Case anti vibration feets. How about Hi Fi spikes?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Poodle

Case anti vibration feets. How about Hi Fi spikes?

Post by Poodle » Mon May 09, 2005 3:31 pm

My 6070 case draws air from underneth. I guess the filter gard will be too thick for AcoustiFeet. My case will also be very heavy when my modding is completed. So I came to think of Hifi speaker spikes.

Probably to costly but I need feet thicker than the acoustifeet. Well I guess I could glue som rubber between or something?

Any suggestions?
Pardon any bad spelling, it's 2 AM here.... :?
Last edited by Poodle on Tue May 10, 2005 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katharsis

Post by Katharsis » Mon May 09, 2005 5:13 pm

a home improvement store should sell regular feet, like for couches or tables. they come in wood or plastic, with felt or rubber pads on them, etc. personally i think most speakers could get along with them and not the expensive spikes, but i'm also one of those crazy people who wont but a $500 power cord too.

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Mon May 09, 2005 8:01 pm

boy, the audiophile/computer crossover has come up a lot recently.

Poodle, are you on carpet or some hard surface? Audio spikes, unless you can find a really good deal, are going to be much more expensive than a very soft solution (also keeps vibrations from being transferred). If you wanted to go really ghetto get some wood blocks and put some adhesive foam where they and the case connect. You could also try the caster option; Bluefront has seemed to have some success with that.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue May 10, 2005 5:25 am

Let your imagination run wild here. There's a myriad of things that can work. Spikes certainly would, but along those lines, look into making your own "spikes" by starting with four bolts around 4-6cm long, with two nuts per bolt. Use the existing case feet holes, and then use the long bolts as extension feet, locking them in place with the nuts, and maybe a few fender washers for added stability. Others here at SPCR have used shot glasses and tennis balls cut in half. There's a million endless possibilities here...

scara

Post by scara » Tue May 10, 2005 6:56 am

poodle wrote:Probably to costly but I need feet thicker than the acoustifeet. Well I guess I could glue som rubber between or something?
AcoustiFeet remind me of bisected squash balls. Would a 'whole' squash ball be thick enough? If so they're a cery cheap but effective dampener on hard floors.

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Tue May 10, 2005 1:22 pm

That's some really good ideas, all of them. Funny also that I actually play squash and have those balls laying all around. :lol:

Good lads! Cheers