Simple, cheap CAG noise reduction

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Felger Carbon

Simple, cheap CAG noise reduction

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:45 pm

Cases designed to the Intel TAC 1.1 spec typically have holes in the left side cover, one to cool the video card and one to cool the CPU. These are big holes. Sound (noise) easily passes thru these holes. The sound can be blocked by sealing the holes with heavy stuff, but then the cooling aspect is lost. What to do?

Simple.

Move the computer case to the left of your monitor. You now have a mobo, the mobo base plate, and the case right side cover between any noise and your ear, with no holes for the sound/noise to pass through. This will make a big difference in the noise level. Honest.

Cost: $0.00 (US funds). :)

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Wow, genius!

Post by Firetech » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:03 pm

and here i was trying to think of ways to make the CAG pipe like a straight through performance auto muffler by drilling holes, adding wadding and putting inside a larger piece of drain pipe... :lol:

good work fella... :!:

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:21 am

I always wondered how drunk people are when they post on SPCR... :lol:

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Beer O'clock

Post by Firetech » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:44 am

Aleksi wrote:I always wondered how drunk people are when they post on SPCR... :lol:
My guess = VERY seeing as it's Friday! :roll:

Staats

Post by Staats » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:51 am

Its 5:00 somewhere...

vine-au

Post by vine-au » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:56 pm

I did the same thing about a month ago - mostly to get the computer closer to the window and fresh cool air. But I noticed a drop in noise too - though mostly when Im sitting back from it a little (the top hole lets noise pass straight up at my ears)

Marrs

Post by Marrs » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:38 pm

And for even better cooling and noise reduction, hang the computer out the window (I swear the monitor cable can hold it) :D

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:06 am

vine-au wrote:I did the same thing about a month ago - mostly to get the computer closer to the window and fresh cool air. But I noticed a drop in noise too - though mostly when Im sitting back from it a little (the top hole lets noise pass straight up at my ears)
My #1 computer doesn't have a hole in the top, and it is considerably quieter than my identical #2 computer. I use a KVM switch with #1 sitting to my left and #2 to my right. Naturally, I use the #1 computer as my main computer, on most of the time.

I've been using the #2 computer to experiment with different HSFs (and HSs), ranging from the $6.99 (Newegg) TR2-M6, which cools my Sempron 754 2600+ very well indeed, all the way to a Shogun, Ninja, XP-90, XP-120 and some others. I bought a Raidmax Glacier but never mounted it and recently passed it on to someone else. So, #2 was identical _except_ for the CPU cooler and its fan.

Alas, my idea is the product of actual use and not an overload of Old Muzzleloader. :cry:

I have now settled on a new configuration and will soon have identical computers again to my left and right. Using "passive" Ninjas. :D

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:43 am

wait, so what do you do with P180's top vent? put the computer upside down? :lol:

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:11 am

spolitta wrote:wait, so what do you do with P180's top vent? put the computer upside down? :lol:
Sounds like it might work, but I have no experience with cases that have holes in the top. Why don't you try it with yours and let us know the result? :D

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:20 pm

For those sober-sided individuals who must have the computer case on their right side, I suggest a case such as the Centurian 541, which has the CAG holes on the right (as opposed to left) side panel. Skoal! :wink: