Does M-ATX boards fit in ATX cases?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Veniogenesis

Does M-ATX boards fit in ATX cases?

Post by Veniogenesis » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:19 am

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if Micro ATX boards fit in ATX cases. I bought a Sonata II, but my M-ATX board doesn't fit at all. None of the mounting screws or PCI slots match up. Is this the same case with all ATX cases?

Also, how many mounting holes do normal Micro ATX boards have? I think my motherboard is strange because it has 4 mounting holes: one at each extreme corner of the board.

Thanks so much!
Venio

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:33 am

Most ATX cases I know can fit micro-ATX boards too.

Micro-ATX boards have 8 screw holes and only one of them is located at a corner of the board.

Looking at the hole pattern in pictures of the SonataII, it should fit micro-ATX boards.

MalcolmC

Post by MalcolmC » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:38 am

I've got a micro ATX board in a Lian-Li case it fitted without any modification. The board is an Aopen, and gives the impression of being identical with a normal ATX board with just a few centimetres cut off the left hand side.

I also once had a Shuttle motherboard (which I am sure was micro ATX), again this fitted straight into a normal case.

I would have thought that M-ATX boards ought to made to a standard size, and therefore am surprised that yours does not fit. (But I am not an expert on the subject).

Veniogenesis

Post by Veniogenesis » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:40 am

Hmmm, no wonder. :( Thanks so much for the answers!

Thanks,
Venio

kesv

Re: Does M-ATX boards fit in ATX cases?

Post by kesv » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:56 am

Veniogenesis wrote: Also, how many mounting holes do normal Micro ATX boards have? I think my motherboard is strange because it has 4 mounting holes: one at each extreme corner of the board.
What board is it ? If it only has 4 holes it might not be a MicroATX board at all. The specification shows nine mounting holes for MicroATX where seven of them have identical placement with ATX. See pages 9&10 for the relevant parts about mounting holes.

Chang

Post by Chang » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:51 pm

Four at the corners almost sounds like a mini-ITX board. A mATX board is roughly 9.6" x 9.6" (244x244mm). A mini-ITX board is 6.75" x 6.75" (170x170mm).

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:41 am

But a mini-ITX board fits in any ATX/micro-ATX case. As its four holes are in the same position as four of the holes of its larger brethren.