Antec P180. Quality and design issues?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Phantron

Antec P180. Quality and design issues?

Post by Phantron » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:45 pm

Ummm after reading this thread, I have SERIOUS doubts about the quality of this case. Seriously, how much did Antec sacrifice to get this case out the door? Whats going on here? First rust, now door latches breaking off?

Mike you designed this thing with Antec and this is what we get? Explain. Now.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... 1027812529

Moderator edit: Images changed to links to prevent image stealing, as per SPCR policy.

http://members.shaw.ca/ungood/Pictures/crap3.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/ungood/Pictures/crap4.jpg

http://img7.echo.cx/img7/498/rust2mk.jpg

sundevil_1997

Re: Antec P180. Quality and design failure galore.

Post by sundevil_1997 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:42 pm

Phantron wrote:Mike you designed this thing with Antec and this is what we get? Explain. Now.
Tis a bit brusque for a first post.

Perhaps a re-read of the P-180 preview would be in order....
MikeC wrote:I became the design consultant for the product, code named P180.
Design consultant. Try to find in that definition anywhere where it says that he made actual design decisions.

Also, I have a hard time seeing how rust or broken door brackets have anything to do with silencing the product, which is what Mike C was consulting on.

I'd suggest you repost this in the Antec forums and try there.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:02 pm

Contact us directly. 1-800-222-6832 and ask for Jim Rivera. We'll replace the P180, no hassle.

As far as the rust goes we've identified the problem and have already taken steps to correct it.

AntecRep

kogi

Post by kogi » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:57 pm

AntecRep,

Do you know if the ones that will be for sale in Australia will have the rust problem fixed?

Also can we get your excellent service over there from our suppliers?

And while I got your attention.
Can I tell from the box what revision the titan 550 is. I need the one that is fixed to fit normal ATX boards.

TIA
kogi

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:03 pm

From that thread:
I assume I didn't have the side of the case put in all the way before I tightened the thumbscrews.
Sounds like more user error than design error. People do dumb things and break stuff. You can't blame everything on the manufacturer.

Make something idiot proof, and they'll build a better idiot.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:48 pm

Read some of the posts on page one of that topic... That site is the exact opposite of SPCR...

Exhibit 1. The color scheme

Exhibit 2. Load time on pages

Exhibit 3. Members' quotes:
"Damn that's a good case! I love all the features, the way its organized on the inside and all the 120mm fans!!!! Its got everything I want from a case!!"

" I like it because of its interior and all the optional 120mm fans it can hold."

"The biggest problem with it (aside from the subjectivity of the styling) is that it isn't aluminum. It's 0.8mm steel everywhere except the hard drive bays." (which is wrong anyway)

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:25 am

kogi wrote:AntecRep,

Do you know if the ones that will be for sale in Australia will have the rust problem fixed?

Also can we get your excellent service over there from our suppliers?

And while I got your attention.
Can I tell from the box what revision the titan 550 is. I need the one that is fixed to fit normal ATX boards.

TIA
kogi
Australia P180's, shouldn't be an issue. And you should be able to return it no problems.

Titan550 it's not a revision, but rather a correction. Some of the initial Titan's did not have all the mounts for ATX or microATX motherboards, others did. I'll see if I can get confirmation on the status of the Titan's.

AntecRep

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:12 am

Phantron --

Too bad you don't bother to read through the threads you link yourself. :roll: If you had, you'd realize it was user error that caused the tab to break -- the fellow admits he did not have the side cover properly in place before tightening up the screws.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:24 pm

Not the best entrance, but WELCOME TO SPCR Phantron!! I received my P180 today, and the only complaint I have of it thus far after inspecting it is that there is some sort of glue residue at points along my side panels that I needed to rub off with a cloth and solvent (similar to the residue you might find after you peel tape off of something). It's nothing major, but it was there; other than that, I must say I am very impressed!

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:14 am

AntecRep: Now that the P180 is out in Australia, have you got a clue when the Tricool fans will be available (specifically for use in the optional slots of the P180)?

JerryT

Post by JerryT » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:14 pm

Hi all;

I should have mine in my hands on Monday (finally :D )

Antec Rep and/or others I have a quick question. What power supplies are you using with this case? I have a DFI Ultra-D, and from where the ATX connector is it looks like I'm gonna need at least 19" of ATX cable to make a neat install.
Thanks.

idiot

Post by idiot » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:08 pm

A Seasonic S12 can reach the connectors on the DFI (although you might not have enough lines to power all your devices while using the MB floppy and molex connectors as well, which are a bit out of the way... depending on your setup, of course).

moritz

Post by moritz » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:15 am

Regarding the side panel hooks that fellow broke, one the one hand I guess it's not so much of an issue considering how he broke them. One the other hand, it would have been nice if they were more solid - made from metal and bolted to the side panel, something like that.

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:54 pm

My two cents...

The P180 is an incredibly thorough design. A recent reply in this thread suggested that the side-panel tabs should be metal. Remember that this case is designed with cool and quiet in mind. The side-panels are plastic sandwiched between two aluminum sheets, and a sharp rap with my knuckles produces a VERY muted thud.

Everywhere that metal touches metal in this case is either riveted or welded. Everywhere that a movable surface contacts a fixed surface the contact is metal-plastic to minimize potential vibration noise. That is why the tabs are plastic. The drive cages slide into place on plastic runners with a snug fit and held in place with thumbscrews. (More on that in a moment). I found ZERO imperfections in my case on arrival, and with all the details in this beast that in itself is remarkable.

I had a few moments of unease the first time I slapped the thing back together. As I was putting the left side panel back on, it hung up just short of sliding home, and didn't feel like moving any farther. Aware of the plastic tabs and not wishing to stress them, I took a good look at the tab holes and saw nothing out of place.

Then I glanced at the thumbscrews that were sitting on the table for the side panel, and saw that one had a shorter head. Go figure, the thumbscrew that holds the secondary drive cage sits very near the side panel. Swap the screw, panel slides home and all is well. So, a small thing to be aware of.

On the noise side, I slapped an older 300W PSU I had handy into it and plugged in the fans, set them all on HIGH, closed up the case and ran it. Inside of this case, 3 120mm fans running at 1700/1500RPM were extremely quiet. I'm still waiting for a few parts decisions to build up the system, but I'm already very happy with choosing the P180. Anyone quick to judge that Antec didn't do their best with this is welcome to check with me. And who isn't impressed that an Antec Rep is checking this forum? Good on ya.

Mumrik

Post by Mumrik » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:59 pm

I get your point, but I'm not really sure I buy it.

They decided to make the tabs plastic for sonic reasons, but mounted the fans directly to the case/ to vibrating plastic?

Dirty-Harry

I can't wait for mone to Arrive

Post by Dirty-Harry » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:12 pm

I already ordered my P180.

My soon to be old case has a Nexus NX-3000 PSU. I don't think this power supply is quiet enough.

I value the opinions of the regulars here. Any recommendations for a quiet or fanless PSU would be greatly appreciated.

Buzku

Re: I can't wait for mone to Arrive

Post by Buzku » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:57 pm

Dirty-Harry wrote:I already ordered my P180.

I value the opinions of the regulars here. Any recommendations for a quiet or fanless PSU would be greatly appreciated.
It seems that users here keep Seasonics' 430-watt PSU as a silent one.

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:28 pm

Mumrik wrote:I get your point, but I'm not really sure I buy it.

They decided to make the tabs plastic for sonic reasons, but mounted the fans directly to the case/ to vibrating plastic?
No, Mumrik. The fans are mounted to metal. The top panel has a sheet of plastic covering the outside steel of the case, again for sound deadening, and also to sustain the aesthetics of the exterior design. Aside from that, the plastic isn't exactly cheesy. It's quite stout. Check the photos, the fans mount on the case frame.

I assure you, there are no vibrating parts on this case. They went as far as to mount tiny clips on the drive cages for stowing the pull-rings to prevent rattling. When I ran just the fans on a PSU, ALL I heard was the PSU exhaust fan.

Anyway, it's by far the most thorough design detail I've ever seen in a case and I'm thrilled with mine. To each his own.

Mumrik

Post by Mumrik » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:04 am

Uhm, that was exactly my point. Most of the fans are mounted directly to the metal of the case - around here's that's concidered bad. They should have been softmounted somehow...

Freelancer77

Post by Freelancer77 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:39 pm

Mumrik wrote:Uhm, that was exactly my point. Most of the fans are mounted directly to the metal of the case - around here's that's concidered bad. They should have been softmounted somehow...
Okay, an argument could be made that soft standoffs instead of screws for the fans would reduce noise, I'll agree. Except that there is no noise to reduce. It is already at or below ambient in my office. The Antec TriCool fans spin smooth, I can't feel any vibration against the case at 1700RPM. Nuff said.

Mumrik

Post by Mumrik » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:54 pm

So your argument is that the transfer of vibration to the metal isn't a problem, because the panels are so 'dead'?

idiot

Post by idiot » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:20 pm

Mumrik wrote:So your argument is that the transfer of vibration to the metal isn't a problem, because the panels are so 'dead'?
The panels where the fans attach are regular 0.8mm steel, not the plastic-aluminum sandwich. So they're not any more deadened than other cases of this material. I can't comment on the vibrations, though.

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:41 pm

How good are the Tricool fans which came with it? Are they both quiet while pushing reasonable air?

quizzicus

Post by quizzicus » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:18 pm

Freelancer77 wrote:Anyone quick to judge that Antec didn't do their best with this is welcome to check with me. And who isn't impressed that an Antec Rep is checking this forum? Good on ya.
Not to mention that they've already fixed the rust problem, BEFORE the case is widely available. But yeah, checking third-party forums is definitely above and beyond. Most companies don't even check their own forums.

John

Locklear

Post by Locklear » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:19 am

AntecRep wrote:As far as the rust goes we've identified the problem and have already taken steps to correct it.

AntecRep
Sorry about bumping an old thread, but my post is related to this issue.

Seems this problem isn't even close to corrected. Just got my case and almost every single premounted screw/thumbscrew was rusted to the case :shock:

Seeing this case is a real pain to get where I live, I'm not very keen on returning it for a replacement either. That could easily take a month or more (used almost 2 months to get this one)

Front door is bulging to. Must say my initial expectations took a nosedive...