Any white internal card readers for P150?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mkygod

Any white internal card readers for P150?

Post by mkygod » Sun May 21, 2006 4:50 pm

Anyone know any true white colored card reader to match the P150?

Some of the ones im looking at say white, but in the pictures, they are actually beige.

The only white unit ive seen is this http://www.transcendusa.com/products/Mo ... 1&LangNo=0

It looks fairly white, although not 100% sure

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Sun May 21, 2006 5:27 pm

did you look at newegg?
It seems like every internal one is white silver or black, with a few ivory whites. I dont know if any of them are a great match for the p150

Koutech F7210
BYTECC BT-618
SABRENT SBT-ICR42W
PPA Int'l 2292
Athenatech CR-52IN1-

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sun May 21, 2006 10:04 pm

I doubt anything you buy will match perfectly -- the P150 white has a blue cast to it, most white plastics are toward the yellow end of the spectrum. It's probably easier just to buy a card reader and spray paint the fascia (they're fairly easy to disassemble in general). Even finding spray paint which matches under close scrutiny is a challenge -- just goes to show that there's more to white than meets the eye.

mkygod

Post by mkygod » Sun May 21, 2006 10:18 pm

Trunks wrote:did you look at newegg?
It seems like every internal one is white silver or black, with a few ivory whites. I dont know if any of them are a great match for the p150

Koutech F7210
BYTECC BT-618
SABRENT SBT-ICR42W
PPA Int'l 2292
Athenatech CR-52IN1-
Except for maybe the Sabrent one, the rest of them look beige. Sometimes manufacturers are kind of vague and label biege products white.

White im looking for is just white, like washer/dryer white or ipod white. That's the kind of white the P150 is. It shouldnt be that difficult. Doesn't have to match perfect, but it should be white enough that no one will confuse it for beige or light gray.

If I do paint over the face, it will paint over the label lettering, plus I dont want to go to the trouble of it.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon May 22, 2006 6:01 am

mkygod wrote:If I do paint over the face, it will paint over the label lettering, plus I dont want to go to the trouble of it.
1) Do you really need the labeling to know which card goes in what slot?

2) It's not much trouble to paint. The bezel is very easy to remove/replace, white vinyl dye in a spray can can be found at virtually any auto-parts store for around $5 and if you start with a beige bezel, it should only take 1-2 light coats to get the color match you're looking for.

Here's mine:

DaveLessnau

Post by DaveLessnau » Mon May 22, 2006 7:16 am

If you don't need to use many different cards, as an alternative, you could try a Simple Tech BONZAI USB 2.0 CARD READER (STI-USB2BONZAI). I'd post the link from Amazon, but it's so long it would probably mess up the message display on the board (and I'm too lazy to figure out how to work those short URL services).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I don't have one of these things yet. But, it's on my agenda. Basically, it's an empty USB flash drive type of case that you can fill with your own Secure Digital (SD) or MultiMedia Card (MMC). If those are the only formats you need, it might do the job instead of using a full card reader. Plus, it's insanely cheap (I don't know if I'm allowed to post prices here, but it's in the $7 ball-park on Amazon).

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Mon May 22, 2006 2:33 pm

mkygod wrote: ipod white.
BYTECC

clear on white. (or maybe its silver... its maddining nig)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue May 23, 2006 11:39 am

DaveLessnau wrote:I'd post the link from Amazon, but it's so long it would probably mess up the message display on the board (and I'm too lazy to figure out how to work those short URL services).
Here's the link. Figured I'd post it so my parents would know that, 1)
their money wasn't wasted on my college education, and 2)their son isn't lazy. :)