*ALL NEW!!*, *Innovative!* Thermaltake HTPC case!!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

*ALL NEW!!*, *Innovative!* Thermaltake HTPC case!!

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:40 am

The Tenor.

If this is a repost, I'll happily delete it.

There's a review here.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:36 am

I personally don't like the writing on it, but assuming that can be taken off, it looks pretty neat...

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:28 am

Interesting case. Biggest minus is if (according to the referenced review) a full ATX mobo really prevents a full-size CD from going in the fold-down bay spot.

Looks like a Nexus as the front fan, so why 2x60mm for the exhaust?

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:59 pm

GUNNER wrote:Interesting case. Biggest minus is if (according to the referenced review) a full ATX mobo really prevents a full-size CD from going in the fold-down bay spot.

Looks like a Nexus as the front fan, so why 2x60mm for the exhaust?
It's not a Nexus up front, Thermaltake just copied the orange color and made their own fan. The orange Thermaltake fans sound nowhere near as good as the orange Nexus 120mm, or any other Nexus for that matter.

Guys, any time Ralf puts the words "Thermaltake" and "innovative" together in a sentence, he's probably being sarcastic. :D

FYI, The company is known around here for making stuff that's similar to what the competition has already produced. Not copycat products, but sometimes they are obviously "inspired". Decent quality and decent prices, high availability, and highly inflated noise specs (their stuff is never as quiet as advertised). At least, that's my impression of Thermaltake.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:12 pm

Coming soon in Q3 is the 'Baritone' HTPC with integral speakers & subwoofer.

...now if only I could be so sure it would never happen :(

Webfire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Webfire » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:29 pm

It's not a Nexus up front, Thermaltake just copied the orange color and made their own fan. The orange Thermaltake fans sound nowhere near as good as the orange Nexus 120mm, or any other Nexus for that matter.
Well it can't be the Nexus because it's a 80mm intake fan. And the Nexus 80mm is not orange.
But on the Big Typhoon Thermaltake uses the Nexus fan, well they use the orange Yate Loon D12SL-12. Not exactly the Nexus but almost.

Two 60mm exhaust fans are useless, you can't get them quiet, so I don't think it's a very good case unless you use your PSU as the only exhaust.

inky

Post by inky » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:40 pm

That case is very ugly. It maybe "quiet", but it would have no place in my living room. I think it would be better placed in my next door neighbor's garage, right next to his ricey car with all the wings and neon lights and stickers.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:04 pm

I know silverstone has a very similar case using 2 x 60 mms and a front 80mm. They're probably copying Silverstone, even the curving is similar.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:14 pm

For those that didnt bother with the review, 1 5.25 bay is lost when installing an ATX mobo, and 2!!! HD bays are lost when connecting the ATX connectors on some MOBOs. Nice work TT!!!

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:18 pm

Oh boy that thing is an aesthetic train wreck. Can someone please tell what is the point of spending time and money to construct a PC that's inaudible, so as not to call attention to itself, if every time you walk in the room it leaps out from under the telly and slaps you around the face with a couple of haddock (still frozen, naturally)???

Still, looking at the other non-HTPC cases on their website its maybe not suprising! Whatever happened to less-is-more? Whoever invented the blue LED should be shot. Repeatedly. With frozen haddock.

scotty6435

Post by scotty6435 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:08 pm

Innovative?

It's a full sized case basically, course it's gonna be quieter than, say a shuttle.... another classic from Thermaltake :P

mattek

Post by mattek » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:39 pm

Check out the rpm on the fans... 2000rpm and 2500rpm. And they are claiming 19dBA. Hmm. The name Tenor... hmm... makes me think of the Antec lifestyle line which features names like:
Aria
Sonata
Overture
Minuet

/mattek

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:07 pm

I don't know if you noticed before, but the Tenor's curve is the same charming as music as in the Soprano. ;)
mattek wrote:The name Tenor... hmm... makes me think of the Antec lifestyle line which features names like:
Aria
Sonata
Overture
Minuet
What are you implying?!!? TT would never do that :(

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:21 pm

This design is stupid, stupid, stupid, in far too many ways. Even beyond the numerous, severe issues already mentioned, just look at how that damn front door opens up. Oh for cryin' out loud...

KorruptioN

Post by KorruptioN » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:56 am

StarfishChris wrote:I don't know if you noticed before, but the Tenor's curve is the same charming as music as in the Soprano. ;)
LOL

I wonder how TT will price it. Judging from their previous cases, I'd say it'll be quite expensive.

IceWindius

Post by IceWindius » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:31 am

Looks great. For me to poop on!

LBadvance

Post by LBadvance » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:58 pm

FUGLY, if i were to build a HTPC with a HTPC case i would go for the silver stones. they look more elegant than this POS case.

Thermaltake just dont cut it for me.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:16 pm

Anything Thermaltake gets instantly bashed here... I think some people would have said it was a nice-looking case if they hadn't been biased by the brand.

I personally don't like cases like this at all, but it LOOKS as good to me as, say, a Silverstone case.... .which are highly overrated in terms of looks.

Functionally I'm sure it's not great, but come on people. Try to be a little more objective.

Straker

Post by Straker » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:34 pm

Mar. wrote:Functionally I'm sure it's not great, but come on people. Try to be a little more objective.
It looks like one of those ridiculous shiny white plastic designs with blocky/exaggerated curves that you always see in "IMAGINE WHAT TEH FUTURE HOUSEHOLDZOR WILL LOOK LIKE IN 30 YEARZ!@$" exhibits/demos. :)

And yeah, that drive door (and baby equalizer sub-door, how cute) is pretty silly.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:26 am

Mar. wrote:Anything Thermaltake gets instantly bashed here... I think some people would have said it was a nice-looking case if they hadn't been biased by the brand.

I personally don't like cases like this at all, but it LOOKS as good to me as, say, a Silverstone case.... .which are highly overrated in terms of looks.

Functionally I'm sure it's not great, but come on people. Try to be a little more objective.
I'm the same person who very much likes the Tsunami Dream for usage in my dual radiated water cooled system, so you can't call me biased by the brand.

alglove

Post by alglove » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:29 am

OK, OK. I think it looks better in black than it does in silver.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:36 pm

On the other hand, I've never had a ThermalTake product that was even halfway decent. The ONLY exception I would ever make is a heatsink I got from them, the TR2TT TR2M1. It's a simple aluminum fin/copper base Socket A heatsink, but what sets it apart are two things: its very low price (around 8 bucks on newegg), and its incredibly low build quality: The copper base is actually held on by SCREWS. It also came with an extremely cheesy clear LED fan that I cut the LED's off of, then later replaced. BUT, it cooled very well for its price, even with a slow fan on it.

Thermaltake steals ideas, and cuts corners on them. I have to admire their efficiency, they don't even need an R&D department, and they have lower build costs than competitors. But everything they make sucks, so it's a bit of give and take.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:07 am

:?: :?: :?: :?:

I really don't get this:

First there's this:
Mar. wrote:Anything Thermaltake gets instantly bashed here... I think some people would have said it was a nice-looking case if they hadn't been biased by the brand.

-and then, five posts later in the same thread there's this:
Mar. wrote:On the other hand, I've never had a ThermalTake product that was even halfway decent. The ONLY exception I would ever make is a heatsink I got from them, the TR2TT TR2M1. It's a simple aluminum fin/copper base Socket A heatsink, but what sets it apart are two things: its very low price (around 8 bucks on newegg), and its incredibly low build quality: The copper base is actually held on by SCREWS. It also came with an extremely cheesy clear LED fan that I cut the LED's off of, then later replaced. BUT, it cooled very well for its price, even with a slow fan on it.

Thermaltake steals ideas, and cuts corners on them. I have to admire their efficiency, they don't even need an R&D department, and they have lower build costs than competitors. But everything they make sucks, so it's a bit of give and take.
Each of these is supposedly posted by the same person. Is this what people mean when they talk about "trolling"?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:17 am

Ralf Hutter wrote::?: :?: :?: :?:

I really don't get this:

First there's this:

-and then, five posts later in the same thread there's this:
Mar. wrote:On the other hand, I've never had a ThermalTake product that was even halfway decent. The ONLY exception I would ever make is a heatsink I got from them, the TR2TT TR2M1. It's a simple aluminum fin/copper base Socket A heatsink, but what sets it apart are two things: its very low price (around 8 bucks on newegg), and its incredibly low build quality: The copper base is actually held on by SCREWS. It also came with an extremely cheesy clear LED fan that I cut the LED's off of, then later replaced. BUT, it cooled very well for its price, even with a slow fan on it.

Each of these is supposedly posted by the same person. Is this what people mean when they talk about "trolling"?
Or schizophrenia (sic?).

alglove

Post by alglove » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:18 am

Nah. It's called, "Thinking things through to their logical conclusion." :P

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:30 am

alglove wrote:Nah. It's called, "Thinking things through to their logical conclusion." :P
Exactly.

Pretty much everything Thermaltake makes is garbage. BUT, does that mean we should completely reject every new product they release, before we even see it? No, but we should still be a little wary of low build quality and such before buying.

sixscrews

Post by sixscrews » Mon May 02, 2005 7:33 pm

Wow!

The vitriol poured on Thermaltake here would consume many a case.

They do make some dog-ugly stuff - my Xaser III server is called 'Uglybox' on my network - but it does the job as far as keeping the mobo (Supermicro DP -see below) cool and supporting four drives with nice little plastic mounts that allow quick changes. The drive mounts have two fans on them with filters - not the greatest filters, granted - but they are filters. and the other fans have filters, as well. The airflow path could be better, but I could be 6' 8" tall and 22 years old again, too.

Now if you want to discuss Macs....

ss

Supermicro P3TDDE VIA Apollo Pro 266T 2 x Intel Pentium III-S 1.112 Ghz 'Tulatin' 1 GB PC 133 SD RAM 2 x PATA, 2 x PATA RAID 0 CD R/W Matrox Millenium G450 Dual Head AGP 8x

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Tue May 03, 2005 12:18 am

sixscrews wrote:...
The airflow path could be better, but I could be 6' 8" tall and 22 years old again, too.
But you could get a nice looking aluminium case with great airflow just as easily. Your other problem cannot be helped until they invent the flux capacitor...

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Thu May 12, 2005 12:41 pm

If you wanna see a really funny review of this case go here.
This is the most shilling site i have ever seen, just check out some of their other reviews too. They are so blatantly being paid off its not even funny.