How are the Sonata 2's hard drive grommets

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

acyf

Post by acyf » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:20 pm

HDD vibration will induce weird noise off the side panel.

darthan

Post by darthan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:51 pm

Well, the Sonata 2 grommets are the same as the Sonata 1 grommets. That is, they are fairly hard. I expect them to do something, but not that much to reduce vibration. Remember to fasten the drive screws loosely or the grommets are useless.

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:10 pm

Here's a very inexpensive methodto improve on the Sonata HDD grommets. At least it's inexpensive if you have access to #6-32 screws.

Trunks

Re: How are the Sonata 2's hard drive grommets

Post by Trunks » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:10 am

teomilke wrote:Hey,
i was wondering how effective the hard drive grommets that come with the sonata 2 at reducing hard drive noise and vibration.
This might be a bad question but are you using the case, or just reusing the grommets? Are you considering a different grommet, or suspension or silent box?

They do nothing really for noise coming out of the drive, but vibration wise they are a world of difference from HD to case contact, but not as good as suspension.

If it is for a buddy that is not going to take out his drive every time he moves his computer, and the machine has at lease one fan, I would not hesitate to use the stock HD mount (vs suspension), I do not think it would make a difference.