Gigabyte 3D Aurora (new case)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

pergite

Gigabyte 3D Aurora (new case)

Post by pergite » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:42 am

Does anyone have this case? From what I understand from the reviews I've read it´s supposed to be quiet, is it? I know everyones gonna tell me to buy a p180 instead but I really don't want a case the looks like a refrigerator, so could this be an alternative?
http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle. ... =723&cid=9

JonV

Post by JonV » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:25 am

Have you seen a P180 "in person"? The lighting in most photo situations makes it look much more like a fridge than it does in real life. It's a very low-key silvery color, looks very stylish and not at all like a fridge.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:36 am

Yeah the P-180 is Antec's answer to the old beige box....in silver this time.

Maybe you could store food in there...it's not cold enough though. :lol:

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:56 am

rofl, i thought i was the only one who thought the P180 looks like a pos :lol:

i was looking at the aurora too, but the mesh side put me off

Flanno

Post by Flanno » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:29 pm

Ok..I bought an Aurora for a build I was doing for a friend.

Yes the fans are extremely quiet...but only do 1k rpm, and they have a slight buzzing. Would still prefer Nexus jobs to them.

I think the aluminium on the case is rubbish too...it's very very thin. Just tip it with your finger and it reverberates. Only 1 seagata sata drive in there and is very noticable. The psu support bar is very weak too,a dn the overall construction on the inside feels flimsy to me. That is probably cause I am used to Coolermaster and the new Lian-Li cases which use 2mm aluminium, and lately I am using an Antec P180. 'Nuff said.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:13 pm

aw, that case looked like it might have been half decent once ya cover up the side mesh with sound foam :(

Flanno

Post by Flanno » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:17 am

Hmmm...my friend has been using this case for a little while now and I take back a lot of what I said.....so much so I made the switch myself from a P180 to an aurora the other day. For a no. of reasons - p180 too heavy, front door buldge annoying me, chipset cooling only average, cable management a nightmare. Sure the aluminium of the aurora is 1mm thick like a lot of cases, which is what makes it so light. And it isnt lian li quality by an means. And you can hear hdd seeks. No real vibration like I had with the Akasa Eclipse, but you can definitely hear every drive. So for a die hard silent pc fan this would not be the case to have. But it is quieter then most cases I have come accross and suitable for the bedroom. Most importantly for me it cools my rig better then my p180. Cpu temps are down and I am able to overclock higher, and my chipset temp is idling in the low 30's instead of high to mid 40's. I also love the styling. Plus the blue leds are nice without being too bling. Oh..and cable management is very good with the fan cables all being prerouted. Check out any no. of reviews and everyone is very positive on this case. It's just not designed for silence like the P180.