best way to block unwanted case fan holes ?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

SpaceDreamer

best way to block unwanted case fan holes ?

Post by SpaceDreamer » Fri May 13, 2005 1:29 am

Hi
I have a case with 5 holes for 8cm fans ( 2 front, 2 rear, 1 side )
and I want some of them to be shut so that I control the air flow.
Any suggestions for blocking them properly ?
I'm planning to have most case fans blowing inwards, so there will probably be a positive pressure inside the case.
It's a chieftek case, and 4 of the 5 fans are held by some kind of plastic holder, rather than screwed to the case.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: best way to block unwanted case fan holes ?

Post by ultraboy » Fri May 13, 2005 8:10 am

SpaceDreamer wrote:....Any suggestions for blocking them properly ?
Duct tape will do. If it has a plastic fan holder - take it out first. :wink:
..I'm planning to have most case fans blowing inwards, so there will probably be a positive pressure inside the case.
Some people like positive pressure (less dust, higher temp), some like negative pressure (more dust, lower temp). Each to their own, I guess. :D With positive pressure you might want to check all the temp, especially Hdd, to see whether you're happy with that.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Fri May 13, 2005 8:41 am

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article116-page3.html

Ralf Hutter used aluminum hivac tape from home depot to block the case holes in his slk3700bqe. This tape works and looks better than duct tape.

Tom Brown

Post by Tom Brown » Fri May 13, 2005 8:41 am

I like packing tape but it's tough to get packing tape off. It rips into tiny chards when you try to pull it off after it's been on for more than a day, or so.

Duct tape leaves a nasty residue but you can remove the residue with WD40. Just give it a squirt and let it soak for a few minutes. Then, give it another squirt and the residue will come right off with a rag.

Tape is definitely the way to go.

Tom Brown

Post by Tom Brown » Fri May 13, 2005 8:43 am

Michael Sandstrom wrote:Ralf Hutter used aluminum hivac tape from home depot to block the case holes in his slk3700bqe. This tape works and looks better than duct tape.
LOL!

That stuff is pricey but it does work great. I was an HVAC technician for about a dozen years before getting into the IT field.

Trust Ralf to take it up a notch. :)

hofffam

Post by hofffam » Fri May 13, 2005 9:04 am

I use something else. I prefer not to use tape because dust will stick to the tape. My objection is purely cosmetic.

Instead I use thin Lexan (similar to Plexiglas) cut slightly larger than the area you want to block. I attach thin self-adhesive magnetic tape to the perimeter of the Lexan. These panels simply stick to the steel case. I cut the Lexan with metal snips but you could use a hacksaw (etc.).

Home Depot sells both of these materials.

Of course this won't work on an aluminum case.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri May 13, 2005 9:08 am

Tom Brown wrote:I like packing tape but it's tough to get packing tape off. It rips into tiny chards when you try to pull it off after it's been on for more than a day, or so.
I didn't have any problem with packing tape. Might be different brand - the one I use is quite thick. I fold one end back on itself, so that I have something to pull on when I want to remove it.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Fri May 13, 2005 9:09 am

How about those cheap $1 rolls of aluminum foil tape? That might work well too, and I think regular electrical tape has been suggested as well.

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Fri May 13, 2005 10:29 am

It's a little pricey, but gaff tape works wonderfully. $15 for a duct-tape-sized roll...but it's black (good for my 3000B) and it won't ever leave any residue if you decide to pull it off. Holds just as well as duct tape, too. I swear by the stuff for many, many household applications :D

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Fri May 13, 2005 2:52 pm

As seen in movies!

I just use whatever is lying around, and we have loads of masking tape. If you don't mind the creamness it works fine and can be pulled off (if necessary) easily.