Recommendations for "Price is not an issue" cases

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

echn111

Recommendations for "Price is not an issue" cases

Post by echn111 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:19 pm

Would anyone have any recommandation for ultra high-end quiet PC cases?

I have an Antec P180 and am reasonably pleased with it but would like to upgrade to a superior case that :

(1) Looks nice - I'm afraid that if I'm going to spend money on a high end case it is essential that it "looks" like a high end case.
(2) Can handle a reasonably powerful but non-overclocked system such as the Core 2 Extreme processors. Would be willing to compromise down to an E6700.
(3) Is quiet. Doesn't have to be 'totally' silent, but I expect a high end case to be as sound proof as possible.

I like the look of the TNN300, and it is silent, but am unsure if it can handle a high end Conroe system - if someone has information to say that it can, I'd appreciate it. The TNN500 can handle the high end Conroes, but fails, in my opinion, on point 1. It just doesn't look very nice IMHO.

Assuming price is not an issue, is anyone aware of any other ultra high-end PC case alternatives?

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:09 pm

The blurb about the TNN300 on the Zalman website says:
Heat from the CPU is transferred to the heatsink plate through 6 heatpipes each 6 millimeters in diameter and a combined heat transfer capacity of 150 watts. The CPU Block Base is made of pure copper to ensure the highest cooling performance.
Bearing in mind that the top-end Core 2 Extreme has a TDP of just 75W and I'd have thought that this case should be able to handle such as system with ease.

Of course, if you're intending to get a high-end graphics card as well you might need to look elsewhere. Zalman says this case can cool a 75W graphics card but the G80 which NVidia is about to release reportedly dissipates 140W! :shock:

They'll probably do a redesign with the CPU and GPU heatsinks reversed! :P

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:07 pm

going by a pre-configured system here, using the tnn500, it should be able to handle that processor. The 300 is a smaller case and hence the lower price tag and cooling ability.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:28 pm

First question -
1) What constitutes 'looks' for a high end case? That could mean a lot of different things to different people. Some might expect a lot of lights and heavy sculpturing, others might want gold plating, some might expect black chrome finish with cast titanium fittings.
2) Handle can also mean a lot of different things. Do you mean passively as in the case of the Zalmans or just quietly but with the use of fans and/or water-cooling?
3) Sound proof as possible is also subjective.

Not trying to be picky or weird, just trying to get the facts. Not so much for my sake as to help you determine what you want and need.

Most any case will handle nearly any processor with most any graphics card combinations. The difference is how much noise they will produce in the process.

The largest source of sound is usually the fans, if you get quiet fans you will have a quiet rig. If you do what you can to silence those fans, it will be even quieter.

kentc
Friend of SPCR

Post by kentc » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:30 am

i would go for the tnn 300 or 500 and if needed make some omdifications with internal fans and ducting to keep the temperatures down. noise should remain low if some thought is put into the ducting and quality fans are used.

a couple of good looking boxes those two...

kent.

echn111

Post by echn111 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:38 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

I'll be considering the TNN300 since it appears it can handle C2D. With regards to the TNN500, it is a high end case, but probably not for me in terms of looks.

With regards to the qustion of looks, I admit I haven't been very specfic. I'm looking for something elegant that says 'quality' but with no 'flash'.

This may sound unusual, but I'm looking for it to look like it fits into one of those modern apartments/houses. You know the type - white walls, lots of glass furniture, wooden floors, high end surround sound system...and my quiet computer as an elegant piece of high tech furniture.

Basically a place where a Mac would be a home, except I'm not into Macs. (and yes I already own a couple of Sony Vaios.)
RAFH wrote: 2) Handle can also mean a lot of different things. Do you mean passively as in the case of the Zalmans or just quietly but with the use of fans and/or water-cooling?
I'm open to suggestions. Just looking for a case that will handle a powerful system, looks like a decent piece of high tech furniture and doesn't make much noise.

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:41 am

echn111 wrote: I'm open to suggestions. Just looking for a case that will handle a powerful system, looks like a decent piece of high tech furniture and doesn't make much noise.

If money is truly no object and you don't mind having a non-tower desktop-style case, then either the mCubed HFX cases or a ready-built PC from Hush Technologies are other aesthetically attractive options. Both offer passive cooling as well.

nici

Post by nici » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:54 am

As far as looks go, the SilverStone TJ-07 should suit your needs :) It has been reviewed by SPCR.

When i got it a stranger came to me asking if it really is PC hardware, he said he was a mac user and was pretty impressed with this case. It's not often a stranger comes and asks something like that when you buy a computer case..

It's not particularly good at containing noise though, but if you use good heatsinks and a quiet HDD it will be quiet.

It is a really big tower case though, so it's not exactly HTPC looking, but it definately classifies as "high-tech furniture". It does not look bulky or boxy even though it is big.