coolermaster stacker 810

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

hightower

coolermaster stacker 810

Post by hightower » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:50 am

hey guys, have any of you seen or tried this new version of stacker?
http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/prod ... RC-810.pdf

2x120mm exhaust fans and psu at bottom... the best case I've seen so far 8) (didn't like p180).

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:10 pm

Can't see the difference between this and the previous Stacker.

I have one of the previous Stackers. It's a good case to use for a server - I have 10 hard drives in mine - but it's not a quiet case. I'm glad mine is in the server room - I wouldn't want it in the room I'm working in.

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:37 pm

Looks like the right side axial fan may be gone...

jjr

What's wrong with the stacker from a silence standpoint ?

Post by jjr » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:31 am

PositiveSpin wrote: I have one of the previous Stackers. - but it's not a quiet case. I'm glad mine is in the server room - I wouldn't want it in the room I'm working in.
I was considering this case for a future PC.

I have put a stacker HD module in my Chieftec case and found that it was isolating pretty well hard drive noise (due to the suspending rings) as well as providing interesting (a ultra quiet) cooling with the 12cm intake fan.

hightower

Post by hightower » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:18 am

Can't see the difference between this and the previous Stacker.
uhh, are you sure you actually own a stacker ? now there is 2 x 120mm exhausts instead of 1 x 120mm, also there are not 2 places for the psu but just the one at the bottom. :wink:

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:37 am

hmm... if my eyes don't deceive me, it also looks as though the BTX-convertible function has been ditched, which is interesting - granted, it wasn't exactly convenient to perform, but you'd presumably only normally do it the once. Maybe CM have decided the BTX format isn't going to be implemented on a wide scale any time soon.

The blower fan is gone, which is no great loss...

I have one of the original Stackers, and I don't really think the "open-front" design is all that great from a quiet PC point of view. It's fine if you have quiet components to start with, but there's not much point in buying a case of this... err... magnitude unless you have a large number of HDDs, which isn't ideal for silent computing anyway.

I do like the Stacker though... it's built like a tank (apart from plasticky bits on the facia), it's very easy to work inside, I love the drive bay flexibility and its airflow characteristics are everything you could wish for. It wouldn't be my first choice if quietness is the main priority however.

JayF

Re: What's wrong with the stacker from a silence standpoint

Post by JayF » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:12 pm

jjr wrote:
PositiveSpin wrote: I have one of the previous Stackers. - but it's not a quiet case. I'm glad mine is in the server room - I wouldn't want it in the room I'm working in.
I was considering this case for a future PC.

I have put a stacker HD module in my Chieftec case and found that it was isolating pretty well hard drive noise (due to the suspending rings) as well as providing interesting (a ultra quiet) cooling with the 12cm intake fan.
I recently bought an "ordinary" Stacker to replace my ancient Chieftec Bigtower which was making a bloody racket... To counter the fact that the side panels are aluminium and rather thin, I bought an AccoustiPack Deluxe and "filled" the case with it. Right now, I find that it's perfectly acceptable from a noise standpoint, although I'm replacing the CM stock fans with Nexus or Papst. It's not exceptionally quiet, but like someone mentioned, if your PRIMARY concern is getting the thing as quiet as possible, then maybe the P180 is better.

Anyhow, I put a Seasonic 500W in there in the BOTTOM PSU rack and I think that was a good idea. The PSU fan spins really slowly even when I'm gaming. Also, I have the CrossFLow fan, and, yes, it's not silent, but even at the low setting it pushes a lot of air over the MB, and right now I can't hear it at low. Putting it at medium allows me to increase my overclock but at a slight increase in sound.

I have 3 HDDs and the onyl thing I hear from them is a bit of seek noise, using the stock 4-in-3 module.

So... if you don't require a really quiet rig, you can silence the Stacker AND get the all the advantages of the huge Stacker :-)

Oh and BTW, ignore my signature... I need to update it after getting the tstacker. Noise levels should be "pretty low" or something :lol: