New Antec P150 received - NEO430 incompat. or just DOA?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Hellspawn

New Antec P150 received - NEO430 incompat. or just DOA?

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:17 pm

Well, UPS brought my new shiny p150 this afternoon..

Spent about 2 hours getting everything just right, all the cables tucked away, everything situated.. held my breath and hit the power button..

Was'nt quite what I expected.. cd-rom drives started clicking and almost making a popping noise..

No video on the LCD screen I have, 74gb raptor spins up.

Basically all the fans spin up, the processor gets warm, all normal indicator lights come on... but no boot.

About 1 out of 40 power-ons did I get a post screen, but as soon as the disc booted, my monitor went back to sleep.

Took my seasonic s12-430 out of my old case, plugged in the +12v 4pin to the mainboard and the 24 pin, hit the power button, everything came to life, it booted, life was good.

NOW -- Bad power supply OR is the Neo430 HE incompatible with my Asus P5GDC mainboard? In it is: p4-3.4 prescott, (2) 512mb DDR, ATI Sapphire X800XL with factory-installed zalman 700, (1) Liteon DVD-rom, (1) liteon DVD -/+ RW, 74 gb raptor, scythe ninja with 120mm nexus at 7v.

All the above items are known good.

So my fellow SPCR's, bad supply from the getgo or does the NEO not like my mainboard?

Thoughts appreciated. I have not called Antec yet as I was too late to make their bankers' hours out there in CA..

brickout1

Post by brickout1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:50 pm

Have you tried the Neo HE w/another mainboard?

It definitely sounds to me like a bad psu rather than a compatibility problem...Good luck, I know that's a bummer.

darthan

Post by darthan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:51 pm

You may need to flash your BIOS and update your drivers as Asus motherboards have had issues with NeoHE power supplies (and no, I don't understand how that could be either but, well, see for yourself). After checking up on that as a possible issue I'd say call up Antec and get them to send you a new PSU as there is no reason whatsoever for it to not work with your system.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:19 pm

brickout1 wrote:Have you tried the Neo HE w/another mainboard?

It definitely sounds to me like a bad psu rather than a compatibility problem...Good luck, I know that's a bummer.
No, that's the only mainboard I can work with unfortunately.. :(

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:22 pm

darthan wrote:You may need to flash your BIOS and update your drivers as Asus motherboards have had issues with NeoHE power supplies (and no, I don't understand how that could be either but, well, see for yourself). After checking up on that as a possible issue I'd say call up Antec and get them to send you a new PSU as there is no reason whatsoever for it to not work with your system.
Hi there

My bios on the mainboard is the latest one, and well the drivers probably don't enter into this since I can't even get a post except about 1 time of a whole buncha boots. It seems like it is rebooting without the post screen, as it 'bumps' my speakers about every 5-7 seconds.

The only reassurance I have about the board and my components is that it was in a working system a few hours ago, and that when I transplant the seasonic into it, it boots up just fine, with all components.

If it is a bad PSU, I'm wondering how long they will take to get me a new PSU..

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:50 am

Is there any way one of the modular cables could have been put on the wrong way round (probably not as it would have probably killed the PC)...?

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:02 am

=assassin= wrote:Is there any way one of the modular cables could have been put on the wrong way round (probably not as it would have probably killed the PC)...?
Good idea but doubtful as I'm only using the 1 of the SATA power cable and 1 of the modular to (3) molex 4pin.

thanks though.

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:43 am

Hmm, have you tried different cables - possibly one of the cables used is faulty and not delivering the power? Are there different/specific slots in the back of the Neo HE that provide power via a certain rail?

Hellspawn

It's dead Jim

Post by Hellspawn » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:03 pm

=assassin= wrote:Hmm, have you tried different cables - possibly one of the cables used is faulty and not delivering the power? Are there different/specific slots in the back of the Neo HE that provide power via a certain rail?
kind of... it won't post even with the hardwired (non-removable) +12v 4pin and the 24pin ATX master power cable and nothing else plugged into the modular.. I believe that there are different locations for the modular plugs on different rails. I know the +12v and the 24 pin are on +12v2 by themselves.

Looks like Antec believes it to be a dud Neo 430 HE. Newegg offered to send me a generic 350w p/s or take it back for refund (the whole case), BUT I would have to ship at my expense. Newegg is not rocking my world on this transaction..

So Antec took my info and is advance shipping me a replacement Neo 430 HE unit. Bad news is it's by UPS ground (they offered to let me upgrade to faster shipping at my expense, but can't afford the rates!).

Worse part is it probably won't ship until Friday, so I might have it in a week or so.

Blah, bah, blech and damnit. At least my 3700bqe w/ s12-430 still all works to get me through this.

afrost

Post by afrost » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:45 pm

Man this NeoHE stuff really sucks.....I am sorry to hear about your problems.

:(

Hellspawn

Look what I found on my NEO430 HE!!!!!!!

Post by Hellspawn » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:18 pm

afrost wrote:Man this NeoHE stuff really sucks.....I am sorry to hear about your problems.

:(
Well, I got off the phone with Antec about getting it replaced, and was removing the p/s in order to ship to them, and low and behold what I found!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/resrda08 The first picture.

Now I'm getting mad.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:58 pm

I'll have to check with the relevant departments if Asus P5GDC is a new board (versus a model that's been previously reported as having an issue).

We want to know what the underlying issue is as well and we'll continue to push for answers.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:05 pm

AntecRep wrote:I'll have to check with the relevant departments if Asus P5GDC is a new board (versus a model that's been previously reported as having an issue).

We want to know what the underlying issue is as well and we'll continue to push for answers.
Been on the phone wiht them a couple of times today getting an RMA set up and all, only thing we really hit in detail was whether or not the p5gdc deluxe needed -5v to boot. According to Asus it doesn't. With the system still installed, as I said, I swapped the +12v 4pin and the 24pin plugs over to a seasonic and the system booted fine.

The system really acted like it wasn't getting the kind of power it needed. Then I found the sticker as in the picture there..

Beautiful case and well designed, hope this p/s is just a fluke..

crayon

Post by crayon » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:19 am

Hi,
I have quite the same problem.
I've build up my Asus P5GDC Deluxe based system into the Antec P180 case with an Antec Neo HE 430 PSU. Every fan starts; DVD, floppy disk and HD drives are running but the system can't boot up at all ! Black screen on the monitor !

Now I've replaced my old PSU and the system is running without problem.

Any advice ?

thanks
crayon

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:54 am

crayon wrote:Hi,
I have quite the same problem.
I've build up my Asus P5GDC Deluxe based system into the Antec P180 case with an Antec Neo HE 430 PSU. Every fan starts; DVD, floppy disk and HD drives are running but the system can't boot up at all ! Black screen on the monitor !

Now I've replaced my old PSU and the system is running without problem.

Any advice ?
Yup - Call 1-800-22-ANTEC, extension 302 (Roscoe), and tell him you'd like to start a trouble ticket, that you have the Asus P5GDC and that you'd like to get a swapped power supply with the 'Asus Fix'.

He is the one I've been working with on my P5GDC problem.

g'luck.