SOLO Vs Sonata

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jozi

SOLO Vs Sonata

Post by jozi » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:08 pm

I really like the SOLO and need some convincing before i retired my old-ish sonata.
What are the main differences in aiding a cooler running pc?
At the min ive the following:
AMD 64 3200 with a SP90 and a Papst 92mm (which i dont think i can hear)
DFI lanparty nf4 mobo
HIS x800xl with the arctic cooler
im using 2 120mm papst fan for intake and exhaust (could be quieter these fans, fan controler wont go slower).
OCZ powerstream 520W (happy enough with this)

I'll either use the 120mm antec that comes with the case if its more quiet than the papst. Is there a need for 2x 92mm fans in the case, should i get 2 more papst?
Ill prob ditch the fan controler i have and go for a T-Ban BigNG to free up a drive bay.

What the solo like to work with? I found the sonata can be a little cramped at times.

As is my curent setup is pretty cool, i dont think the cpu goes much over 40 when gaming and the gfx is about the same, should the solo show similar temps with less noise?

Thanks,
Brendan

EDIT: i was going to get a P180 but i think it may be to big, also i think the solo asteatically is nicer (did i spell that right :D )

eoctanker

Solo is an awesome case

Post by eoctanker » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:54 am

If you check out my review, alot of questions will be answered. My sig says what I have also. I found the case to be extremely easy to work with. No issues with sharp edges, Asus mobo fit very nicely, retention points were exactly where they are supposed to be. Airflow is great with only the exhaust fan running (I can feel the airflow getting pulled in the front bezel with the tri-cool fan on low). My CPU and Mobo run between 27C and 34C at all times. The only noise I hear is the woosh of air leaving the case and I may mod this by removing the grill! Case damping is also extrememly good. It quiets the noisy stock cooler on my 7900GT also. Last night I walked over to where the computer was and if it wasn't for the lights on, I would not have known it was on!

As far as cramped goes, I think I have the largest CPU HS on the market and I can still get my hands in there to connect stuff. I will definatley have to take out my graphics card when I go back in to connect the Audio cable which is in between the CPU HS and the graphics card.

As far as the additional 92mm fans, I have mine on order 2X92mm Nexus. I will let you know if there is any additional cooling when they are installed.

jozi

Post by jozi » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:26 am

I actually spent the evening reading trough the Antec Solo thread which got more and more interesting as the pages went and i also read your to.

I'd say i prob go for a solo few other things i want to make my mind up on first before i buy it.

Pitty there's so little difference in the prices of the solo and the p150. I'd nearly be tempted to buy the p150 just for the psu (and sell it of) and pait the case black and silver. Also like the stealth drives that come with the p150, are these avail for the solo to?

Please let me know how much difference the 2 nexus fans will make. I think ill ditch my papst and try find a retailer with the case and nexus fans (im in ireland so us stores are not an option :( )

jozi

Post by jozi » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:10 pm

I'm having trouble finding a solo and the few other items i require.

Idea: Get a P150 and paint it black?

Trunks

Re: SOLO Vs Sonata

Post by Trunks » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:48 pm

jozi wrote:I really like the SOLO and need some convincing before i retired my old-ish sonata.
I don’t think you will see a benefit other than cosmetic. If you are often moving your hard drives the sonata is better in my mind.

eoctanker

Post by eoctanker » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:44 am

I don't know anything about the sonata, but the Solo has both the rail and suspension system for the hard drives. I am currently using the rails right now becuase I am not done modding my system. I have almost no noise from my HD in this configuration and it is totally stable. The silcon grommets totally isolate the HD from the rails and the frame. So, there is no issue with the stability of the Solo when moving in this configuration.

Once again, I cannot compare it to the Sonata, so whether it is better, I don't know...

jozi

Post by jozi » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:45 am

For looks i think the SOLO is the better looking case compared to the sonata.

In the mean time ive noticed OverClockers in the uk have the SOLO back in stock :D I just need to see about 2 92mm fans and maybe a 120mm before putting in a order

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

SOLO damping

Post by gb115b » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:14 am

isn't the SOLO made out of the same damping material as the P180 ?

shouldn't that make it quieter?

jozi

Post by jozi » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:57 am

As far as i know the solo is steel with foam or rubber or somehting on the inside for damping noise.

I'll know in 2 days when the case arrives :D

Shadowknight

Re: SOLO damping

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:01 pm

gb115b wrote:isn't the SOLO made out of the same damping material as the P180 ?

The P180 is made of al/plastic/al. The P150 has a piece of plastic on each of the side panels. It's not quite as effective as the P180 in terms of cooling/vibration dampening

jimmyzaas

Post by jimmyzaas » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:29 pm

Shadowknight wrote:
gb115b wrote:isn't the SOLO made out of the same damping material as the P180 ?

The P180 is made of al/plastic/al. The P150 has a piece of plastic on each of the side panels. It's not quite as effective as the P180 in terms of cooling/vibration dampening
I disagree. I don't know which would vibrate more. Steel and plastic? or Alu plastic alu.. I mean steel is higher in density than alu. In the long run, i don't think there is much difference between the two and both are pretty effective. As far as cooling is concerned, i thought I saw something on SPCR that said there is no advantage to having an ALU case over a Steel case. Please correct me if I'm wrong.. but isn't that just a silly myth?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:14 pm

jimmyzaas wrote: I disagree. I don't know which would vibrate more. Steel and plastic? or Alu plastic alu.. I mean steel is higher in density than alu. In the long run, i don't think there is much difference between the two and both are pretty effective. As far as cooling is concerned, i thought I saw something on SPCR that said there is no advantage to having an ALU case over a Steel case. Please correct me if I'm wrong.. but isn't that just a silly myth?
1. While the P150 panels are less likely to vibrate than regular panels, the P180 panels are still heavier/more dense. The additional weight decrease the amount of amount of vibrational noise.
2. As for the myth, are you saying that the myth is that aluminum DOESN'T cool better, or the myth that is DOES cool better. Claims that aluminum cases cool better are false. The only component that directly touches the case, and might get a benefit, is the hard drive. I don't know if there has been any scientific testing, but the drive might get 1 or 2C better temps in the aluminum case. Tops. Computer cooling is based on airflow. Even a slow case fan moves hot air out quick enough that heat generated by components doesn't have enough time to try to use the case as a heatsink, with the components NOT touching the case in the first place. Without the case fan, you're going to get thermal overload since modern components need cool air to deal with the heat generated. The only time metal type matters is with cases that are DESIGNED to be used passively, such as case by Hush and the Zalman TNN series. But for a normal style ATX case, there is no improvement in cooling based on case material. The only difference is weight and resistance to vibrations.

jozi

Post by jozi » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:23 pm

Got the case 2 days ago. Spent 1st evening cutting out the rear fan grill and tonight rebuilding my system into it.
It took me ages (2 maybe 3 hrs) to rebuild, got most of the cables tucked away behind things.
Thanks antec for making both panels removable, its a blesing to say the least.
Not sure how much more quiet thi sis over my sonata. I've a extra fan in here over my previous case. I can hear it sitting at my desk. I want to get my hands on a T-Balancer so i can ditch the coolermast yoke i have at the min.

Over all happy enough so far, real test will be tonight if i leave it on while in bed.

For once no cuts or grazes after a rebuild :)

EDIT: Running prime at the min, so far highest temp for cpu is 41C, i ran it earlier in my old case and it just reached 50C

Also a ticking noise has developed, the arctic cooler on the gfx card??? Will look at it tomorrow

eoctanker

Post by eoctanker » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:01 pm

Did you listen to the fan with the grill in and then with the grill out? I am very interested to find out if this makes any noticable difference. I am getting ready to replace the tri-cool with a Nexus and might as well cut out the grill while I have the fan out (if it makes any difference...). Please let me know, the suspense is killing me!

jozi

Post by jozi » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:53 am

I didnt actually.
It made a slight difference with my last case so i just cut it out.
As you can see from the pic, my dremel slipped a few times :oops: