What do you think of the upcoming CM Stacker 830?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

matrixtna

What do you think of the upcoming CM Stacker 830?

Post by matrixtna » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:55 am

hi all

The Coolermaster Stacker 830 seems to me to be an awesome case. I plan on using it for my next gaming rig this summer. BUt enough about what I think, I wanna here what you guys think of it as a case which seems to ensure some level of success regarding a cool pc

Check it out here!

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:59 pm

For some reason I come to think of that case that was built out of fans.

To achieve good case cooling there is no need for nine 120mm fans. What are you planning to put into this case?

El Doug

Post by El Doug » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:42 pm

on top of that, how do you make an aluminum case 40 pounds!?!?!

matrixtna

Post by matrixtna » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:30 pm

yea that is true 40 lbs is a lot.

i think im gunna use 5 120mm fans (1 front intake, 1 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust, 2 side intake) and maybe the cross flow fan

in terms of hardware

im building an SLI system .
DLI lanparty UT SLI DR Expert
amd dual core 3800+
2 gigs of some type of ocin ram
2 evga 7800gt SLI
500 watt psu
3 hdds

Im also going to be overclocking so

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:51 pm

Crap.

OK, I will say a bit more than just Crap, its Crap for silencing, CM were OK in their heyday some years ago and have been steadily staying the same, while others have improved, before anything else find out if SPCR are even willing to spend their precious time reviewing this Crap case.

However this may prove to be good for those with stupidly hot/fast system who need cooling, but it will be damned loud.

Andy

matrixtna

Post by matrixtna » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:03 pm

if you get the airflow right you can have as many fans as you want and the system will be quiet.

i doubt that anyone would ever need to use all 9 fans. the reason why it is appealing to people is because it is a big case (allows for better airflow easier), it has more space, it has a plethora of cooling options (probably can fit a water cooling kit.

It is appealing to me because i happen to like the styling of it and because it is adaptable. I plan on overclockin my system and i cant afford water cooling and i feel that this case will offer adaptable cooling that will be beneficial to my rig.

also just because the case can house a lot of fans doesnt mean it will be loud. 120mm fans are usually the quietest because they dont spin as fast, what would have been stupid is if they restricted you to only 92 or 80mm fans and let you use 16 of those.

that would be Crap.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:45 pm

If you get the airflow right you don't need a lot of fans, even if a fan is quiet it emits some noise and more fans mean more noise. That side panel is so open that it will be more or less impossible to get a real good airflow, not to mention all noise that will escape through it.

matrixtna

Post by matrixtna » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:54 pm

yea i was talking to another user who has a stacker and he said he achieved excellent airflow and cooling with only 2 120mm fans. he did block off those vents.

also i put up this thread so i could understand the opinions of others so that i could decide if i want this case or not.

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:20 am

I you ask me what I'm thinking:
I think that 830 is another beautiful case&masterpiece from CM(yes I love bling-IMO it's as nice as P180 in its own style), go ahead purchase one if you like its features&how it looks (I'd get one too if it's only cost $100 :lol: )
However this case designed not so much for silencing,so you'll get most negative comment if asking it here.
the front and side grill will let noise escape,it also aluminium. But If you give it a hard effort with dampening,sound proofing,suspending hd,along with right choice of components,etc you can built a quiet system on your own flavor with your own way. quite challenging eh?

review

peterson

Post by peterson » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:05 am

I think the old Stacker is better in every aspect.
But then i'm biased. :)
Too big opening on the side. Why smaller? No optional dual PSUs.
To me, the old Stacker is close to perfect as a starting point. Add some dampening material and it's really good. Very versatile for various experiments too.

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:11 am

Yup, putting a psu at the bottom so it doesn't get the hot air from the cpu is pretty cool.

I think it could be fun trying to put 3 filtered (low-speed / silent of course) 120mm fans at the front of the old one (the new one isn't as open) and running a positive-pressure case so that you don't need to seal every little hole to stop dust coming in. With that amount of airflow you could run the rest of the system passive aswell... The only problem with the stacker is the direct sound path from the front of the case, but if you're into crazy modding... :lol: