Press release for new Antec P150 case.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

oldabelincoln

Press release for new Antec P150 case.

Post by oldabelincoln » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:19 am

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:20 am

kloppe

Post by kloppe » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:27 am

AntecRep wrote:Here's the product page:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81500
Thanks, no pics of the interior though? :/

Edit:
Removable front bezel for easy access to drive bays
Now that sounds interesting--Sonata-style drive mounting but with the drive bay the right way around?

Edit2: Oh wait, the P180 has that, too. :P

Edit3 (last one, promise): Interior "pic": http://www.antec.com/pdf/drawings/P150_techdrawing.pdf
The "suspension system" looks like removable hooks for Stretch Magic or something similiar...
Last edited by kloppe on Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

winguy

Post by winguy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:29 am

P150 also comes with four removable hard disk drive (HDD) trays with silicone grommets to isolate noise-causing vibrations. For even quieter performance, the drive trays can be removed and Antec's pioneering HDD suspension system can be used for up to three hard drives, thus completely eliminating direct contact and resultant noise between the drives and chassis structure.
Bundled with a nice PSU too.
Any pics of the interior?
Last edited by winguy on Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:50 am

Wow, as great in cooling as the P180 is, I've avoided it because of its cost and size.

If this cools anywhere near as well as the P180 . . . I might save up and upgrade my 3000B to this. **DROOL**

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:33 am

wow, this new case and line of power supplies look amazing (Hard Drive Suspension built in to a case !?!?!?!.) I certainly hope an SPCR review is coming soon, i can hardly think of a product right now that is of more interest to the silencing community.

scruzbeachbum

Post by scruzbeachbum » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:48 am

Yep - looks nice. When can I get it in black? :)

Antec Rep - product page on website has a comparison link...but with old data...has p160 and p180...but not the p150. fyi.

Looking forward to a review!

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:01 am

Also supposed to have some type of integrated cable management system as well.

If they release a revised edition of the P180 with the cable management and suspension options, I am NOT buying it. I just dropped $180 on the black SPCR edition :evil:

winguy

Post by winguy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:08 am

Shadowknight wrote:Also supposed to have some type of integrated cable management system as well.
Advanced cable management simply means the PSU is modular. :)

teknerd

Post by teknerd » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:23 am

winguy wrote:
Shadowknight wrote:Also supposed to have some type of integrated cable management system as well.
Advanced cable management simply means the PSU is modular. :)
Also, according to the website, the case has channels for your wires to be laid in to keep them hidden.

winguy

Post by winguy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:28 am

teknerd wrote:Also, according to the website, the case has channels for your wires to be laid in to keep them hidden.
Oh I missed out on that part.
- Integrated cable organizers help keep your system neat

Here's the thread on the NeoHE PSU btw.

goodstuff

Post by goodstuff » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:04 am

Looks sweet!

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:37 am

Hum... interesting. Glad to see new cases coming out P180-style with silence in mind!

nici

Post by nici » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:55 pm

Looks like a nice concept, with the suspension and stuff already there and it should cost less than the P180.. I think it looks fugly though, but then again i have yet to see a case that i really like. They alll look crap imo. With the exception of the Silverstone TJ03, but thats like 330€..

Anyway, its nice to see something new and different coming out on the case market :)

jamesn

Post by jamesn » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:16 pm

Very nice, this seems to be what the p180 should have been from the start-however much theoretical sense that case made can't have been worth the psu cable-length headaches and unreasonable size for many of us.

moritz

Post by moritz » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:39 pm

Wow. Might have to get rid of my Lian Li at some point soon after all. Obviously gonna have to see a review first. But it looks very nice. Wonder what's the MRSP...

Edit: Doh: MRSP is 179 bucks according to the press release. I assume that translates to 179 Euros, too... 20 Euros more than the P180 goes for at a German retailer. Hmm. I guess whether this is good value depends on the quality of the PSU. It's certainly not as inexpensive as I had hoped.

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:22 pm

This is definitely a very interesting case to me. I have been looking for a silent case (or one that can be made silent) that is:

- about 16-17" tall (about Sonata height)
- two external 5.25" bay
- one external 3.5" bay
- no front door
- front firewire/USB/audio
- drive cage pointing towards back
- 120mm exhaust fan
- 120mm intake fan (can settle for a 92mm one)
- drive rail mounting for 5.25" devices
- rubber grommet moounting for 3.5" hard drives

This one seems to meet all of my requirements and may even be better in mounting 3.5" hard drive, at least on paper. I am eagering waiting for the case to be available.

teutonritter

Post by teutonritter » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:50 pm

Nice case! Too bad I just bought a 3700bqe a few months ago...

I agree with the person who said it was ugly though. I mean, if they were able to provide you with white cd/dvd covers, then why not just 1.) make them silver, and 2.) extend the covers out a little so that they can be flush with the bezel. I hate that look of a recessed CD rom area for PCs. See case below for an example of what I mean:

For comparison:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:54 pm

Greetings,

Here are pics of the Neo HE 430 power supply:
Sweet!

The case is also available in aluminum finish...

gitto

Post by gitto » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:16 pm

I hope the P150 will come with two extra blank 5.25" bay covers, so you can have one stealthed optical drive, with the other 3 bays covered by plain white covers.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:10 pm

I don't get why this case comes with that PSU. It should be the P180 that comes with a one, since the P180 is the one with the cable length issues that limit PSU selection and force some people to replace their PSU's, and is better suited for rear or front fan PSU's. Maybe it's because a bottom fan PSU in this case will likely have the CPU heatsink right against the fan?

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:07 pm

Looks good from a performance standpoint, but the aethetics rub me all wrong. I honestly think it'd look much better either with a door or the optical drives flush with the rest of the front panel. Why not take advantage of the side intake grills, and make everything on the front panel completely flush and sleek? Would've looked much better IMO that the current setup.

I'd also prefer all black or all brushed aluminum, not two-tones (especially with white as one of the colors). :)

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:32 am

Pity they didn't mount the mobo at the top and the PSU at the bottom, otherwise it's winner. How long until these are available in the UK?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:07 am

Good Christ! Poor Antec. Apparently there is nothing they can do to ever make the "perfect case".

:rolleyes:
mathias wrote:I don't get why this case comes with that PSU. It should be the P180 that comes with a one, since the P180 is the one with the cable length issues that limit PSU selection and force some people to replace their PSU's, and is better suited for rear or front fan PSU's. Maybe it's because a bottom fan PSU in this case will likely have the CPU heatsink right against the fan?
I'm pretty darn sure that if Antec had included a PSU in the P180, folks would have bitched about that for some reason. "It's not powerful enough". "It's too powerful. I don't need that much power and don't want to pay the extra money for it". It doesn't have enough _______ connectors, I need more". :)

So with the P150 you get a PSU that will likely run anything out there, has modular cables (and the ability to purchase more from Antec's online store), is the quietest included PSU that I've ever heard in an Antec case, and we bitch about it. :)

frostedflakes wrote:Looks good from a performance standpoint, but the aethetics rub me all wrong. I honestly think it'd look much better either with a door or the optical drives flush with the rest of the front panel. Why not take advantage of the side intake grills, and make everything on the front panel completely flush and sleek? Would've looked much better IMO that the current setup.

I'd also prefer all black or all brushed aluminum, not two-tones (especially with white as one of the colors). :)
Lots of people bitch about the door, so Antec gives us the P150 without a door, and we bitch about it. :)

People bitch about the P180's front panel being too plain, so Antec gives us a slightly rebated optical drive panel and we bitch about it. :)

People bitch about the silver/black P180 looking too much like a refrigerator so Antec gives us an understated white/brushed aluminum P150 and we'd rather have it all one color. :)

People bitch about the all black P180 being too monochromatic so Antec gives up a two-tone P150 and we'd rather have it all one color. :)

Sooty wrote:Pity they didn't mount the mobo at the top and the PSU at the bottom, otherwise it's winner. How long until these are available in the UK?
People bitch about the unusual PSU location of the P180 so Antec gives us a normal ATX config with the P150, and we say we'd rather have it the other way. :)

If I was Mr. Antec, I think I'd torch the entire building and retire to live in Monaco. :)

hyperq

Post by hyperq » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:35 am

Hi Ralf Hutter,

Your post is right on. I love it!

aug1516

Post by aug1516 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:39 am

Ralf, I know you meant your post in all seriousness but it was just the humor I needed this morning, thanks. :)

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:50 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:Good Christ! Poor Antec. Apparently there is nothing they can do to ever make the "perfect case".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

scaryduck

Post by scaryduck » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:16 am

I actually think it looks pretty decent for a standard case. The recessed bays are really nice. Flush, they're too slick and smooth. Not a fan of the aluminium front panel (a bit too cold; some iPod-style white plastic might look nice instead). Don't like the drive covers either - they would go straight in the bin. Colour's nice too.

The most inoffensive looking PC case to my eyes, apart from stuff like the hoojum and Shuttle SFFs. Definitely nicer than the P180: that's too macho and hard.

hmronin

Post by hmronin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:46 am

I agree with Ralf on case preferences, I don't there's ever going to be a case that everyone loves...

But the Antec Neo HE PSU looks quite promising. I'd be interested in knowing how it fairs in performance and acoustics to the Seasonic S12 PSU's.

stromgald

Post by stromgald » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:02 am

Right on Ralf. I thought the exact same thing after reading the posts before yours. All this bitching. I probably couldn't have worded a response so eloquently or amusing. :D

I personally love the looks of the case except for the drive covers, but that's ok since it hides my different color drives. Uniform white is better than grey, black and white. Heck, I'm using a SLK3000B. All of the Performance One series look great to me. Even that the P160 that I drooled over last Novmeber before I settled on getting a 3000B and a nicer graphics card. :wink: