Will there ever be a smaller version of the P180 released?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

yacoub

Will there ever be a smaller version of the P180 released?

Post by yacoub » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:51 pm

It's wayyy too big for my needs. I need a mid-tower at most. As long as it's big enough for ATX format motherboards, that's all I need. I only run one internal optical drive, one internal hard drive, the motherboard w/ CPU and RAM, a GPU, and maybe a soundcard.

Totally no need for ELEVEN drive bays, lol.

Any word on a smaller P180?

Thanks.

ereinion

Post by ereinion » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:24 pm

Called sonata II

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:08 am

ereinion wrote:Called sonata II
Nope, Sonata II vs. P180 is an apples and oranges comparison.

The Sonata II has nothing to do with the P180.

The P180 is an all-new design, built from scratch to have excellent thermal and sonic performance.

The Sonata II is nothing but a slight update to the original Sonata, a case design that is 3+ years old, has marginal cooling and was by no means particularly quiet in it's stock configuration.

zip22

Post by zip22 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:02 am

the reasons the P180 is tall are as follows:
-at the top, there is room to allow for the top fan (so it won't interfere with the motherboard)
-at the bottom, there are spaces above and below the powersupply to allow for powersupplys with a bottom fan and allow more airflow out so as to not resrtict the 120mm if the powersupply has no fans on the back

if you look at a picture of the back of the P180, you can see theres not that much room to spare height wise. i agree that smaller would better, and thats the major reason i'm not getting one. i just dont see how it could get that much smaller without a significantly different design. they needed to allow for all the different powersupply fan orientations. its actually not that much taller than the competition with similar designs (p180: 540mm, stacker: 536mm, v1000, v1100: 490mm). the lian-lis are shorter because they allow bottom-intake powersupplys to draw directly from vents in the bottom, and (because of the vents) dont have to worry about restricting the airflow.