What Can You Do With $1.00 !

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

EdT

What Can You Do With $1.00 !

Post by EdT » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:47 pm

I was able to find some 1/8" X 9" X 12" high density foam from a local Dollarama for 3 sheets for $1.00cdn(@$0.84us) and to boot it even has self adhesive backing. There was several colors to choose from; yellow, purple, red, white, light blue, navy blue, but I went with the traditional black instead.

I made the mistake of buying an aluminium case the Kingwin KT-424-S last Christmas and its been annoying listening to the metallic resonance of the side panels rubbing against the case's chasis.

I also did not want to spend alot of $$$ on dampening material to quiet it down and have been looking around for effective and cost effective materials that I could use to muffle the tin can sound. Alright I lied, it took me 5 sheets to complete my case for a big total of $1.67cdn(@$1.42us) instead of the claimed $1.00cdn(@$0.84us) !

So far after installing the foam, the noise has disappeared and the panel gives a low "thunk" " thuck" sound when I tap the panel on the side rather than the higher pitched tin sound.

Case is a Kingwin KT-424-S Aluminium Case with no Windows

One of the Side Panel Doors Before the Foam
http://www.supload.com/free/Case%20003-117552.jpg/view/

Installing the Foam
http://www.supload.com/free/Case%20004-865391.jpg/view/

Side View
http://www.supload.com/free/Case%20002-727625.jpg/view/

Panel with the Foam Applied
http://www.supload.com/free/Case%20001-441341.jpg/view/

Deck of case, notice the case feet, rivot punch outs and around the speaker area and how beautifully it cuts with an Exacto knife and punches out to give a professionally finish and look
http://www.supload.com/free/Case%20005-284168.jpg/view/

Another shot of the inside case
http://www.supload.com/free/Case%20006-733714.jpg/view/
Last edited by EdT on Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:08 pm, edited 21 times in total.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:58 pm

The images other than the first are too big, causing side-scrolling, change them to links(forum rule). Plus they won't even download as embedded images(only load from cache).

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:11 pm

Good find for $1. :) As far as 424 goes, it's not a bad case and the sidepanels are actually higher quality than most aluminum cases because they have triangle-folded pieces on top and bottom which help rigidity along with clamps at the front. The tolerances are also very good. For an all aluminum case, 424 is really nice. Dampening panels also helps a lot. I've done it, but unfortunately even with sidepanel dampening it's not as good as steel, there is still some resonance heard.

Writer

Post by Writer » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:06 pm

What was that foam called? I need something to tighten up the tolerances in my new C5. It's a bit rattle-y.

EdT

Post by EdT » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:47 pm

Writer wrote:What was that foam called? I need something to tighten up the tolerances in my new C5. It's a bit rattle-y.
Being in the foam business before, this stuff is proberly a closed cell high density polyurethane foam. Its proberly not good for acoustic dampening, but great for limiting and absorbing vibrations. I seen it used in my Audi side door panels to control vibrations before.

They sell this stuff all over Dollarama store either in their arts and craft section or the thicker 1/2" stuff in the toy section for a giant jig saw puzzle for kids, but those don't have the self adhesive backing, also they use it for kneeling pads for gardners. I used the thicker stuff in my previous steel case and it did eliminate most of the vibrations.

rogun

Post by rogun » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:21 pm

EdT wrote: Being in the foam business before, this stuff is proberly a closed cell high density polyurethane foam. Its proberly not good for acoustic dampening, but great for limiting and absorbing vibrations. I seen it used in my Audi side door panels to control vibrations before.
What would you recommend that is inexpensive? I've been reading through this forum and I've yet to find a consensus for the best inexpensive material for both sound absorption and resonance dampening. I just bought an Antec SLK3000B and I'd like to install some material in it before setting it up. I'm not as hardcore as many of you, so it doesn't have to be the best, but I'm willing to do it if it will help some. However, I'm on a budget and can't afford to spend more than probably $30 either.

I also don't want to install anything that will reduce air flow, because I really want to keep the heat down, which should, of course, help to keep things more quiet. The ducting system in my house is crummy and the room this system will inhabit can get quite hot, which is why heat is such an important consideration for me.

Writer

Post by Writer » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:01 pm

I've used the big foam puzzle stuff before, too. (In my old Antec SX 830. Found the foam at Home Depot many years ago when I was always searching for some new kind of foam to use...my wife thought I was obsessed. :))

There isn't enough room for the puzzle foam in the C5, and TBH I don't really care for the puzzle foam any more...if I wanted to add mass I'd use an adhesive vinyl deadener as used in car audio over foam anyway. What I really want it for is to act as a cushion to tighten up the side panels which don't seat very well.

The right side panel on my C5 is actually warped (even though it's steel it bends far too easily) so I've decided to cut most of the steel away and replace it with acrylite, which will be stiffer. The case didn't come with the side panel I expected -- it has the newer side panel that cooler master is using on their 540 and 541 models, with the rectangle of vent holes over the PCI slots and a stupid 60mm grille with an extendible plastic CPU duct attached. ("Stupid" because who on Earth is using a 60mm HSF any more? :)) I don't want any side holes in my new case -- been there, done that, and this time I know better.

I went looking at a local Dollorama store but they didn't have anything resembling that stuff, unfortunately. I found some sheets of foam with no adhesive at another dollar store, but passed on it hoping to find the real deal at the Dollorama. Ended up grabbing some larger sheets of the same kind of hobby foam at Michaels (.99 a sheet for almost the same surface area as 3 of the smaller sheets) and I'll just use double-sided tape to attach it.

Michaels had the smaller sheets of hobby foam with the adhesive back, for .99 each...I bought one just to use in a couple spots where the tape won't work as well.

rogun

Post by rogun » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:21 am

Great! There's a Michaels next door to a dollar store close to my house, so hopefully one of them will have some.

Thanks for the info!

ThatOldDude

Post by ThatOldDude » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:45 pm

Is that a PCI card below your video card that looks like it's being bent up to fit in the PCI slot?? :? I used to have the 424 in black...nice cases (very striking resemblance to the Lian-Li aren't they?? :wink: ) but I hated that tinny sound of the panels.

EdT

Post by EdT » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:10 pm

ThatOldDude wrote:Is that a PCI card below your video card that looks like it's being bent up to fit in the PCI slot?? :? I used to have the 424 in black...nice cases (very striking resemblance to the Lian-Li aren't they?? :wink: ) but I hated that tinny sound of the panels.
No, its my weird 45Deg half size USB2.0 card.

I got my 424 at a great price last Christmas, the similar Lian-Li was like more than double the cost. Now I know I should have gotten a steel case. I loved my old InWin A500 !

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:32 pm

rogun- melamine is considered cheap and effective
at mcmaster -melamine ceiling tile and volara foam (1/8") prices have gone up though..... but should be within your budget

rogun

Post by rogun » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:21 pm

theyangster - Thanks!

I received my SLK3000B today, so I'll head on over there and grab some.

Blacktales

Post by Blacktales » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:23 pm

Hello !

I am sorry for bumping such an old thread but i myself have been toying with the idea of using Dollarama flooring puzzle foam in various projects. Since i don't know where to find melamine foam in Montreal and dollarama products are readily available ... why not ?

But first i would like to know a few things about it and people here might help. I am primarily concerned about the exact foam material for flammability reasons. not that i would want to put it directly in contact with heat sources but you're never too safe.

EdT suggested those tiles would be closed cell high density polyurethane foam. After a bit of research, most of those tiles seem to be made of EVA (Ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer) but since asking at Dollarama would probably result in a magnificent blank stare and they do not seem to have contact information on their website i wonder if there would be a way to actually know what those sheets are made of ?

For information the most similar product i could find on the web is listed at : http://www.greatmats.com/products/kids-foam-mats.html

So is there a way of actually knowing what the product is made from ? Is there a simple test or would i need something like chemicals or electron microscopes (which i have access to by the way :-) ). And provided the foam can be identified, what are their exact comparative properties ? I could not find anything about the thermal properties of EVA compared to Polyurethane.

Thanks IA

Callous

Post by Callous » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:29 pm

I want to warn you that this is a bad, bad idea.

Take a piece of the leftover foam, then light a match under it for 1/4 of a second - the foam will turn into something close to bubbling fire. If you had lit this under a larger piece of foam, just like in your case, all the foam would have lit up.

Obviously a very bad fire hazard. I took the foam out of my self-converted case for that reason. Putting flamable foam right beside electrical components is a bad idea.

Blacktales

Post by Blacktales » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:06 pm

Thanks a lot. I had not used them yet, not knowing what the result would be but i was on my way to make the match experiment. I guess i won't have to.

I will use the puzzle foam to mod yet another DDR mat then. They are actually really good for that ! :-)

Yet another question about Dollarama products : they are now selling no-name brand Magic Eraser. There were several threads about this material already and if i understand, they are made from melamine foam which is quite resistant to high temperatures ?

I cannot find any reference but is there any way the cheap erasers are not melamine or a poor melamine product ? (They LOOK exactly the same as Mr.Net brand except they have another side made of plain sponge)

Provided the product is actually melamine foam, could i use that to line a hard drive cage for example ?

Callous

Post by Callous » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:38 pm

I too have thought of using Magic Eraser for damping.

However, if you have been watching or reading the news, you would have heard that this particular product is made with formalihyde (stuff used for embalming), which is also considered cancerous.

Now if you have actually used Magic Eraser foam, you would realise the tendency of this product to flake.

I think you can see where this is heading.. especially when you are subjecting this product to higher than normal heat with fans blowing from several places.

I have no idea if this stuff is very flamable or not.

How much is a damping kit anyways? At least the kit is not likely to be a fire hazard. I would buy a kit if I was you.

derekva

Post by derekva » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm

Callous wrote:I too have thought of using Magic Eraser for damping.

However, if you have been watching or reading the news, you would have heard that this particular product is made with formalihyde (stuff used for embalming), which is also considered cancerous.

Now if you have actually used Magic Eraser foam, you would realise the tendency of this product to flake.

I think you can see where this is heading.. especially when you are subjecting this product to higher than normal heat with fans blowing from several places.

I have no idea if this stuff is very flamable or not.

How much is a damping kit anyways? At least the kit is not likely to be a fire hazard. I would buy a kit if I was you.
With regards to Magic Eraser containing formaldehyde - this rumor is false.

On the other hand, I'm sure it burns like a mofo.

-D

Chris Chan

Post by Chris Chan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:02 am

Don't give us pyros ideas.