this case offers. The roomier power supply enclosure would be nice, but I'm confident the Antec NeoPower 480 will fit (if snugly) without a problem. I could get the PC-V2000, but the added cost for extra space I wouldn't use seems like a waste. I'm also not so sure I need/want such a large case to lug around, even with all of the hardware I plan to cram into it.

It's been a painful process, but I've finally been able to pick one case among all of the great choices out there:

Lian-Li PC-V1000
A fantastic design, this case offers awesome cooling potential and loads of room for expansion in a nice, tight package. This case has a lot of the same features as the CM Stacker and SST-TJ03, but it implements them without adopting their drawbacks. The optional windowed side panel available for this model is a plus. This case sure isn't cheap, but it is among the finest crafted cases available.

I began looking for this case in black to match my optical drives, but the silver version has grew on me enough to order it (and matching drive covers).

Sold.

- ShockWave

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:21 pm

Welcome to the club! We're all friends down here... :lol:

I'd be a little surprised if the NeoPower actually fits, but you'll find out soon enough I suppose. Why not get a S12-430 by the way? More quiet... plus, it will certainly fit your case.

ShockWave

Post by ShockWave » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:06 am

teejay > Thanks! I'm not actually paying for this case, and since that sure doesn't happen very often I wanted to make sure I end up with a real classic that I love using and that makes me grin whenever I look at it. The Antec SLK3000B is in my price range - this beauty is nowhere near it.

The NeoPower 480 does fit - I made very sure of it before I decided on the case, and in fact the power supply fitment issue was the only reason I was considering the larger versions in the first place. Everything's been ordered and is on the way, so there's no turning back now!

(Oh, by the way, to everyone reading this thread with one of the cases I didn't pick please don't think I'm dumping on your case - I just like the PC-V1000 better.)