Thoughts on the 92mm Nexus fans

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Bigchris

Thoughts on the 92mm Nexus fans

Post by Bigchris » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:49 pm

While awaiting the arrival of my case I've been mulling over alternative solutions to mounting the intake fans. I've seen the tywrap approach and would sooner opt for a piece of monofilament fishing line or weedwacker cord - but haven't I somewhere seen something that looks like doublesided carpet tape with adhesive applied to both sides of a foam sheet? Seems like that could both mount and seal the fans while isolating vibration.

Also, has anyone considered inserting a zener diode into the 12 volt lead of the fan to drop its voltage to very close to 7 vdc? 4.7 and 5.1 volt zeners are very common and can be had for less than a dime each on Ebay. Running 12v fans that protect hard drives on 5v is okay when the fans are new, but when the fans get older and the bearings start getting a little stiff I'm thinking that's risky. Ditto for using pwm unless it is the BIOS itself that is controlling the fans and I'm not aware of any BIOS that monitors HD temps to control fan speed.

Bill Dunsmore

Post by Bill Dunsmore » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:13 pm

Yes. I use 5 volt Zener diodes to drop 12V to 7V for fans. Works great.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:36 pm

I've used the double stick stuff, both with foam and felt insides but not without some sort of backup like a screw or bolt. I just am not that confident of the stickum. I use some semi soft plastic screws and nuts in addition.

And yes, it does seal the openings quite well.

Bigchris

Post by Bigchris » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:15 am

Belt and suspenders works for me! :)
How long can it be before some enterprising quiet guru starts selling molded soft rubber fan gaskets with molded "tits" on one side that snap into the fan and another set on the opposite side that snap into the chassis bolt holes?;) hint...

Ditto for the zener diodes. If you want to run really low fan voltages, parallel the zener with an electrolytic cap to give the fan a 12v. "kick" at startup.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:15 pm

Hey BigChris, are you proposing a public offering in the future?

It is a good idea. Especially if you made the 'tits' with pop-off nipples. Long enough for any situation but with engineered weak points to allow toolless removal of the excess. I can see the advertising slogan now: "Pinch our nipples for maximum performance and best fit!"

When do we have our first staff meeting?

Bigchris

Post by Bigchris » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:48 am

Whenever you're ready RAFH but it's getting a little chilly now in my state (NC) so how about if we have it in yours? :)

BTW, toenail clippers would also work for the tool impaired. ;)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Re: Thoughts on the 92mm Nexus fans

Post by Tibors » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:22 am

Bigchris wrote:but haven't I somewhere seen something that looks like doublesided carpet tape with adhesive applied to both sides of a foam sheet? Seems like that could both mount and seal the fans while isolating vibration.
Bad idea. The glue dries out and the fans will fall of.

Somebody on these forums once did that with a PSU fan. The result was: One dead PSU.

Bigchris

Post by Bigchris » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:47 am

You paint an ugly picture but thanks for the feedback! And 5 bucks a fan plus shipping for the commercial solution just isn't right either.