Antec P180, using top fan but covering holes in the hood

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ExpertNovice

Antec P180, using top fan but covering holes in the hood

Post by ExpertNovice » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:00 pm

It looks like I will be using the new Scythe Ninja cpu heat sink. No, not because of it's name or size. If I liked flash I would NOT be getting the P180 and I happen to like the looks of the P180. Nice and clean.

Now, with this heat sink it appears that it can be nicely run without a fan because of the two exhaust fans on the P180. The top and at the top on the back.

I had planned on covering the top exhaust due to dust. Would it cause too much turbulence if the top vent cover had the holes on top covered. I'm hoping to help keep dust out when the system is not running.

No, I won't remember to cover it up when it is shut down. I barely remember to go to sleep at night. :)

If it is a bad idea, then this may be the nth case mod that I will be making.
1. an exhaust hood for the PSU to reduce heat from entering into the main compartment.
2. Different vents than supplied for exhausting the video card.
3. a top exhaust hood that rises higher than the curren one but helps reduce dust from falling in.

Shadowknight

Re: Antec P180, using top fan but covering holes in the hood

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:34 pm

ExpertNovice wrote: I had planned on covering the top exhaust due to dust. Would it cause too much turbulence if the top vent cover had the holes on top covered. I'm hoping to help keep dust out when the system is not running.
? turbulance? Just take the fan off the top blowhole and tape is shut with electrical tape from the inside. Problem solved.

ExpertNovice

Post by ExpertNovice » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:37 pm

I would think that taping it shut would interfere with the fan that will now be used to cool the fanless heatsink? :P

Ok, kidding aside. You overlooked the previous paragraph which stated
ExpertNovice wrote:Now, with this heat sink it appears that it can be nicely run without a fan because of the two exhaust fans on the P180. The top and at the top on the back.
Specifically, take a look at the first picture.

The Scythe Ninja has been used extensively in testing of the Antec P180 case. Consider the juxtaposition of the heatsink relative to the two exhaust 120mm fans on the P180: