Yet another "case search" thread.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Tetra

Yet another "case search" thread.

Post by Tetra » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:36 pm

Hello everyone;

Long time reader, first time poster on these boards. Anyhow, I'm currently speccing out my workstation, and I'm running into a big issue on the choice of case.

I'm looking at an E-atx MB (12"x13") [Either the Tyan K8WE or Asus K8N-DL... If the Asus has a bios out now that will support dual core, that's the way I'll go...but I digress]

Obviously, the size of the motherboard limits me from some of the more popular case choices that are heavily recommended. I've run a search on the boards, and read what I could, however, I've got one interesting twist.

I have to carry my case a short distance twice a week. Only about 3 minutes, by foot, but I'm 5'5", and I'm then limited by what I could carry.

One of the odder options I've considered is picking up a 4u rackmount case, and using it much like a desktop case.

I do plan on quieting the case; I doubt I can really silence it, due to the dual cpu/pci-e configuration, and my raptors. (I know they're not quiet, but I'm addicted good HD speed)

Anyhow, any help on this would be great.

Thanks;

Jeremy

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Yet another "case search" thread.

Post by sthayashi » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:38 pm

Tetra wrote:I'm looking at an E-atx MB (12"x13") [Either the Tyan K8WE or Asus K8N-DL... If the Asus has a bios out now that will support dual core, that's the way I'll go...but I digress]
[...]
I have to carry my case a short distance twice a week. Only about 3 minutes, by foot, but I'm 5'5", and I'm then limited by what I could carry.
Um... Dual CPU systems require twice as many (hefty) heatsinks and a reasonably good PSU (which usually translates to heavy). Even your average steel case in combination with your normal requirements will be on the heavy side. If you can get an airport carry-on bag cart or "wheelies" as my folks call them, you may be able to get around the heaviness factor. Otherwise, I think you may be screwed from the start here.

The case that's right at the top of the recommended list is the Fong Kai FK-330. CALL UP your vendor for this case. For some reason, only some of the cases support E-ATX. Make sure what you're going to buy has it.

Tetra

Post by Tetra » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:01 pm

I do realize that; however, the travel is an unavoidable aspect of what I do.

I don't know if you've tried to google that Fong-kai case, but I've had a terrible time trying to locate one, which is why I was looking for alternatives.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:28 pm

Completely ignoring your desire for a good E-ATX case, there's a setup that will easily meet your needs for portability:
http://www.iwill.net/product_2.asp?p_id=36

I have no idea on its quiet capabilities.

Tetra

Thanks, but no thanks.

Post by Tetra » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:11 pm

Thanks for the reply on that. however the SFF is not exactly too appealing for me.

Once again, I'm looking for an Eatx case. Did I post this in the wrong section of the forums?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:20 pm

Probably...

I'll move it to the appropriate section. Hopefully it won't die under all the Sonata II and P180 threads. :wink:

Tetra

Post by Tetra » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:32 pm

Thanks a bunch :)

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:49 am

Does this carrying around require going up or down stairs? If not, why not buy a typical EATX-capable tower case and put casters at the bottom? That way, you can push it around instead of carrying it, which should widen your options quite a bit.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:17 pm

I don't know how I missed this before, but it appears that the Silverstone TJ06 appears to be able to support E-ATX motherboards.

milo

Post by milo » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:45 pm

Perhaps a Mountain Mods case? Aluminum cube, 18" on a side, 15 pounds. Hard to imagine a case much harder to silence, though - you'd almost have to put it inside another box.

gsattler

Fong Kai FK-330 reborn as a Dynapower F3323?

Post by gsattler » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:44 am

Hey All,

I own a Fong Kai FK330 and it looks remarkably similar to the relatively new Dynapower F3323. The hard drive cages are mounted across the front instead of inline with the front, but everything else about it looks similar. Check these links out.

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/sh ... i=2525&p=5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811138063