Monitoring Temperature Inside Tower

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

DJCoryMinto

Monitoring Temperature Inside Tower

Post by DJCoryMinto » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:13 pm

Hey guys!
What is a normal temperature inside of a tower? What is too hot? Also, to my knowledge, I don't have a case-temp-sensor in my tower. I'm assuming that it WOULDN'T be on my Asus P5GDC Deluxe motherboard. Can you recommend a case-temp-sensor? My MB does, however, have a sensor for the MB temperature. While I'm at it, what are normal and "too hot" temps for MBs?

I'm not using any tower fans, altho they are there and mounted, waiting to be turned on. I am avoiding the noise associated with them. I have been going without any case fans for months now, without any noticeable issues. But I'm concerned that the tower may be too hot and problems would be imminent.

Asus P5GDC Deluxe.
Case: Antec Server Tower (dunno model number, it's apparently not on their site anymore.)
3 WD Raptors, 2 of which @ 10,000 RPM
Zalman Reserator-1 Plus, cooling both the GPU and the P4 3.6 chip.

All replies are, of course, appreciated. :-)

justblair

Post by justblair » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:00 pm

What do you want your case temps to be monitored so that you can auto control fan speeds, or are you just wanting a readout of the temp.

If its the former and your ambitious you can make a temp sensor for your case that can be read by temperature monitoring software such as speedfan.

There is a good thread here that inspired me to take on the project.

maxim temperature monitor

If you just want an external readout there are various manufacturers that make them... I dont have experiance of these, but I am sure some others here will have tried them.

I went for the former, and what a rewarding project it was. Its not even that hard to do, though it looks at first glance to be a difficult project.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:43 pm

If you want to monitor a bunch of temps.....get a DigitalDoc 5. It takes a 5.25" bay, and comes with eight long temp probes. It cycles through the temps on a back-lighted LCD screen. I've seen these as cheap as $18 here and there....

DJCoryMinto

Post by DJCoryMinto » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:08 pm

Indeed, I just want a readout of the temp so that I can make sure that problems don't arrive. So what are some good and bad temps for both motherboards and cases?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:21 am

Practically every MB reads it's temp from a different spot. So there's no definite answer here. And the internal case temps vary also, and depend on the location of the sensor, the amount of airflow, and the ambient temp.

I like to see every temp reading under 50C......no matter where the sensor is located. YMMV. :lol: