case vibration and sound

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

sthu

case vibration and sound

Post by sthu » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:20 am

I may be wrong but i am okay as long as i can get

how do i find and/or analyse the sound and vibration difference between two cases, apart from feeling, touching and approaching near by. Any cost effective tool or methods or some mathematical calculation.

Just want to do some reasearch on this. You can also cross-reference, if the information is already present within this site.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=8493 is interesting.

thanks

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:17 am

theirs no mathmatical equation as far as i know of.

there are however some rules to less vibrations. steel cases are better than aluminum. thicker panels are better than thin. smaller panels are better than larger ones.

as far as sound/vibration analysis on cases, as far as i know no one does this sort of testing. we just find out about it from word of mouth about specific model cases on a case by case basis. the rules listed above however are a pretty good indication as to how well a specific case will do with vibration and sound dampening

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:35 am

To measure vibration you could use a contact microphone. This is a microphone that sticks to a surface, responding to the surface's vibration directly rather than sound transmitted through the air.

If you have any skill in electronics you can put one together virtually for free by pulling a piezoelectric transducer out of a cheap speaker.