P150 --- on its side?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

skavan

P150 --- on its side?

Post by skavan » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:55 pm

Hi,

I'm lookingto build a high-end HTPC and need a horizontal/desktop form factor - but can't find a case that has the size and quiteness characteristics I'm looking for. The P150 seems like a great case - but is a vertical/mid-tower rather than a horizontal/desktop...can I just build it and place it on it's side? Will the optical drives/hard drives workfine? any issues with heat/noise?

What I want to build is:
-ASUS P5W HD Deluxe (Standard ATX size)
-Intel E6700 Core Duo
-4Gb Corsair 6400 sticks
-1 x 10K 160Gb Sata Drive
-1 x 7.5k 500Gb Sata Drive
-1 x Sony Blu-Ray Optical Drive
-1 x Toshiba Optical HD-DVD Drive
-Floppy + Card Reader
-nvidia FX4500 OR nvidia 7950 variant with HDCP DVI *and* Component out.
-rme hammerfall hdsp 9632 sound card.

Thoughts? Alternative suggestions? I want it to be quiet and cool...and, sideways!

TIA,
Suresh.

orihara

Post by orihara » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:52 pm

You can't suspend the hard drives when it's on it's side. The front intakes on the right side will also probably end up blocked. You'll also need to put on extra feet on the right side. I don't see any other problems with it being on it's side though.

As far as your system goes, I doubt the Raptor will be quiet.

skavan

Post by skavan » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:04 pm

Thanks for the rapid reply...some follow up q's...

a) driver suspension -- why wouldn't it work? is it that the bungee cords won't hold the drive?

b) re: extra feet - yes.

c) Raptor -- I was thinkingof putting them in one of those copper thingies...unless you think I should head towards a different drive unit?

tx.

orihara

Post by orihara » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:41 pm

skavan wrote:Thanks for the rapid reply...some follow up q's...

a) driver suspension -- why wouldn't it work? is it that the bungee cords won't hold the drive?

b) re: extra feet - yes.

c) Raptor -- I was thinkingof putting them in one of those copper thingies...unless you think I should head towards a different drive unit?

tx.
The drive suspension works with the elastic going side ways when the case is oriented normally. If you lay it on it's side, the drive will slide to the side, and no longer be suspended. If you stick the drives in the drive sleds, there shouldn't be a problem, I think.

It'd probably be best to avoid the raptor. Others have them, and the reports are that they're loud no matter what. In any case, for an HTPC, you don't need the screaming performance of a Raptor.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:53 pm

orihara wrote:It'd probably be best to avoid the raptor. Others have them, and the reports are that they're loud no matter what.
Anecdotal. It depends what you want from a drive. My Raptor is whisper quiet when idle, it just has loud seeks that are audible even when the raptor is inside Scythe Quiet Drive, sitting on foam inside my damped case. Audible, but not loud. Would it matter in a HTPC? Probably not. When you are playing something, the seeks are drowned in the other noise.
In any case, for an HTPC, you don't need the screaming performance of a Raptor.
I agree, it's just not worth it in HTPC. There are cheaper, cooler and quieter drives out there. For example WD Caviar SE16 hard drives. Tops the SPCR recommended and run probably 10c cooler then Raptor.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:06 pm

I have been looking for a larger desktop style case too. The Silverstone CW01 looks good but is VERY pricey (about $275-300 USD).

www.silverstonetek.com/products-cw01.htm

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:24 pm

I have two Raptors, I don't consider them all that loud. The case does a very good job of muting them. You will want to have it in its right side, as the left side is the main access.

I don't see why there would be a problem. You will probably want to use feet that will give you enough clearance to open the bezel.

Actually, the P150/SOLO is one of the best cases for this sort of orientation, as it doesn' have any side vents.

I would note the motherboard you indicate uses a heat pipe cooling solution for the chipset and power system. This may be a problem in the horizontal orientation as the heat pipe's efficiency may be seriously affected. If it looks like it would be a problem, you can mitigate it with additional fans, coolers on the chipset, etc.

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:36 am

it's a shame that there seems to be very few htpc cases with 120mm fans...

i'd check out the antec fusion case...meant to be designed with silence in mind (though only takes mATX form factor)

i was thinking of going a custom route...

check out www.protocase.com

!